Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can we remove RNG from chicken fornication? [Rancher]
Sad 
Recently decided to pick up Rancher as I thought the chicken stuff is cool (and it is), but was unpleasantly hit with the realisation that it's based almost entirely off of RNG. What I want to know is why RNG of this magnitude (You, or at least I, will struggle to get any chickens beyond maybe a brown chicken in an ENTIRE round) should be used when it comes to making chickens that go honk. The worst part of this is, there are secret chickens as well (Chicken stuff is one of the only stuff hidden from the main Github) which will be tedious to find on their own, but because of RNG, it will make it 100x harder to find them, because there's a chance that even if you somehow find out how to get the items to make the super cool, super powerful Spacetime/Timespace chicken (Which give you the super amazing power of being basically unkillable unless your foe is using something stronger than a fire extinguisher, and also teleporting back to where you were 10 seconds ago, or teleport and run around fast for 10 seconds), there's a chance that it won't even hatch. I believe if RNG was greatly reduced, or just overall removed from the equation, rancher would be a far more popular job.

This was probably a shit take, but goddamn it, if I can't get a fucking clown chicken in 10 full shifts, the job ain't right man.
Anyways, have a nice day
queen greater domestic space-bee queen greater domestic space-bee queen greater domestic space-bee
Once you've spent some time messing with the ranching mechanics, you will realize that there is a lot less RNG than you think.

The only critical point of RNG in any chicken path are the few specific paths that require a rooster rather than a hen, and these instances are able to be mitigated by planning ahead.

A lot of time when people talk about "RNG" in chickens, I go over to their pen to see that they have 30+ chickens that they're trying to feed instead of micromanaging a few specific ones. You have a lot more control over chickens when you limit yourself to the minimum number necessary, and I know this because i've extensively tested it by playing the job myself for many hours.

You can get a golden chicken (the slowest chicken to get, requiring an absurdly happy brown rooster) in 40m on average if you leverage all the tools available to you.

Ask for help from more experienced ranchers both in game and on the discord. Experiment with how different food additives affect the hunger and happiness progression of your chickens. Take notes, share with other players, and update the wiki with your findings. This is not a department that I designed for people to be able to completely minmax on their own without a guide.
Was about to say you have basically two approaches to ranching quality or quantity. If you go way too hard into population growth you will not get very far in chicken evolution. Or you just try the quantity route and flood the kitchen and qm  with chicken meat and eggs
Getting a rooster when I need a hen or a hen when I need a rooster is really my main gripe with the system. The part that annoys me the most is having to wait for them to grow up before I even know if it is the kind of chicken I need.
isn't that basically how it works in real life
Realism doesn't really matter that much in this game
Three things are needed here to deal with chicken rng that is NOT TURNING IT OFF and making the rancher's job more fun and involving then just: "Growing food for what they need"

And I say look at Botany... They can analyze seeds in a pc and even a device.

Why not give an egg/chicken/chick analyzer to them? So they can see their RNG and slightly push it into another direction.

Next up... a way to "genetically" alter chickens, like you can alter Seeds as a botanist.
Growing food, waiting, forcing chickens to eat it while their moving and getting enough.. it all takes SO MUCH TIME AWAY.
So why not speed it up with a methode we can do to most things? GENETICS.
However... by doing so it will grant alot of downsides. Like shorter life spans, infertility, Picky eaters, Aggresiving pecking order (killing other chickens), eating own young, no effects from meat or egg.
So while it will be faster to get your ultimate chickens... they might not even live to lay an egg.
Also changes for a new chicken the ABOMICHICKEN! to come out.. and that thing is basicly a changeling chicken that will eat chickens and tries to kill everyone.
Can't play god here.

Number 3 and the last one.
Chicken Tazer. A way to stun chickens safely or able to pick em up safely without them running around and being hard to capture.
I think the rancher could use this to control the movement of chickens but also easier to catch unwanted chickens and sending em to the slaughter.

These are all ways to make ranchers more involved with their job and stop them from constantly tripping over chickens, without dealing with the RNG and Time.

If botany can constantly change the seeds and mix and match em easier... why should the rancher suffer that too? They have to work Botany too to get the feed they need.. and just like botany.. they make too much produce too!