Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Clumsiness chemical dispenser interaction
if someone with clown clumsiness tries to use a chemical dispenser it should ignore their imputs and only dispense potassium+water

this is a good idea someone code this immediately
Fantastic idea on this day of days! HONK!
Having a chance to provide the wrong chemical seems more sensible, if anything. Yes, I am completely ignoring the date.
The intention is that unoriginal clowns that want to fill an extinguisher with lube will first have to convince 1 non-clown that it would be funny
stoned/sarcasm post

(04-02-2022, 07:23 PM)Lady Birb Wrote: The intention is that unoriginal clowns that want to fill an extinguisher with lube will first have to convince 1 non-clown that it would be funny

i believe it is up to the non-clowns to convince the clown that it is not funny (by vigorously beating/spacing them)
Quote:this is a good idea someone code this immediately

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/8098
Gonna file this in the if we go down this road you are going to regret it even more than if you just let the clown lube the halls list of ideas. Imagine if you will a humble clown finds your near dead body, medbay is in shambles, but wait chemistry remains he burgles his way in in an attempt to save your life then mixes up a hell mix accidentally without a stabilizer gibbing both you and the clown instead of him making epinephrine to save your life. And that’s before we get into people using it as an excuse to grief chemistry because they can use the I am clumsy defense.
this doesn't affect reagent groups, so a Clever Cookie could completely ignore dealing with this, right?
In the stated pr that appears to be true. Aside from that a truly dedicated clown could use the chemcompiler and make the station wish that the change never occurred. Never underestimate people who feel slighted by a rash change or decision.
Please no I think this was a joke. 3 minutes in the round lube clowns should be ahelped, problem solved
(04-03-2022, 01:52 PM)alexandregtg Wrote: Please no I think this was a joke. 3 minutes in the round lube clowns should be ahelped, problem solved

Gasp the simple solution is the most logical one!
All of that aside, this is Space Station 13 a game where you can be stabbed to death wrangling monkeys, we have drinks that make gun noises when mixed, bombs that blow up into guts, and where we draw the line is clowns can’t lube the the floors because that’s dumb. I really don’t know what to say other than take a step back and remember that a majority of the game is just silly. Have fun even if you get slipped by a lube clown it’s just a game.
(04-03-2022, 01:57 PM)DioChasek Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 01:52 PM)alexandregtg Wrote: Please no I think this was a joke. 3 minutes in the round lube clowns should be ahelped, problem solved

Gasp the simple solution is the most logical one!
All of that aside, this is Space Station 13 a game where you can be stabbed to death wrangling monkeys, we have drinks that make gun noises when mixed, bombs that blow up into guts, and where we draw the line is clowns can’t lube the the floors because that’s dumb. I really don’t know what to say other than take a step back and remember that a majority of the game is just silly. Have fun even if you get slipped by a lube clown it’s just a game.

Well I play clown a lot and I don't lube the floor often, especially as non antag. Its just unoriginal and not very funny. Its not the worst thing if someone do it once, but if they continuously lube everything all round its kind of a pain. Its annoying because it piss off everyone, and then clowns get a bad reputation because of it. There's so many cool chems to play with (glitter, colorful reagent, cheese bomb) and even here, they want to nerf the clown's ability to interact with chems because of lube. 

Ahelps are not only for bannable things, and if someone keep making the round worst by lubing everything they deserve to be talked to.

Its not even always the clown that lube everything anyway. The amount of time I was blamed for it when it was a scientist or a janitor is a witness to that.
As someone who also plays way too much clown the number of times I have actually lubed the floor is probably countable on a single hand. I would suspect that it is probably true for a lot of players who play the role more than once. Anecdotally I have seen more janitors and staffies lubing the floors for what it is worth, what do we do about them?

And on your fun chem point yes it would be even more of a chore to do chemistry for the fun things just to spruce up the station. Example colorful reagent in the floor scrubber good luck because you blew up the dispensor on your second click that will show you not to make space lube. Oh wait whats that you were doing something harmless and fun? Well serves you right for being a clown instead of a chem nerd who is going to make a hell mix to blow up half the station intentionally.
this wouldn’t affect reagent groups, which would actually be a funny way to push clowns to use them for even quicker lube :s
Really against this change for a number of reasons. First and foremost, this is something that is extremely difficult to communicate to a role that is generally filled with new players. A feature of this game is that anyone can do anything with the right tools, and while there can be minor exceptions to that, this is a big step towards making the job one selects massively impact their gameplay. Clowns trying to mix whatever they are mixing and putting something harmless and inert in their is funny, it takes a second to fix, and whatever. A minor explosion (such as potassium and water) would also be funny. But people do work on chemmixes as clowns and fucking up someone's mix and forcing them to start over really isn't funny. This also opens up the possibility of blowing chemistry to shit over something that really shouldn't be a concern.

Should the clown be ahelped for taking that risk? Generally in this game, it's accepted that if you do something dumb and it causes problems, it's on your neck. But this is probability, and the probability of something going wrong and causing massive damage is low, so should this be a barrier to clowns messing with complex mixes at all? Not in my opinion.

Overall this is something that while it might be funny some of the time, isn't going to actually stop any lubing (literally with a chem as small as that it just has a 20% chance of one extra step in the process) and has the potential to cause a lot of problems for chemically inclined clowns.