Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
WHO ARE YOU? WHERE AM I? WHAT IS THIS? - An Informal Series Of Takes On Hallucinogens
Rainbow 
Drugs
space bear DRUGS!  space bear 

Everyone loves drugs, and the new hallucinatiochanges are very cool, but I've always noticed they seem to lack that oomph.

For a new player, your first trip is a wild ride! Dragons, AAAH! Chimps, AAAAH! Wierd Voices, AAAAAH!

LSD is very fun and wacky... until you learn that they cannot harm you, everything is an illusion, your drugs are lie. 

Now, there is no cure for this, your disappointing drug trips are terminal, but we can still spice things up!

:goose; ---------------------------------------------------- :jons;
               CONTEXT 

Attention grabbed, introduction over, here's the context:

Hallucinations should be confusing, they should mess with you (just a bit)

You should be able to work through hallucinations, but they should still make an impact.

So lets make them less lame? We're meant to be rockin' but that bartender looks like a normal bartender, that staff assistant looks like a lame staff assistant.

We should be saying this: "Oh god! Just took some LSD and now you're a turtle, and that bartender is a BEE saying mean things about my mother!" 

Not this: "I just took some LSD and now I need to ignore all the monkies and turn down my volume."

:boogiebot;----------------------------------------------------  queen greater domestic space-bee  
           WACKY PEOPLE

Drug trips shouldn't just spawn hallucinations, they should alter perception! That is my first point; people shouldn't stay the same! When I take my  dRuGs, I want the mime to become a goose, I want the captain to become a shambler I want the mean secoff taking me away to become a clown. This would all be purely visual of course.  

Generally, people's sprites would have a random chance to become something else from a list of possible entities, and preferably not basic stuff either. I'd appreciate spooky things like The Devil, Wraiths, and Eyespiders, regular critters like chickens, geese, and cats, and downright wierd things like sentient jani-mobiles.

a fancy greater domestic space-bee ---------------------------------------------------- 
             STOP HITTING ME!

Next thing; misinterpretation! What if people tripping balls just straight up misinterpreted actions and intent.  :8I;

Imagine this: You are a new :shroom; botanist who hotboxed hydroponics; You set some rainbow weed ablaze, and yourself in the process. Your fellow  botanist being the nice person he is takes you down to medical, and :bear; HOLY FUCK YOU ARE TRIPPING BALLS!    

Everything is pretty colors, and you're vibing in med lobby taking in the sights, when this damn turtle comes up and starts hitting you! FUCK THAT! You respond less than kindly and beat the shit out of the turtle, only to suddenly stop tripping and realise it was actually the clown giving you a nice pat on the head. You killed the funni clown, you monster.  :possum;

People hallucinating would view certain actions as other actions. A friendly pat on the head might appear to be a punch in the face. A doctor mending you might appear to be an owl strangling you. 

Perhaps this could be affected by your own intent. If you are on harm intent you might see everything as trying to harm you, if you are on help intent, the guy pushing you is hugging you instead. 

In theory, misinterpreted actions would remain consistent over the course of the drug trip. If help intent was viewed as disarm five minutes ago, and you are on the same trip, it will be viewed as disarm until you are done hallucinating.

Decidedly, misinterpretation should not occur overmuch. Maybe one of the four intents could appear wrong, or one type of mender/cpr style action would be altered per hallucination journey; Enough for the occasional misunderstanding, but not enough to be weaponizable and fully detrimental.

Maybe instead of all this, you just randomly switch to the wrong intent when drugged up

Jones the cat   ----------------------------------------------------  space owl  (:>
                IT GOT WORSE!

Third idea: Themed Trips! Bad trips and Good trips.

:bee; "Hello Mr. Drug Dealer, how much shroom juice was in that pill?"

:syndie-bee; "ALL OF IT!

:bee; *cries*

THIS COULD BE YOU! big grin;  

Right, so what if trips came in different flavours, maybe you take way too much LSD and instead of everyone becoming happy bees, they become mean wendigos. Different drugs could give you different types of trips. Maybe your health could influence whether you get a bad trip (wendigos) or a good one (bees)

Maybe you took cat drugs and now everyone is cats? (I don't know why this isn't already a thing)

If you got stung with LSD, maybe people randomly become buttcrabs, headcrabs and legworms. Excluding the ling ofc.

I like the idea of having themed hallucinations. If people are beating the shit out of you, that would give you bad vibes, and thus you would see bad things (wendigos)

space bear ----------------------------------------------------

I CAN SEE IT ALL!

"Spiritual Journeys" OooOoOOOh Spirits! 

Lets get so high we can commune with ghosts.  

Come, sit with me in this dark maint shaft and smoke weed until we go on an astral journey.

:shelterbee;I KNOW YOUR FUCKING SECRETS, I AM A GOD! BOW DOWN MORT- aw shit we ran out of pills.  

So, we have tarot cards, we have magical talking wizard vending machines, we have old men in bathrobes, we have ouija boards! Why not cool drug-based astral funk adventures?

