Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[PR] changes nanomed access to medlocker access
(03-24-2022, 06:28 PM)stuck_in_void_HELP Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 03:20 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: If you look at security on main which is whats being argued over here

The PR is about preventing sec players on the RP servers from breaking the "stay in your lane" rule that states you must do your job and not someone else's. There is, apparently, an issue with G3/4 sec teams abusing the access they have to treat themselves, as well as treating suspects and sometimes even random people, and that's when they're not hoarding medical items for themselves.
They are essentially large and small bandaids, how is that stepping over the lane? If our medical system was a bit more complex, or they were doing surgery sure. But... bandaids?
I would point out that a good security officer in real life should have some paramedic training but this is a game about spesmen in a corporate hell why would they hire well trained security when they can save credits on some schlub off the moon with a GED?
how about we just remove cloning?
Have y'all ever seen that one star trek screenshot with Picard saying something like "you can do everything right and still lose, this isn't a personal failure, it's just life"?

Sometimes you will lose for reasons completely outside your control, and this is not a bad thing, that's just how the game is. If you get to medbay but die anyway because there was nobody nearby with nanomed access, then just accept you did everything you could. You'll get another shot next round. If you want a game where every death is purely your own fault and playing perfectly will always lead to victory, play a singleplayer game.
Or I could use my own skills and save myself? I don't follow.
(03-24-2022, 07:35 PM)Cal Wrote: Or I could use my own skills and save myself? I don't follow.

This is a cooperative game, trying to do everything yourself can and will get you killed. To survive you need to rely on other players for help, and if they fail you, that's part of the game too. You do not need to win every single round.
There is a difference between "I won the round!" which is not my mentality and "I survived!" which IS my mentality. There is no reason I should die because other people were not there or simply did not give a shit when I have the mechanical skills to save myself. Or rather, I disagree that I -SHOULD- die.
This thread got off-topic a bit, so just to reiterate, this was made with both server sets in mind, not just RP. It is not strictly an "RP patch", it's one that could significantly affect a balance aspect of both servers.

To that point, all current feedback is noted. I'm kind of interested in even the inverse of what pgm mentioned on the github page for this, and following Ikea's point: locking PortAMed access but not Nanomed access might be worthwhile.
PortAMed access to medical staff only sounds like a much more fair solution to the perceived problem. If you have to at least make the effort to get your medical gear from the NanoMed, a doctor themselves, or chance having to go to medbay in the worst case scenario is a more thoughtful decision than a get out of jail with no downsides or inventory space lost in the form of the PortAMed.
I still disagree with that. Medical doctors start with powerful refillable menders.

That is their advantage and the help they bring to the table, locking the medical vendors just makes Security's life harder.

If you want to give doctors an edge, give them more tools. A stretcher you can do surgery on, a hover-table for surgery. Things of that nature would encourage people to seek them out rather than others to NEED to rely on them.
I agree that making medical doctors BETTER as opposed to making security WORSE at medicine is a more fun idea.
Main has no rules against power gaming, but it is frowned upon. This is sort of looking like an issue that happened with the Port-A-Sci. "Hey AI, I got robusted, Port-a-NanoMed me so I can heal up instantly and go clobber someone." Or, literally just steal/borrow the PAK off a doctor and clone it onto your PDA. As security, I can't say I haven't done this, but I will say I haven't done it in like a year. Very new when it was happening.

If the Nanomed is an issue for too fast on field healing.... just make the NanoMed require a new specific NanoMed access. The actual medical Vendors are slow as shit to heal with, syringe is clunking and you only get a solid 10 patches, plus you need to go all the way to medbay to do it. Or just make the NanoMed require the NanoMed remote, like how the Mdir has access too in their office.

Honestly I'd like to see a med overhaul like getting hurt to much might cause broken limbs or sprains that actually require you to go to medbay for a longer term heal than just everything being a styptic patch, styptic mender or styptic beaker splash.
Broken bones WOULD be fun but I can see people just getting a new robolimb or plant limb if that happened instead of fixing it. Might be fun though
Can we not remove things for the purpose of solving a problem that could be handled by ahelps? If people are self-treating on rp that's an issue with them, not with the mechanic. Security officers do need the ability to administer first aid in certain situations, and as a long-time rp player who has both mained doctor and sec, I almost never see this abused. If it is abused, I shoot up an ahelp and it's dealt with. Easy peasy.
(03-24-2022, 11:02 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I agree that making medical doctors BETTER as opposed to making security WORSE at medicine is a more fun idea.

Exactly this. This is the way to go.