Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[CLOSED PR] Enables hunger motive on classic servers
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR

This PR enables the hunger motive for all players on classic servers.
It depletes at the same rate as the RP server hunger motive, you'll generally have to make time to eat twice in a 60 minute long round.
I tested this locally and it seemed to work fine, but I'm writing this at work and would appreciate some folks looking over this and making sure I didn't do it the dumb way.

Why's this needed?

I've long discussed how the Chef suffers from a lack of responsability. The crew don't need him and he doesn't need the crew. Sure, if they do cooperate, the chef can cook with more interesting ingredients and the crew gain access to more food buffs which is great. But they can just as easily ignore each other.

This PR would draw the crew together at the kitchen/cafe/bar roughly twice per round, a mandated lunch and dinner-time when crew naturally get hungry.

The Chef gets to spend the start of their round preparing for the lunch service, safe in the knowledge that their dishes will be eaten.
The crew have to take a small break from their work to head to a central location and spend 30 seconds eating food. (Shenanigans will likely occur during this time, in the same way that they do when the shuttle arrives.)

Note: There are numerous other ways for a crewmember to obtain food, so if a Chef isn't present or they don't want to stop what they're doing, they're welcome to head towards a vending machine or their lunhcbox or otherwise plan ahead expecting to be hungry once every half-hour.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Gannets
(*)Enabled the hunger motive on classic servers.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Some may disagree, but I think this is a mostly harmless change that would make food a more appreciated thing.
This PR isn't getting speedmerged, so please make your opinion known.
I 100% support this - one of my favourite things about GoonRP is that the chef and bartender actually feel useful, and it matters when they do a bad job.
I would be fine with this.

My big issues are - Cheffing is a giant pain in the ass, straight up. I would really like it if it got an overhaul before this was pushed, though it's not a huge deal.

A single staffie can come eat ALL of your food, kinda sucks when you make this giant pretty spread and one guy mashes C and click on everything.

Also please prevent ghost critters from eating. Same reason as above.
(04-21-2022, 08:12 AM)Cal Wrote: I would be fine with this.

My big issues are - Cheffing is a giant pain in the ass, straight up. I would really like it if it got an overhaul before this was pushed, though it's not a huge deal.

A single staffie can come eat ALL of your food, kinda sucks when you make this giant pretty spread and one guy mashes C and click on everything.

Also please prevent ghost critters from eating. Same reason as above.
Give chefs tg's CQC trait so they can beat the shit out of anybody that breaks into their kitchen. Or just create a cool down between eating food items.
Personally all I see this doing is making people eat from vending machines and diner and other such places once in a while. Chef food already has nice buffs and people tend to ignore it. I don't think this is necessarily a bad change but doing it by itself without other relevant changes at the same time won't have a positive impact on the game in my opinion.
(04-21-2022, 08:27 AM)pali6 Wrote: I don't think this is necessarily a bad change but doing it by itself without other relevant changes at the same time won't have a positive impact on the game in my opinion.

Leaning towards this, honestly. I think a cooking or food overhaul is in order, first.

Maint cooking would be a funny thing.
Compressing my thoughts here on this:
I like the idea of a simple hunger motive on classic. At the barest minimum it encourages players to return to the station, and more commonly traveled areas as opposed to sitting in their dept all round. Encourage being the key word. You still don't have to leave artlab all round if you really don't want to. It's a minor stamina debuff. But even forcing the scientist to leave artlab and move into the main hall makes it easier for antags to hunt targets or engage them. Traitors waiting by a vending machine because they know it's the closest one to research, stuff like that. Same for miners. You don't HAVE to return to the station, but you get a small debuff if you don't.

Regarding sources of food: There's like 7 snack vending machines on cog1 alone, not to mention pizza vendors and soda vendors. There's so many safe sources of food for lamer nerds who won't touch chef food

chef is possibly a traitor and poisoned the food and you don't want to eat shitty junk food? go to diner and make food. now you're alone and off station, good time for BAD GUYS ™ to kill you

also another good (imo) reason for food/hunger: If gives you slightly more reason to care about money. If the HoP drains everyones bank accounts and you can't buy food now everyone will be upset OR have to go to kitchen/diner.

All in all Pros:
more crew interactions
more crew appearances in busier areas
more reasons to care about eating food
more reasons to care about money
Cons:
minor debuff to stamina if you don't eat twice in an hour
Well ackthualy starving is a -15 health debuff, you're confusing it with the -5 stamina regen that being thirsty gives you.

Also I agree with cal that a cooking rework would be a nice thing to go alongside this PR or following it as while I don't mind cooking it isn't an amazing system and is really bad from the code side of things. The change seems good and makes chefs somewhat more useful as before they were just there to make meme food or soups that would be better at healing people than all of the medbay staff combined which doesn't sound like the type of thing devs want from the role.
While i am fine with this being merged under the current motive system, a rework of it would do wonders. I think while not all the specifics would work (nor should we port another servers mechanics entirely) inspiration from how eris deals with food would be good. In short breaking food down into one or more categories (savory, sweet, greasy, etc) and having temporary desires for eating food of these specific categories, with buffs from doing so. This makes cooperation rewarded instead of lack of cooperation punished (though some punishment for still not eating would be good).

Some additional chef content would be good too, something i think would be good is an easier way to make food in bulk. Something like a tray where you can put groups of ingredients to cook them all at once.
I absolutely agree that a larger kitchen rework is in-order. Please make sure you mention if you'd like this PR to go ahead without it though in your comments.
(04-21-2022, 08:27 AM)pali6 Wrote: Personally all I see this doing is making people eat from vending machines and diner and other such places once in a while. Chef food already has nice buffs and people tend to ignore it. I don't think this is necessarily a bad change but doing it by itself without other relevant changes at the same time won't have a positive impact on the game in my opinion.

Agreed.

In general I think motives have little depth and don't contribute much to gameplay. We've also wanted to rework them for a while, but... :sheltersweat:

I don't think this change would be good or really promote crew interaction or cooperation. UI-wise it'd suck to have a single motive icon stuck to the side of your screen. Design-wise it's weird to have this single motive that doesn't even really do much besides compel you to eat (or not) like once a round. Imo, even something like giving the bar + kitchen an announcement computer would promote more lunch service type interactions.
To address at least ONE issue, namely the fact that a single staffie can horf down all your food in a minute:

Maybe stomachs should be containers and can only hold so many pieces of food, and trying to horf more down would deal stomach damage and just cause vomiting, and at some point just refuse to let you eat more.

I do agree though that yeah, an overhaul to cooking is in order. M U C H easier said than done though, given the absolute spaghetti copy/pasted code state that is cooking code.
I see 3 problems not addressed yet:

1: The chef and sous chef might be antags. Thus on classic, this might start valid hunting chefs if they aren't cooking food right away.
2: Other food products will be isolated much faster, so people will start making lines for vending machines if the chef aint in.
3: People will ask for an easy way to feed themselves.