Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chem Suggestions and Suggested Changes
(04-16-2022, 10:37 PM)DioChasek Wrote: My worry is complicating this stuff too much may backfire if virology ever gets reintroduced. Imagine having to learn exceptions to poison rules, then add in all the variables from disease cocktails on top of that and you have a recipe for stressed out doctors.

Worrying about systems that could maybe potentially be introduced in the future, and that we have no idea what they might look like then, doesn't really make much sense to me.
Going gung-ho on a course of action without considering a possible complication is how projects fail. I’m not saying don’t make changes just to temper them with the knowledge that at some point medical could have a difficulty spike from another source.
Well the chances of patho coming back at any point in the foreseeable future are basically zero so.
I am just saying don’t go overboard with specific chems targeting specific poisons. A couple exceptions cool. A laundry list of this doesn’t work with this is a frustrating thing to learn and more importantly teach.
Right now we don't have any poisons that conflict with medical chems, one or two would be a neat addition for the occasional "Oh FUCK" moment and I say that as a medic main. Flushing your own anti-tox out with calomel because it's actively killing the patient would be a neat moment. Honestly it might be cool if some medical chems conflicted so you had to be sure never to put say mannitol and pentetic acid in someone at the same time or risk horrible side effects.
(04-18-2022, 07:58 PM)LeahTheTech Wrote: Right now we don't have any poisons that conflict with medical chems

ethanol
Also, Neurotoxin + Epinephrine = Unstable Mutagen
Mustard Gas and Phosgene are two different gasses. Mixed together, they were pretty potent and terrifying. Mustard Gas is called Yperite, and is more of a debilitatator than something that kills. Phosgene is a potent killer and is colourless, but takes a while (re atleast 10 hours) to actually kill people
(04-19-2022, 09:55 AM)Eagletanker Wrote: Mustard Gas and Phosgene are two different gasses. Mixed together, they were pretty potent and terrifying. Mustard Gas is called Yperite, and is more of a debilitatator than something that kills. Phosgene is a potent killer and is colourless, but takes a while (re atleast 10 hours) to actually kill people

True. I just threw that name up there as an alternative to 'Mustard Gas'

But we could also have a 'Phosgene' that is invisible kind of like how cyanide is on its initial creation, smoke it and you get a slow, stealthy, and invisible killer.
(04-19-2022, 07:58 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Also, Neurotoxin + Epinephrine = Unstable Mutagen

That's the kind of thing I mean, I forgot about that one since I'm used to capulettium lings

(04-19-2022, 05:02 AM)Cal Wrote:
(04-18-2022, 07:58 PM)LeahTheTech Wrote: Right now we don't have any poisons that conflict with medical chems

ethanol

Right, but the solution to that is just to keep pumping more charcoal in to neutralize it
Medusa also conflicts with medical chems, or at least it did the round it debuted in.  Don't think I've actually seen it since it got a recipe.

Plasma makes epinephrine deplete faster, IIRC.
It'd be also nice if we had a slight overhaul to how entry methods work for chemicals. Ingestion, Inhalation, Injection, and Absorption.

Ingestion would be slightly slower (A delay before chemicals actually take effect (They don't decay until it takes effect, of course.), and it also has a reaction with stomach acid (Hydrochloric acid))

Inhalation would be faster than ingestion, but would have certain effects with chemicals being inhaled, such as burning of the lungs. Some chemicals would need to be inhaled to actually have any effect, such as smelling salts.

Injection would be the fastest, due to immediate entry into the blood stream, acting almost immediately (Might even give a multiplier to the speed at which chemicals work inside the body when injected, to justify the terribly slow and kind of bad syringe effectiveness)

Absorption (Skin pen, basically. Mucosal membranes around the eyes, nose, mouth... other areas... and the skin, of course.) this would be slower than inhalation, but faster than ingestion.

Then the usual 'Touch' for I guess things like splashing acid on someone.
(04-14-2022, 10:59 AM)DioChasek Wrote: Ethylene glycol actually is the one thing that sticks out on the list as a fantastic chem to counter cryo pill nerds. With some tweaks it may be viable the others I don’t feel as strongly about not that they are bad necessarily just not the shining star that antifreeze is.

I agree, Antifreeze sounds the most functionally unique, and provides a counter to a pre-existing problem. Though I doubt the viability of its use; Were I attempting a murder, I would likely go for a catch-all deathchem like cyanide, sarin, or neurotoxin over the quite specific functions of antifreeze.

It would likely be underutilised were it introduced.
(04-29-2022, 09:52 AM)Washbasin Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 10:59 AM)DioChasek Wrote: Ethylene glycol actually is the one thing that sticks out on the list as a fantastic chem to counter cryo pill nerds. With some tweaks it may be viable the others I don’t feel as strongly about not that they are bad necessarily just not the shining star that antifreeze is.

I agree, Antifreeze sounds the most functionally unique, and provides a counter to a pre-existing problem. Though I doubt the viability of its use; Were I attempting a murder, I would likely go for a catch-all deathchem like cyanide, sarin, or neurotoxin over the quite specific functions of antifreeze.

You could use it to sabotage cryo healers, you could also use it alongside a medicine to deal with space or ice moon's cold without needing a suit.
(04-29-2022, 11:41 AM)TheMightyAltroll Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 09:52 AM)Washbasin Wrote:

You could use it to sabotage cryo healers, you could also use it alongside a medicine to deal with space or ice moon's cold without needing a suit.
That is true, you could sabotage cryo pods with antifreeze, but it still wouldn't be significantly more effective than other methods.

First of all the chem mix in cryo pods can be easily checked, if the mix is poisoned, people will know and replace the cryoxadone. Any poisons will be found out reasonably quickly.

Moreover, if you were going to poison the cryo healers, you would be working off the knowledge that your poisons would be quickly discovered. 

You would likely remove the cryoxadone reagent from the healer entirely beforehand, to improve the effectiveness of your deathchems.

Then if you remove the cryoxadone beforehand, there is no point in using a chem specifically designed to counter cryoxadone, it wouldn't make sense.

If you are just trying to slow down the healing of cryo pods, you can already disconnect the o2 canister that provides both pods with oxygen. Alternatively you can steal the canister entirely to sabotage the pods for a majority of the shift.

If you are trying to completely nullify the cryo pods over simply slowing them down, you just change the temperature settings of the air cooler.

Antifreeze would be very very niche and very challenging to use effectively.