Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[CLOSED PR] Enables hunger motive on classic servers
I have been hoping for hunger and thirst motive for forever, because then it actually gives some nice incentives to use the vending machines and most importantly, THE CHEF! HUZZAH!

Oh the Maintenance soups that will be served at the bar, the rat burgers and cockroach salads. This shall be glorious. Speedmerge.
catch me searing a piece of raw meat with a welder in the maint tunnels like a fucking rat
The single biggest (and most-overlooked) issue with motives is the way they're displayed to the player. It's super difficult to actually realize you're hungry or thirsty (this is as someone who mainly plays on rp) and the game doesn't really have good cues.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the majority of opinions shared here are going to be coming from experienced players with hundreds of hours in this game and years in the community, so try to think back to when you were first playing and really think if you ever remember paying attentions to motives. I sure as hell didn't understand them until a LONG time after I started playing, and even then it was still a bit confusing.
A tummy rumbling noise would help imo.
I'd honestly say just give more bonuses for food instead of forcing people to eat.
If they bonuses were good then people would eat the chefs food more.
One idea could be restricting the dying mechanic tied to zero hunger to rp, so people would only be de-buffed on classic, without out right being killed for not eating.
You do not die on RP for being hungry.
I'm all up for making chef more involved but this just isn't it. Crew will more likely go towards a vending machine rather than touch the chef's cooking which may just kill them on the spot. It's a better idea to make cooking bonuses stronger, that way people would have more of a reason to get anywhere near the chef's war crimes.
(04-23-2022, 07:01 AM)Josephin12 Wrote: I'm all up for making chef more involved but this just isn't it. Crew will more likely go towards a vending machine rather than touch the chef's cooking which may just kill them on the spot. It's a better idea to make cooking bonuses stronger, that way people would have more of a reason to get anywhere near the chef's war crimes.

I think this is probaly the best idea.
I can see on classic that people will just rather kill a random rat or bug and cook food themselves then dealing with a possible TRAITOR CHEF.

I'd say minus food buffs I recommend:
- Buffs for keeping hunger above 80% (you start at 50% aka neutral)
- Debuffs for going below 20% (Keep em as it is)
- Stuns of hunger at 0%. (Not killing them but you are so hungry/thristy that you get dizzy and are stunned for a second)

Why start at 50% hunger/thrist? Wouldn't this crowd the chef? Yes... but it will also give the LUNCHBOX pre-purcase item some use.
As well some vendors or have science make some sort of food pill early on.
Heck if you spawn on the space diner you can eat there!

Then when you get above 80% you get buffs.

As for food buffs.. well I wouldn't know how to balance it. So... this was just an idea
(04-21-2022, 09:13 AM)Ikea Wrote: While i am fine with this being merged under the current motive system, a rework of it would do wonders. I think while not all the specifics would work (nor should we port another servers mechanics entirely) inspiration from how eris deals with food would be good. In short breaking food down into one or more categories (savory, sweet, greasy, etc) and having temporary desires for eating food of these specific categories, with buffs from doing so. This makes cooperation rewarded instead of lack of cooperation punished (though some punishment for still not eating would be good).

Some additional chef content would be good too, something i think would be good is an easier way to make food in bulk. Something like a tray where you can put groups of ingredients to cook them all at once.

A tray to mass produce donuts, cookies, pastries, etc... would be the nicest thing ever for chefs
i like this, always wanted this, now i can finally min max my hunger by feeding on maint rat meat
I like this a lot. I mean even when the chef is away there's enough food machines and cheap options that even in a long round, it should be fine. If it's an issue I'd say maybe fine-tune it and make it slower than the hunger meter on RP so they don't need to eat as much.
(04-24-2022, 01:02 AM)Filthy Steve Wrote: I like this a lot. I mean even when the chef is away there's enough food machines and cheap options that even in a long round, it should be fine. If it's an issue I'd say maybe fine-tune it and make it slower than the hunger meter on RP so they don't need to eat as much.

Honestly I wouldn’t change the length, if you time it right on rp you don’t generally need to eat more than once if you eat a filling meal around the 45 minute mark. And since classic rounds are shorter you can eat a bit before the debuffs set in and still have only eaten once.
(04-21-2022, 05:02 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I'd honestly say just give more bonuses for food instead of forcing people to eat.

The buffs are crazy good already but nobody eats. 

+40 to max health,  1hp regen a second (better than it sounds), healing up to 10 damage or more per bite,  +30 to max stamina,  etc...

People legit just don't care how strong food is,  they won't eat it
(04-24-2022, 08:46 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(04-21-2022, 05:02 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I'd honestly say just give more bonuses for food instead of forcing people to eat.

The buffs are crazy good already but nobody eats. 

+40 to max health,  1hp regen a second (better than it sounds), healing up to 10 damage or more per bite,  +30 to max stamina,  etc...

People legit just don't care how strong food is,  they won't eat it
I think part of the problem there is the bonus isn’t pointed out clearly. A message in the chat log along the lines of you have gained +30 to stamina after the food description would make things more transparent and encourage people to eat.