Right, here's how things would work. To actually go on a mystic journey you'd need a bit of setup:

------------

Seances and Communing with the dead:
1) Get trippi
2) Sit down
3) Interact with a ouija board
4) Ghosts get a popup to join the seance
5) Ghost accepts seance request
6) You are now the mouthpiece of the ghost
7) You go deaf
8) Ghost gets an upgraded version of the whole ouija board interface to talk with. Reasonably good phrases and the like.
9) After one minute or five phrases used, you regain hearing, the ghost stops possessing you, and can no longer be seanced. 

-------------

The Dream World:
Vr Wannabe
1) Get tripping
2) Sleep in a bed   
3) Welcome to the dream world, you can leave any time
4) You will stay in the dream world, unless shaken, forced awake, or killed. 

Basically a cool little place to vibe. I'm thinking it could be a kind of dreamier ghost bar to just chill. It could also be an azone? Die in the dream die in real life? I know there's a whole interdimensional pocket dimension locker thing already added, so I wanted this to try and build off that. Dream world just speaks to me, and you could totally make it a group thing.

----------------
Astral Projection + Critter Possession:

1) Get tripping
2) Fall unconscious over a pentacle (crayon thing) (This is a maybe, I'm just trying to provide a more concrete idea)
3) You are now a floaty ghost spectator thing (astral form) You can stop being an astral spirit at any time.
4) You cannot hear any speech while a floaty ghost spectator
5) Flying into chapel or over salt removes you from astral form
6) You can "possess" a critter to listen and speak through. The critter will remain still. You cannot walk around with as it.
7) Speaking works in a similar manner to ouija boards or the halloween plush toy 
8) You will stay in astral form unless shaken, forced awake, killed, or your possessed critter is harmed.

B-33 ----------------------------------------------------   Sleeping bee 
               TOO LONG! AAH!

Summary:
- Goal is more depth to hallucinogens.

- Make people look like monsters and stuff when hallucinating.

- When hallucinating, interpret some actions as other actions. Mime hugging you appears as mime punching you. Kill the mime.

- Different themes for drug trips. See people as cats when on cat drugs, buttcrabs when stung by ling. Bees on LSBee?

- Get good and bad trips, tying into drug tripthemes. Possibly affected by health, damage taken, and quantity of substances taken.

- Get high with accessories, hold a seance

- Get high with accessories, go to dream world

- Get high with accessories, ascend as a spooky spirit, possess a rat, scare the crew.

- Significant overuse of color

No ban pls.

After attempting to post this I was notified that only 10 funny images are allowed per post, as such, I have removed 38 of them. Please imagine the funnies instead.

edit: I just looked back on this, it is near illegible. This will either go in good ideas or terrible ideas, there is no in-between. Good luck
I personally liked the idea of people becoming part of the hallucinations and the dream world, but i didnt like the other ones. The intents one seems like it could lead to people making up excuses to kill others, and would interfere with you way too much. Themes seem like hell to code and seances, astral projections + critter possesions seem to abusable and broken.
Nice formatting and everything, but as nut points out.
People already use hallugens to attack other players on "accident" this will only increase it by saying: "YOU LOOK LIKE AN ABOMINATION!"

And alot of others may cause grieving?

But my biggest concern isn't the coding or use or excuses.. it's the following 4 things:
- The normal rainbow effect does affect my stomach if I am not well. Nothing I can do about it... what will your INSANO REALM DO TO MY STOMACH!?
- Will it cause lag? Cause the more effects and things the server has to generate and send to you.. the laggier the game can get... imagine a hotboxing of your hallugens and now 15 people are all expirencing this thing... they might lag or worst the server might give out. And before you say: "It won't! That's impossible"
I am the captain of RP that made the crew mass produce pizza to the point it lagged out the server completely... and that was just generating PIZZA!
- Isn't communicating with the dead the CHAPLAIN'S job? Heck we even got Zoldorf for that if a player sign the contract.
The reason we keep it vague is so A: "No death grieving and giving away" and B: "Dead is considered OOC in RP servers" If anyone with the right chemical can do it... it would start ruining murder mysteries, putting the detective out of a job too. Someone dies? OOH JUST HAVE YOURSELF BE POSSESSED WITH DRUGS AND HAVE THEM SAY WHO KILLED THEM! PROBLEM SOLVED! The Ouija board has been upgraded so you can easily find a word/name/setences to say... so no.
- The dream realm is too vague of a statement. We got plenty of zones to explore and the only one we can't visit is the afterlife bar if we are alive.
Also if we do this can we communicate with the dead? I hope not.. cause again.. that will be grieving exploit and make investigations pointless.
I actually don't mind this idea... but... I recommend it's just the dream bee beach for funsies. No need for more maps to make the delicate nature of maps work.
Drugs affecting others should definitely be a thing, however as the others have pointed out, intent switching doesn't really work well.

Not fussed for themed trips, but I do think that the current drug affects are too hostile, it would be nice to have more wacky things, rather than being relentlessly attacked by fake pigs.

I really like the dream world idea. It would be awesome to share dreams with other drugged up players, sounds like it could lead to some really cool gimmicks. I think that the séance ideas is good, and not a problem as long as it is restricted to the Ouija board interface.

The astral projection idea has the risk of just being wall hacks, perhaps your astral body is in total darkness (limiting vision to only tiles adjacent) and can't venture more than 5 to 10 tiles from your body. The idea is pretty cool though.