Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Buff flash/cell assembly
i haven't seen much use of the flash/cell assembly barring the occasion where a surplus crate spawns a box of them in. i can't even remember the last time i have seen myself or anyone else make one. while i don't think it needs to be buffed to any major degree (it's actually not that bad from testing, 2 of them will blind and 30s stun someone without flash protection) i do think it could get some extra functionality.

my foremost idea would be letting it flash through flash protection; rushing it is super common because 1. it's easy (welderhats, various sunglasses spawns, sechuds in lockers, polarized cybereye) and 2. it's extremely beneficial: antags like revs or vampires get completely shut down by flash prot, and other antags that might want to use flashes to stun might as well not bother. it's possible that this might be a bit too powerful, but it's certainly possible to balance through having 100% protection lower the stamina drain by a large amount. without eye protection flash/cell assemblies take 2 hits to actually stun, dealing 140 stamina maximum (to my knowledge), so nerfing it down to needing 3 or 4 hits if they have full protection could work to balance it out.

the main thing though is revs: being able to flash through flashprot would help revs get off the ground quite a bit, and again, since flash/cells are single use, you'd be spending quite a bit of effort to convert 1 person. my personal opinion is that crew being able to print a welding mask at any general fabricator to become untouchable by revheads is kind of lame, and giving revheads a way to counter it would be nice.

with all of that said I don't think this is necessarily the ONLY way to buff them, though i do think it is the best way. if anyone has suggestions i am open to them
Flash assemblies are fine as is, they are essentially one use stun batons which is already quite good for something that all crew members can get. Flashing through flash-prot would be absurdly unbalanced, you could take out the hos/security/traitors/nukeops/etc with minimal difficulty leading to these targets being rushed and unable to defend themselves. Even if it took 3-4 hits being able to take out these targets would be far too easy.
I think it should melt glasses or masks like a makeshift ling acid spit personally but I do agree they are fine as is. I'd just think it would be more interesting if they did more.
in retrospect im realizing that i cannot properly get my points across in this format, at least not in any reasonable time, so i will refrain from adding much else. i will put some of the more basic thoughts that i have though

- having to hit them 4 times is pretty hard. officers get batons which are twice as efficient and dont disappear on use + tasers which give them a massive range advantage. also they can just radio + pda alert and have all of sec on you in seconds

- if this did get added flashcell size should probably be increased to prevent people carrying a ton on them

- most of the strength of the flash is probably the disorient and not the stun since the disorient makes it far easier to land successive hits so you could probably just remove that if they have flashprot. this would make it incredibly difficult to stun anyone through flashprot

- antags have a million tools at their disposal to not get owned by something like this. the type of person who would go out of their way to hold 4 flashcells just to maybe stun an antag probably wont even bother since there are far better tools to powergame klilling antags with. ops are surrounded by teammates most of the time and have weapons that crit in seconds. vamps have literal stun cancellation lol, lings have neurosting and morph arm which both trump flashcells pretty hard, and at the end of the day antags are crew as well and can make the assemblies as easy as any normal crew can, aside from access

- the one point i will truly concede is that stamina is pretty fluid and being able to stun in 4 hits isnt definitive- most likely you'd be stunning in less since they are spending stamina sprinting and maybe attacking you. on this i think having it be 5 hits instead would probably be a better balance. also i guess it's a stronger stun than most stamina stuns (15 or 30 seconds typically)
actually i just realized that if you remove disorient and make it take 5 hits (which would imply that it takes away 40 stamina per hit) then flashcells are literally worse than just oxytanking someone in terms of stamina drain, with the only benefits being a longer stun and no stamina drain on the user. not that its inherently a bad thing though maybe thats what it needs to be balanced

anyways thats most of what i have for my idea but the true point of the post still stands, that being that it'd be nice if they did more than what they currently did. maybe they could have something special when you use the AoE, like igniting anyone nearby? you could probably also up the scaling on them maybe so that having higher tier power cells actually does something (to my knowledge the strength caps at like 5000 power lol)
(04-08-2022, 09:03 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I think it should melt glasses or masks like a makeshift ling acid spit personally but I do agree they are fine as is. I'd just think it would be more interesting if they did more.

Tbh a non-acid way of melting glasses would be very very amazing.
I'd say make them disorientate through glasses, along with the Vampires Glare ability. 5s or so of disorient, maybe some stamina damage just to punish low stam in fights.
(04-09-2022, 02:02 AM)RGBDeadSilent Wrote: I'd say make them disorientate through glasses, along with the Vampires Glare ability. 5s or so of disorient, maybe some stamina damage just to punish low stam in fights.

This, not even the best sunglasses will let you look at extremely bright lightsources
(04-08-2022, 06:56 PM)Yellow Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 09:03 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I think it should melt glasses or masks like a makeshift ling acid spit personally but I do agree they are fine as is. I'd just think it would be more interesting if they did more.

Should just have something like attacks aimed at the head have a chance of knocking loose glasses and head gear off
(04-09-2022, 11:25 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 06:56 PM)Yellow Wrote:

Should just have something like attacks aimed at the head have a chance of knocking loose glasses and head gear off
And to secure you need to apply cables, use a wrench, or glue! HONK!
Or a stapler