Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[PR] changes nanomed access to medlocker access
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[input wanted]
About the PR
changes both stationary Nanomeds and Port-a-Nanomed access requirements to access_medical_lockers versus access_medical

Why's this needed?
All medical personnel who had access to the machines before still have access.
Security Officers and Janitors will no longer have access. Prevents self-treatment automatically. Both jobs are now in parity with other non-medical jobs in that they will have to hack the machines or get an ID upgrade first to be able to use them.

Code:
changelog
(u)nefarious6th
(*)removes security officers' and janitors' access to the Nanomed and Port-a-Nanomed

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
As much as a +1 as I could give to this, copy and pasting my GitHub comment:

I do not believe this poses that large of an issue as security officers on main as they can raid medbay for supply or choose any of the medical utilities from their equipment vendor if they want to carry meds.

This significantly helps with the RP issues of sec swerving out of their lane and ignoring doctors to treat others/themselves. As a doc on RP, you often have very little to do due to a lack of general violence/threats to the station. This paired with the very efficient and speedy medborgs means doctors can often just stand around waiting for patients, or getting highly territorial like vultures for patients.

This is only made worse when sec decides to doctor people with the nano-med instead of calling a doctor to their location.

If the situation is desperate, and they really need meds, they can have the AI summon then dispense meds to them/others while they wait for a doctor to arrive
nah, makes it awful for sec on classic, and sec on rp going out of their way to do doctoring should simply be ahelped or politely asked to stop. 

They generally need access to those things because they need to be healed whether there are doctors or not
(03-22-2022, 07:53 PM)Cal Wrote: nah, makes it awful for sec on classic, and sec on rp going out of their way to do doctoring should simply be ahelped or politely asked to stop. 

They generally need access to those things because they need to be healed whether there are doctors or not

You can remove the ID requirement from vendors via hacking. If there aren't any roundstart doctors on classic, I don't think anyone would mind if you made the vendors public access.
Plus, if they are available you can always ask the HOP or captain to give you medical locker access.
This is going to make it very hard for security to help save suspects and to heal themselves up after getting into a shoot out.
I don't think I like this idea for some of the reasons mentioned above. Considering sec is one of the highest chances of getting into conflict on the station removing a key ability they can use to stay alive doesn't make sense and I also think them having medical training at least on a first aid level which the portamed could be considered imo males sense
I don't like this, for the same reasons Cal (and others) mentioned.

All it does is it makes it harder for secs on Main, to solve a problem on the RP servers that can be dealt with by ahelping.
(03-22-2022, 11:43 PM)Lady Birb Wrote: You can remove the ID requirement from vendors via hacking. If there aren't any roundstart doctors on classic, I don't think anyone would mind if you made the vendors public access.
Plus, if they are available you can always ask the HOP or captain to give you medical locker access.

Why should I have to do this roundstart, every round? Or rely on an HoP or Captain that probably doesn't care about what i'm doing?

HoS would be unaffected by this as usual, and I'd have more on my plate dispensing meds to my officers like how I have to give them new cards when they're gibbed and there's no HoP or Captain to care. 

I suppose that -is- the HoS's job though, but at the same time I'm -NOT- Medical Director/Hop/Captain, but responsible.
yea this prob a bad idea all around, i get is to fix the raiding medbay issue but this causes more problems than the one it fixes
(03-23-2022, 03:04 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: This is going to make it very hard for security to help save suspects and to heal themselves up after getting into a shoot out.

You could call a doctor or send out a medical emergency before or after a shootout. Most can come running at any time
(03-23-2022, 10:35 AM)Yellow Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 03:04 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: This is going to make it very hard for security to help save suspects and to heal themselves up after getting into a shoot out.

You could call a doctor or send out a medical emergency before or after a shootout. Most can come running at any time

I thought it was a generally agreed upon thing that depending on other departments to do important stuff was bad? There's a reason the kitchen starts with assorted supplies already stocked - it's so they're able to serve food without depending on Botany. 

Same reason why there's a chem dispenser inside medbay on most maps: Sometimes chemistry just won't make medicine, so you make some yourself.
(03-23-2022, 10:35 AM)Yellow Wrote: You could call a doctor or send out a medical emergency before or after a shootout. Most can come running at any time

Yes, I do this already. However, Classic players are not FORCED to play their job, nor put themselves in danger to help me.

Reliance on other players and departments keeps the station running and cooperative and it's cool, but when I REALLY need to be healed I don't want to have to rely on a brand new fresh player to figure out styptic from atropine when they just want to have fun and do surgery on the clown.
(03-23-2022, 10:48 AM)stuck_in_void_HELP Wrote: I thought it was a generally agreed upon thing that depending on other departments to do important stuff was bad?

the absolute state of goonstation development
(03-23-2022, 02:44 PM)Lady Birb Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 10:48 AM)stuck_in_void_HELP Wrote: I thought it was a generally agreed upon thing that depending on other departments to do important stuff was bad?

the absolute state of goonstation development

Looks good to me. 

The last thing i want is to have my fun be dependent on whether or not some other person feels like doing what i want them to. And that's closely followed by having to choose between spending time doing what i want, and spending time doing what someone requested me to.
The way I feel cross-departmental interaction works often is like a bonus multiplier effect. The chef can do basic stuff alone, but an even mildly cooperative botanist/rancher gives significantly more options.

Having access to medbay as a whole, even without the vendors, still gives officers a lot of options for recovery; surgery, cryo, cloning, use of whatever basic supplies are around; usually a lot from round start. Security would still have access to general healing options, and doctors could provide faster / more refined care. That said, I think there are situations which security should be prepared for in some way, both practically and thematically.

Alongside this change, add some auto-injectors to SecTech vendors for medicines that security could be expected to need, but would now be locked out of completely. Tweaking which meds and how many auto-injectors should be included is a more nuanced discussion, and a lot easier to discuss and adjust.

My take is that they would have access to meds for both emergency stabilization like atropine/salbutamol, and curing injuries basic meds won't ever address, like occuline/mannitol.