Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trainee IDs
I suggested this over on Something Awful, so I'm crossposting here.

Give every department head a box of pre-made IDs, named "X-department Trainee" or "Chemistry Scrub" or something like that, which only have access to the doors and equipment in their specific department. If all their workers fuck off, or if they decide to bring in some staff assistants for help, or if they just want more warm bodies in the place, they can hand out trainee certification. This gives the department heads more control over their departments, while also allowing for more ways to gain access other than subverting the HoP or breaking into customs, and making it easier for someone that needs to do something in a place to be able to do so.

Also, as an ancillary suggestion, I later posted that we should also divide up budgets into departments. Instead of drawing their budgets straight from the station's big pool of money, every department has a budget, and it's crew draw their pay from that budget. Activating a trainee ID by swiping it through the head's PDA also activates it's linked account. So if the RD deputizes a shitload of assistants to help him make bathtub meth, they'll suck all the money out of his budget and leave him a poor bastard.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:I suggested this over on Something Awful, so I'm crossposting here.

Give every department head a box of pre-made IDs, named "X-department Trainee" or "Chemistry Scrub" or something like that, which only have access to the doors and equipment in their specific department. If all their workers fuck off, or if they decide to bring in some staff assistants for help, or if they just want more warm bodies in the place, they can hand out trainee certification. This gives the department heads more control over their departments, while also allowing for more ways to gain access other than subverting the HoP or breaking into customs, and making it easier for someone that needs to do something in a place to be able to do so.

Also, as an ancillary suggestion, I later posted that we should also divide up budgets into departments. Instead of drawing their budgets straight from the station's big pool of money, every department has a budget, and it's crew draw their pay from that budget. Activating a trainee ID by swiping it through the head's PDA also activates it's linked account. So if the RD deputizes a shitload of assistants to help him make bathtub meth, they'll suck all the money out of his budget and leave him a poor bastard.
I like the ID idea, but with the department budget part of it, what's the point?
I like the ID part, that'd be easy enough to set up.
Lainge Wrote:I like the ID idea, but with the department budget part of it, what's the point?

Someone on SA said that they didn't like how much this idea would take away from the HoP's office, and I was trying to think up a way to balance it so the HoP would still be an important element of personnel changes, and these would be more temporary tradeoffs for heads?
Maybe instead of actual I'D cards they could be lanyards? Little scannable cards on string around your neck that give access but don't do anything that other normal IDs do. Means the HoP still has to upgrade you for money reasons.
Weavel Wrote:Maybe instead of actual I'D cards they could be lanyards? Little scannable cards on string around your neck that give access but don't do anything that other normal IDs do. Means the HoP still has to upgrade you for money reasons.

Problem with that is that no one uses their money all that often. Only times I see someone access their account is to go gamble in the bar, which at that point theyve probably already said "fuck it" to their job anyway
That's a good idea, though, lanyards. Only grant access to specific things, take up a slot other than ID, so you can still wear your ID and a lanyard at the same time. What slow would they use, though? Mask? Exo?
Hmmm, well maybe it doesn't auto-open doors when you walk up? No chem dispenser usage, no ballance, no doors without a click, no ID mods, won't leave the HoP visits with no advantages
Maybe they could use exo?
Yeah I'd say exo. There needs to be a disadvantage to have them, so that to still need to have your ID changed by the HoP, and not being able to wear a gas mask is a pretty major disadvantage. And in terms of the opening doors thing, maybe you HAVE to hold it in an active hand and click the door to open it?
The HOP is in charge of such things and needs more to do. So give him a few IDs for Each department with limited access to that department specific. Really its his job to look over Ids and Jobs. Money is also his job, Im surprised Centcom doesn't demand a profit for every round. If you catch my drift.
each department head would have access to only their department's money, except the HoP who can freely fling about the budget to satisfy his every dark and sinister whim
Tteckk Wrote:The HOP is in charge of such things and needs more to do. So give him a few IDs for Each department with limited access to that department specific. Really its his job to look over Ids and Jobs. Money is also his job, Im surprised Centcom doesn't demand a profit for every round. If you catch my drift.

problem is that a lot of HoPs fuck off to space or be security about 10 to 15 minutes in.
hatmadder Wrote:
Tteckk Wrote:The HOP is in charge of such things and needs more to do. So give him a few IDs for Each department with limited access to that department specific. Really its his job to look over Ids and Jobs. Money is also his job, Im surprised Centcom doesn't demand a profit for every round. If you catch my drift.

problem is that a lot of HoPs fuck off to space or be security about 10 to 15 minutes in.
Because they have nothing to do but change IDs and steal Station cash. Both are boring and the job needs something fun to do or more to get done.
Tteckk Wrote:
hatmadder Wrote:

Because they have nothing to do but change IDs and steal Station cash. Both are boring and the job needs something fun to do or more to get done.

gimmicks.HoP can pull of some fun gimmicks if they are creative enough.
As it stands, an HoP can quickly and easily give anyone any access they desire. Why in the name of fuck do you think that giving them purposefully-substandard ways of giving people more access would make them more likely not to fuck off to space?

Especially considering that one of the HoP objectives is literally "Fuck off into space"? That's retarded.