Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suggestion: Slightly more indications for heavily crit people?
I was thinking about this at work - Perhaps a few more indications that someone is in critical condition and needs help could be applied visually?

1. Twitching slightly, maybe only if in crit from toxins?
2. Coughing blood? Maybe on high brute? just a decal and not a puddle or it'd get super annoying.

At the moment, the only way to indicate that you really need help is to roll around in place by mashing movement, which honestly works fine, but it could be just a tad more dramatic.
Hmm I always found the crit gasping relatively obvious but maybe we could add something. Some simple red particlesfor the bleeding? But then again it feels a bit weird ahen bleeding already is its own status effect with its own mechanical implications. You might get people trying to bandage the patient and failing after seeing blood. Hmmmm, not sure what the best indicator would be.
(04-19-2022, 01:16 PM)pali6 Wrote: Hmm I always found the crit gasping relatively obvious but maybe we could add something.

It is, but some people actually play with sound off.

I think a simple one we can do is add more dramatic custom emotes for people in critical condition so you see it over their heads rather than just "gasps". Maybe like gasps raggedly or even just "struggles to breathe" or something.

I still think people twitching around if they're in crit is good, could even use the "*twitch_v" emote for this with a 5 or so second cooldown?
We have the blood spray effect for bullets and surgery missteps, and the surgery one is decently big but still not terribly visible, and I don't think making it much bigger would look good, just cartoonish. And the issue everyone's pal raised with blood kinds rules that out anyway.

Twitching/shaking is fine, I thought it already did that, maybe that's just the heart attack/shock and it's not needed. Twitch_v causes a short stun iirc, so I'd be hesitant to use that for making solely visual changes.

I hadn't thought of this until right now, but I think something that could work is to bring back the old "--URK" "-AARG" messages that inturrupt your chat mid-text when you get ko-ed while having text in the say command. Which sorta fell off when pressing "T" to speak (which couldn't easily replicate that functionality) became used more often than the say verb.
(04-19-2022, 08:22 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I hadn't thought of this until right now, but I think something that could work is to bring back the old "--URK" "-AARG" messages that inturrupt your chat mid-text when you get ko-ed while having text in the say command. Which sorta fell off when pressing "T" to speak (which couldn't easily replicate that functionality) became used more often than the say verb.

How would we bring them back though, T still uses a textbox? I believe when I brought up using tgui for that instead, I was told this would cause slight lag before you could type your message, which many found unacceptable, so I don't really see how we'd implement the messages for people who use the T button.
Why not add another item on the list for something silly... like a health monitor item a person can carry on them?
Then again that seems hard to code.. so maybe not.

Another idea could be simple. Convulsing, an animation like twitch to show the charater is in crit. Maybe similiar to vampire stun recovery?
Convulsing can also do minor brute damage to themselves? Eh an idea.
Bringing back urk for being hit could be good balance wise too but completely different conversation there, having urk work again when you pass out seems good, its always annoying when youre in that stage of crit to where youre periodically becoming conscious but only for a split second, and unable to send out a message.
Add stammering to crit or just any of the heart failures and add URK, HRK, AHHG or whatever to the T:say line if you can.
Beyond that, I'd say just have crit be worse because I already hate how weak crit is, and is a reason why its so hard to recognize. A crewman just walking along the corridor is in fact, near death but you don't know this.
I've been meaning to add a hardcrit heart to the doctor goggles, so there's that coming at some point or another
Honestly, crit should be stunning you more. It's ridiculous how easy it is to continue life as normal while literally being on the verge of death. A big part of why lethals are so weak compared to stuns is the balancing of crit.
a more drastic change would be to have crit people be stuck at rest and forced to crawl and maybe a chance roll to get up until shoved back down again in which it will be a perpetual cycle of the aggressor taunting the crit person trying to get up and fight back but thats kind of a stretch and im also digressing from this topic

but yeah, i think people should be coughing and wheezing when theyre crit
Honestly, even if its only marginally close, I'd like to have what Nile suggested. You usually don't get onset cardiac arrest and sprint off towards medbay, you should be debilitated. In the end I'd hope it would be like that, it would be rough yes, but could also allow for dramatic situations.

Also for when people bring it up. Yes, if you're forced prone when you go into crit, you are completely at the mercy of the person killing you, but if I was killing you? If you went downed and I knew for a fact you were VERY much so a non-threat, I personally wouldn't kill you. But right now as it works? I will beat the absolute shit out of you until you die, because I know for a fact, you will stand back up and fight to the last. The change might save lives and not cost them for players.
Nah I think the resilience is a key factor of why this server is more fun for me. Being able to trudge away to at the very least heal up and try again is a better story than "a guy c sabered me twice and that was it"

Also yes it's off the topic
(04-25-2022, 11:07 PM)Nihisohel Wrote: a more drastic change would be to have crit people be stuck at rest and forced to crawl and maybe a chance roll to get up until shoved back down again in which it will be a perpetual cycle of the aggressor taunting the crit person trying to get up and fight back but thats kind of a stretch and im also digressing from this topic

but yeah, i think people should be coughing and wheezing when theyre crit

100% agreed