Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Give Traitor QM's a Mindslave Cloner
Traitor QM's don't have enough toys to play with, and I think giving them a mindslave cloner could allow some more fun Cargonia shenanigans. I know it doesn't fit the job theme perfectly, but it could result in some fun gimmicks since nobody is going to code more QM syndicate toys.
Qm traitor is already one of the strongest types behind science and detectives imo. The fact that they can outfit themselves with sec gear without alerting security (if of course they have an emag) gives them a huge leg up.
(04-07-2022, 11:08 AM)DioChasek Wrote: Qm traitor is already one of the strongest types behind science and detectives imo. The fact that they can outfit themselves with sec gear without alerting security (if of course they have an emag) gives them a huge leg up.

This. If you want a mindslave cloner... get one from a surplus crate. Otherwise just roll with it!
(04-07-2022, 11:08 AM)DioChasek Wrote: Qm traitor is already one of the strongest types behind science and detectives imo. The fact that they can outfit themselves with sec gear without alerting security (if of course they have an emag) gives them a huge leg up.

A discussion in the discord server shows that some people dislike rolling QM traitor because of the lack of items. You’re making it sound like adding this would be a huge buff, but mindslave cloners are incredibly obvious, and are difficult to maintain, so I wouldn’t call it a buff, but rather, a wider selection of play styles to choose from for a job that is already narrow with traitor gimmicks that are QM specific.
You can do this as literally any job, though. It's easy to blow open the crates, you don't even need the emag. Traitor QM has such a lackluster traitor gear list, and they actually have to do their job for a while if they want to access the items QM has to offer, which aren't even that good outside of the sec crate. Not to mention mindslave cloners are hard to hide and QM has the smallest department known to mankind.
okay like, nuclear take here, but what if we made it so that if you got a surplus crate as a qm traitor it was guaranteed to have at least one more surplus in it
Sec crate is just the tip of the iceberg honestly. Other options include ordering a ridiculous amount of steel, a chem dispenser and mailing people pipe bombs of various flavors. Or upgrading to can bombs. Then we can get into 4d chess sabotage of ingredient crates with various poisons from chem dispensers. Wanna make the station even more hellish. Completely wreck the shipping budget after a bad bombing or other rampage with non related purchases.

If you are sad about the lack of unique traitor remember you have access to a lot of tools most other roles only dream of having easy access to.

As an aside giving qm the cloner makes no sense from an rp standpoint. Last I checked that’s a medical toy.
(04-07-2022, 12:09 PM)DioChasek Wrote: Sec crate is just the tip of the iceberg honestly. Other options include ordering a ridiculous amount of steel, a chem dispenser and mailing people pipe bombs of various flavors. Or upgrading to can bombs. Then we can get into 4d chess sabotage of ingredient crates with various poisons from chem dispensers. Wanna make the station even more hellish. Completely wreck the shipping budget after a bad bombing or other rampage with non related purchases.

If you are sad about the lack of unique traitor remember you have access to a lot of tools most other roles only dream of having easy access to.

As an aside giving qm the cloner makes no sense from an rp standpoint. Last I checked that’s a medical toy.

First off, most of the things you listed are not cargo specific, anybody can make pipebombs, anybody can loot steel from around the station, anybody could mail stuff to other departments, and how do you expect quartermasters to make canbombs? The only thing that is job specific that you mentioned was draining the budget, which kinda defeats your whole job? Why would any QM do that outside of a rev round?

Mindslave cloners are already rare enough, and when they do rarely occur, they are great fun for a lot of people.

From an RP standpoint it makes sense (sorta) because of cargonia memes, join cargonia, join the empire.

It’s a really easy change, and one I think most quartermasters will enjoy.
Cargo cant order chem dispensers nor can they order poisons? none of those tihngs are particularly strong as well. Though I dont think the mindslave cloner really fits thematically, nor do I want to see cargonia gimmicks except now multiple of the people doing it are antags considering how much of a mess those gimmicks already are. While Im all for giving qms more traitor items, Id rather they fit the role and be unique items.
(04-07-2022, 12:44 PM)Ikea Wrote: Cargo cant order chem dispensers nor can they order poisons? none of those tihngs are particularly strong as well. Though I dont think the mindslave cloner really fits thematically, nor do I want to see cargonia gimmicks except now multiple of the people doing it are antags considering how much of a mess those gimmicks already are. While Im all for giving qms more traitor items, Id rather they fit the role and be unique items.

Not directly order the dispensers but you can order a mechanics resupply for a ruck kit. Deploy go scan. Build profit. And if you don’t think chems are powerful boy I dunno what to say.

The rest I agree with wholeheartedly. I love the Cargonia meme but overall it leads to severe self antag problems in a lot of cases, and while a cloner doesn’t fit. A welcome to cargonia pamphlet the can be disguised as a piece of paper that acts as mindslave implant until removed from your pocket by another player sounds fun.

The biggest problem people have is that your syndicate gimmick is more or less inverted from many other departments. The clown builds around the clown car, botany their maneaters, robotics their syndicate frames. In cargo you order your syndicate gear on top of whatever else you order from the cargo budget. The biggest power they have is cold hard cash and oftentimes way too much of it.
as a compromise, you could make the mindslave module a VERY expensive purchase from an emagged cargo console, if you want to follow the theme
That would make the mindslave cloner a useless purchase because you can just buy an emag and get both an emag and a mindslave cloner, instead of spending your points on the cloner.
Another important couple points about the traitor qm. You are at your best as a force multiplier for other antags. But DIO how do I know who is a traitor? I dunno look for the obvious ones, the clown with the car or boom boots, the botanist with the red chainsaw, or best case scenario the roboticist has built a syndicate frame robot. All of a sudden the antags are now in a position to outfit everyone with gear to achieve their ends.

Speaking of other things a traitor qm is great for, you know how if you are playing the game as a normal crewmember and making mad stacks and the syndicate broadcast goes off and all of a sudden you are a sleeper agent? Welcome to playtime. With a few button presses you now are outfitted for mayhem where every other sleeper is either ignoring it because why bother, or scrambling for a way to get ready for a riot.

Another thing that qm can excel at is spy/thief. The number of things they can order to their department to claim with no effort is pretty vast, multitools, sec batons, clownsuits, insulated gloves, mops, belts, the list is staggering for the small stuff.
Ovens, gibbers, alcohol/soda dispensers, genetek, cloners and agian the list continues for things you can order directly to your department without raising any suspicion like "why is the cloner gone? Who did it?". With a good bit of knowledge on high value miscellaneous bounties you can preorder a bunch and have them sitting around in wait to claim the second the list refreshes.