Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Syndicate Rancher needs some love!
Ok Rancher has been around long enough with a pretty robust in game system of breeding chickens of every shape and color. But they do lack one thing, unique traitor gear. I have a couple thoughts on things to maybe give them.

One would be early access to specific antag chicken eggs, like cockatrice and raptor. But overall I would like to not completely undermine the ranching system as is. 

A lasso that could be used as a ranged grapple from says 3 squares out. I am no coder so I have no idea how that would play out.

Easier idea some steel toed cowboy boots to kick some nerds while they are down/dropkick the hell out of them.

A portal similar to the fish portal that instead pulls in random doodle critters everytime you fish out of it has a limited number of charges before it needs to be put in a charger. These critters are not friendly to you but you have 5 seconds to leave the area before they become hostile to everything around them.

Sharpened knitting needle and shears. Yeah very sharp if you target the head with needle you have a very good chance of mangling somebodies eye. If you target the body with the shears from behind you can remove butts or tails.

Hacked babymonitor gives you a portable camera system with every camera on the station for great surveillance.

Anyway these are just some thoughts hopefully someone takes this thread and runs with it.
if we're giving a lasso to rancher give chef a meat hook
COME HERE!
Wait, ranchers still have no unique traitor items a over a year after being added? I thought zewaka said that any new roundstart jobs being added needed to have traitor items. They didn't give rancher special treatment because it was an admin's pet project, did they?

Anyway yeah I like the idea of a lasso or other cowboy-themed items for traitor ranchers, given their theming. Maybe give them a sharps-esque falling block rifle that acts like a nukeops sniper but without wallbang and needing to be reloaded after every shot.
I have a rancher traitor item I want to add if someone wants to give me a sprite

It’s actually already coded too, can go live basically whenever

The chicken grenade, you insert any 5 eggs of your choosing and when it detonated it hatches 5 adult roosters set to be aggressive to all but the owner

The dream sprite would allow me to add the chosen egg sprites as overlays. That was you can visually see the egg types inside
nitroglycern glass chickens
did i ever suggest the rocket launcher that accepted chickens as ammo or did i keep putting that off
(04-15-2022, 11:05 AM)Mouse Wrote: did i ever suggest the rocket launcher that accepted chickens as ammo or did i keep putting that off

A bow ala Hot Shots would also be acceptable.
(04-15-2022, 10:48 AM)Lady Birb Wrote: Wait, ranchers still have no unique traitor items a over a year after being added? I thought zewaka said that any new roundstart jobs being added needed to have traitor items. They didn't give rancher special treatment because it was an admin's pet project, did they?

This is my fault not Zewaka's

I coded the original cog1 ranch and most of the rancher job more or less in secret as a surprise for Emily, since she just wanted chickens to be a normal botany thing

After it launched I promised the team that I would make traitor stuff for the rancher, but then got distracted when I got a tremendous work promotion that devoured my freetime for months and set me off track

Then when I began to rediscover work life balance I opted instead to refactor chicken code before trying to make any traitor stuff, as the original code needed some serious refactoring to make adding new chickens and stuff not a tremendous bug prone chore.

After that I shifted focus to the sequel to my first adventure zone, working to publiush Dino Jason's Oatmeal. People really loved the first one, and I really loved watching people exploring and chatting about it so I set out to make the sequel the best that I could provide to the players. That took up basically all my will to code for a while after basically burning out from coding thousands upon thousands of lines for the mob ai, green goo, various puzzles that I won't spoil here, coming up with story and dialogue, etc, etc (A LOT of time went into that zone, months)

After that I really wanted to make an antag, so I binge coded arcfiend

since then I've been mostly on bug patrol and working on Home Labs which is intended to be the third installment of the slime adventures

and now here we are, back to ranchers
(04-15-2022, 10:48 AM)Lady Birb Wrote: Wait, ranchers still have no unique traitor items a over a year after being added? I thought zewaka said that any new roundstart jobs being added needed to have traitor items. They didn't give rancher special treatment because it was an admin's pet project, did they?

