Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead bodies are gross
We're scientists (and not biologists before one of you starts) in most cases, not hardened space badasses.

So why don't corpses bother us? Why are we happy to deal with corpses in the local vicinity and just letting them rot?

I feel that corpses being visible should do something to average, non traitor players. Nothing debilitating (perhaps not being able to eat if there's something rotten nearby?) but the occasional annoying message. This might encourage people to remove corpses and put them in useful places rather than just lying in corridors.

Who would be immune? People who deal with corpses, so roboticists, geneticists perhaps. Maybe the chef. Traitors definitely shouldn't be affected.

I dunno, I'm not sure if this has legs, but it might be worth discussing so that people do things a little more useful with bodies rather than ignoring them.
I'm just gonna go ahead and post the chain of thought I had, at least half of it is stupid, but maybe something would be useful:

The Chaplain should definitely be used to handling corpses.

Maybe if he could perform an on-the-spot ritual to preserve or sanctify a corpse that could be cool.

On-site incineration, maybe. Douse it in welding fuel and light it up, burn it to ash, no more corpse.

If anyone could do that, that would just lead to a lot more gibbing and angry players who can't be revived.

Maybe make it a chaplain option. If any chaplain could do it, though, same deal, just more people angry at the chaplain. Maybe a traitor object, a super lighter or limited number of applications of flaming corpse balm.

Do the morgue units prevent decay? I've seen people use them like all of once, and I was reviving them about as fast as they came in.
Rotting bodies don't really cause Disease but do cause miasma, which can make you feel sick and vomit. That and rats coming out to feed on the body.
Traitors eating around dead bodies would be a giveaway. I'd rather not get caught out because I ate a donkpocket. It would be funny.
miasma is a fancy word for "stank"

This is a super cool idea. That said, any visible effects of this have to be rare or varied enough that it's not a ridiculously easy tell that someone's a traitor because they aren't puking all over the place. I'm trying to think of some "fun" effects that being around a bunch of corpses could have.
Wonkmin Wrote:Who would be immune? People who deal with corpses, so roboticists, geneticists perhaps. Maybe the chef. Traitors definitely shouldn't be affected.
assistants

let's be honest, here, assistants probably spend more time around corpses than anyone else.
If Pathology gets implemented, rotted corpses could spread disease: that would be a very good incentive to have them removed.
Embolism Wrote:If Pathology gets implemented, rotted corpses could spread disease: that would be a very good incentive to have them removed.

not if but when!!!
bubs Wrote:miasma is a fancy word for "stank"

This is a super cool idea. That said, any visible effects of this have to be rare or varied enough that it's not a ridiculously easy tell that someone's a traitor because they aren't puking all over the place. I'm trying to think of some "fun" effects that being around a bunch of corpses could have.

What if they exhibited the outward signs ("Barry Buttface looks queasy!") but didn't actually suffer the effects. That way they'd look no different.
People who deal with corpses: Geneticists, roboticists, the chaplain and the medical director.
The detective and doctors could possibly be OK with handling corpses as well.
Even jobs that handle the dead should get some of the negative effect after the body has reached a certain rotting point.(maybe not the detective?) Since they handle fresh bodies, not nasty rotting piles of gross.
Maybe when a rotting body is around you could get too queasy to do certain tasks? Such as using computers, operate on people, do chemistry, etc.
That might be a bit extreme, but it has a quick fix. Just drag the body elsewhere.
There's already a Stinky bioeffect, I'll see if I can make it run on dead people past decomp stage 1.
This would also be super useful, because it would tell you when a body has degraded past the point of cloning. If it's a fresh kill, it wouldn't stink, and it would alert people that they need to take it to genetics ASAP. If it's rotting, and stinking up the place, people would know that it's safe to toss that body out an airlock.

It would also make finding a changeling's stash a lot more horrifying, in that as soon as the locker opens up and the bodies spill out, everyone within range would begin vomiting uncontrollably.
ahaha oh god
Also, make it so odors are blocked by Medical Masks and full gasmasks. Emergency Gasmasks will prevent the worst of effects, but you'll still get nauseous and smell it pretty fierce.

Maybe we could also add in these: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... t-smokers/

One could be issued to the detective. it acts like a pinpointer, only it directs him towards the nearest source of bad odor. Categorize Weed, Farts, Superfarts, and decomposition all into the same thing, so a room full of farting assistants will throw off his search for dead bodies.
Also, another genetic power: Olfactory Growth. Gives the character model a huge nose, allows them to sniff out certain things, causes them to have seizures around dead bodies due to the overwhelming smell.