Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Remote control monkeys
I'm not too familiar with how SS13 coding goes so I'm not too sure if it's possible and there's probably balance issues that need to be ironed out, but here's my idea:

I'm thinking a hat or perhaps brain augment for a monkey and either a console, remote or a VR-type headgear so that can control a monkey remotely. This would be fun for geneticists being able to utilize their super monkeys instead of disposing of them. I think this device should also have a speaker to transmit the remote user's voice. I think that as long as the monkey is primed to be remote controlled it will not act on it's own, effectively being braindead. This would mitigate the problem of putting a monkey somewhere and then having it become an NPC monkey again running amok, while also allowing the monkey to be taken out without it defending itself. EMPs would also be effective as it'd disable the ability to remote control the monkey, leaving it defenseless. This would also leave the operator unaware of their own surroundings, allowing for a surprise attack, thievery, anything dastardly. I think that if you're attacked though that you'd immediately return control back to yourself so you can defend yourself. This could also open up some plays for antags to use these monkeys for harm which could then pin the blame on genetics, or for antag genetics to act innocent and shift blame to someone else. A remote controlled monkey could even serve as a tool for the AI or borgs to utilize, bridging robotics and genetics. They could also be used by engies for dangerous tasks. Even security could use these monkeys for remote enforcement. Hell, miners could use them to mine. It seems too powerful to have as a starting item and I'm not too which department would even want to help make something like this for a geneticist. Maybe a research and then the ability to apply this to a monkey using the Genetek console with the monkey in the scanner.

This idea comes with the obvious issues that this can be abused for griefing, being imbalanced and a pain to even code such a weird feature.
(04-01-2022, 05:09 AM)Jawack Wrote: I'm not too familiar with how SS13 coding goes so I'm not too sure if it's possible and there's probably balance issues that need to be ironed out, but here's my idea:

I'm thinking a hat or perhaps brain augment for a monkey and either a console, remote or a VR-type headgear so that can control a monkey remotely. This would be fun for geneticists being able to utilize their super monkeys instead of disposing of them. I think this device should also have a speaker to transmit the remote user's voice. I think that as long as the monkey is primed to be remote controlled it will not act on it's own, effectively being braindead. This would mitigate the problem of putting a monkey somewhere and then having it become an NPC monkey again running amok, while also allowing the monkey to be taken out without it defending itself. EMPs would also be effective as it'd disable the ability to remote control the monkey, leaving it defenseless. This would also leave the operator unaware of their own surroundings, allowing for a surprise attack, thievery, anything dastardly. I think that if you're attacked though that you'd immediately return control back to yourself so you can defend yourself. This could also open up some plays for antags to use these monkeys for harm which could then pin the blame on genetics, or for antag genetics to act innocent and shift blame to someone else. A remote controlled monkey could even serve as a tool for the AI or borgs to utilize, bridging robotics and genetics. They could also be used by engies for dangerous tasks. Even security could use these monkeys for remote enforcement. Hell, miners could use them to mine. It seems too powerful to have as a starting item and I'm not too which department would even want to help make something like this for a geneticist. Maybe a research and then the ability to apply this to a monkey using the Genetek console with the monkey in the scanner.

This idea comes with the obvious issues that this can be abused for griefing, being imbalanced and a pain to even code such a weird feature.

By all that is holy, yes. Remotely controlled monkies are the future.

But why stop there? Remote controlled roaches! Remote Controlled Mice! Remote controlled George The Immortal Dog.

This idea gives me the same vibes as using spy stickers with the det, and I love it.
I feel like some AI shell code could 100% be reused but I think this'd have to have some more though put into balancing it before I spend the next week struggling to make it work it gets added by a competent coder who isn't me
We had this suggestion thread years ago about Ape Escape style monkey controlling. I even sprited some helmets for it
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=11918
Let us put AI interface boards into monkeys and then SR them.
Hmm... a new type of brain that is linked to a controller? Kill someone, stick new brain in them, revive like Frankenstein? A shell brain, purely for remote operation. Probably traitor item with unique brain sprite.

Imagine cutting a guys brain out just to discover the body was being remotely controlled, I think it would be funny. Classic sci-fi stuff. Counterplay/sec play would be scanning body/brain for prints and catching someone with remote-control gear.

The guy controlling the brain/body/monster would have to wear a special outer suit or helmet maybe.

So many steps though, might only be viable as MD traitor item. Unless the brain revives the corpse on insertion, leaving it with a gaping incision on its head - also funny (which they could sew up of course).

Something like this.
Alternatively it could be a funny looking shock pack traitor item.