Putting aside the eye-rollingly bad faith tone behind this message, the reason why ranchers didn't launch with traitor items is because the job, itself, provides its own traitor items.

You got your EMP eggs, your eggs that let you breath fire, your eggs that let you pass through any door without having to hack or open it, eggs that give you vampire glare, chickens that cluwne people, your 10 damage per hit raptor posse, your mime-cubes that let you trap people into invisible boxes you can still hit them through, your near-instant-diabetic-coma candy eggs, etc. etc. etc.

They don't strictly need traitor items to have a unique job-traitor identity. The rancher traitor kills you with eggs and chickens. Soon, they'll kill you with sheep too.

That said, I think that further traitor item suggestions/code that focus on that identity are cool. T help everyone focus their ideas: they're less a "cowboy" and more of a "monster tamer". Items that build off of, improve, or make more lethal their flock are good ideas.
(04-15-2022, 12:39 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 10:48 AM)Lady Birb Wrote: (snip)

Putting aside the eye-rollingly bad faith tone behind this message,

Tone aside, I feel like I worded my point poorly. I wasn't trying to say "rancher shouldn't have been added without traitor items", but "requiring new roundstart jobs have traitor items is a dumb requirement in the first place and feels like it was just made up as an excuse to be an asshat to livvy"
However, I still feel like I need to respond to the rest of this post.

Quote:the reason why ranchers didn't launch with traitor items is because the job, itself, provides its own traitor items.

You got your EMP eggs, your eggs that let you breath fire, your eggs that let you pass through any door without having to hack or open it, eggs that give you vampire glare, chickens that cluwne people, your 10 damage per hit raptor posse, your mime-cubes that let you trap people into invisible boxes you can still hit them through, your near-instant-diabetic-coma candy eggs, etc. etc. etc.

They don't strictly need traitor items to have a unique job-traitor identity. The rancher traitor kills you with eggs and chickens. Soon, they'll kill you with sheep too.

scientists can make a shitload of poisons in chemistry, make TTVs and canbombs with toxins, or surround the telepad with walls and warp people into space, but they still get syringe guns and poison bottles
geneticists can give themselves laser eyes and the ability to phase through walls, but they still have speed injectors and mindslave cloners
botanists can grow killer/explosive tomatoes, but they still get maneaters and wasp grenades
A job already having ways to kill people doesn't mean they can't have unique traitor items
I dont think you got there point? There point wasnt that jobs having ways to kill people cant have unique traitor items, it was that jobs need unique ways to kill people/do antag stuff which one of the ways can be traitor items.
(04-15-2022, 10:48 AM)Lady Birb Wrote:  zewaka said that any new roundstart jobs being added needed to have traitor items.
That said, I think that further traitor item suggestions/code that focus on that identity are cool. T help everyone focus their ideas: they're less a "cowboy" and more of a "monster tamer". Items that build off of, improve, or make more lethal their flock are good ideas.

[Image: BEalagG.png]

and there could be more I just haven't played the job much
(04-15-2022, 01:38 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 10:48 AM)Lady Birb Wrote:  zewaka said that any new roundstart jobs being added needed to have traitor items.

[Image: BEalagG.png]

and there could be more I just haven't played the job much

I'll say it again: even if my point wasn't about rancher needing traitor items, this is a bad argument because there are already jobs that have unique features that are only useful for antagonists(eg. science has all the resources needed to make canbombs as a non-antagonist, but there is no reason to ever build one unless you are an antagonist), and these jobs still got unique traitor items.
(04-15-2022, 01:02 PM)Ikea Wrote: I dont think you got there point? There point wasnt that jobs having ways to kill people cant have unique traitor items, it was that jobs need unique ways to kill people/do antag stuff which one of the ways can be traitor items.