Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Watermain- new device in disposals to regulate water in station
Rainbow 
What if there was a watermain in disposals that was like two by two tiles large that has a valve on it that you can use a wrench on to access the water storage system the station uses.

Once open and you interact with it you can access and manipulate the water storage in certain ways with a similar tool system that the ai law rack uses now. 

Two key uses could be-

Drain water from station to disable sinks and toilets and showers  bit can be fixed easily with the water main tool menu

Mixing or entirely replacing the water content with various chemicals but don't allow it to self generate like the water does. Ie you need to put like 20 beakers of plasma in to have that come out of sinks and showers but it will empty quickly if left running
Thoughts?
I think having chemicals that magically teleport across the station is just odd, and is too niche (would only be useful as antag on roleplay (due to classic not really using showers and sinks), and poisoning the entire station requires a lot of roleplay to go alongside of it). A large system spanning piping system would make more sense, however that is a whole another can of worms, and adds a large mapping requirement for something thats usage is pretty niche. Personally I think the best of both worlds would be to do it tg style and have a nearby container of chems near the shower generally in maint that the shower draws from through the usage of reagent pipes.
lol i actually expressed a similar idea alongside actual water treatment plants and occupation, somewhere at least
its more of a players dream to me due to what ikea stated above, it would be a pain to map, sprite, and probably even server intensive too (assuming it becomes very indepth)
Okay Tbh I think it could do entirely without a system of pipes and what not. It could just be a water boiler/single pipe that you can interact with to do things with the stations water supply just effecting the water related obj’s in station areas on Z1 (sinks/showers having different Chems, drains oozing out chems, water heat, etc)

This saves the hell of mapping out water pipes for something that’ll mostly be used for gimmicks and/or crime. Some maps can get really tight with pipes under the floor with both mail & trash & other miscellaneous pipes.

Okay Tbh I think it could do entirely without a system of pipes and what not. It could just be a water boiler/single pipe that you can interact with to do things with the stations water supply just effecting the water related obj’s in station areas on Z1 (sinks/showers having different Chems, drains oozing out chems, water heat, etc)

This saves the hell of mapping out water pipes for something that’ll mostly be used for gimmicks and/or crime. Some maps can get really tight with pipes under the floor with both mail & trash & other miscellaneous pipes.
As Yellow said, the water system is already some janky fun and this would likely just add a bit of flavour without a huge amount of mapping work.

One of the main uses on nonRP is using the system as a way to stockpile chems to access across the station easily so you don't need to carry a bunch of beakers in storage slots.

The downsides of it include that you need to take the time to access the main and dump the chems in and that anyone else accessing the main can undo your work easily.

In the interim period you can be lubing the hallways easily with one beaker filling up at sinks, or putting phlox in the showers.

The downside being that
we've been wanting to add fluid pipes for a while, those would be required before this.