Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nukie adjustments (Nuke timer; Plant location)
You could give the nukie commander a remote to open it early than have it auto-open after an arbitrary amount of time in case they're afk or whatever.
(03-23-2022, 06:29 AM)Gannets Wrote: Hopefully It'll not surprise you that I've long mulled over some of the suggestions in this thread. The points I've repeatedly come back to are that giving players, especially large groups, free selection or multiple selection of target location is likely to split the group or otherwise not funnel players to one specific location. Options means oppertunity to get lost or otherwise harm team cohesion.

Locking the breifing room has been on my mind too, but considering nuke ops have an unlimited round time and nothing to force them in to planting/leaving the ship early (other than to catch the crew unaware) would locking them in improve the quality of the planning taking place? The tools are already available to all operatives to observe the crew from a distance and make complimentary class selections, I'm just sceptical that sealing them in for 5 minutes would do anything other than generate 5 minutes of yelling and door-bashing before the round could continue in earnest.

Ultimately these suggestions look to enforce cooperation and good team-play through programatic solutions and I just don't think we can code a better nuclear operative.

Honestly i think lowering the timer on the nuke by one minute would already do wonders. There was a pretty good discussion over this on the Discord, and ultimately the best options we came up with was 9-and-4 for the regular and disked nuke timers, respectively, and 7-and-4.

I'm partial to the 9-and-4 solution but i'll take anything that shifts the rounds a little bit more in the nukies' favor.
4 minute nuke timers seem unfun across the board., only like twenty crew members would have time to show up and it wouldnt be enjoyable for the crew or much of the nukies. Honestly the more people that show up to the nuke the merrier, because nukies fighting the crew and vice versa is fun. While reducing the timer may make the number slightly higher, player experience matters much more. Most of the enjoyment of a nukie round doesnt come from the result, it comes from the journey, and youre hampering the journey by reducing the time.
In my experience with Nukie rounds, usually you have a pretty good idea whether or not you are going to defend/defuse the nuke around the 6 minute mark. Either the crew as a whole has not gotten off their rears and the nukies are stomping everything, or its down to one or two remaining on the nukie team. A 9 minute timer likely would make things a bit more in favor of nukies who are holding on for dear life by minute 7.
The 4 minute disk version though boy that's a different chestnut entirely, good luck having any kind of organized response with 3 minutes to effectively work.
(03-24-2022, 06:43 PM)Ikea Wrote: 4 minute nuke timers seem unfun across the board., only like twenty crew members would have time to show up and it wouldnt be enjoyable for the crew or much of the nukies. Honestly the more people that show up to the nuke the merrier, because nukies fighting the crew and vice versa is fun. While reducing the timer may make the number slightly higher, player experience matters much more. Most of the enjoyment of a nukie round doesnt come from the result, it comes from the journey, and youre hampering the journey by reducing the time.

The 4 minutes is from a disked nuke. If the crew can't get to the nuke in 4 minutes there's not much an additional minute would do.

The whole reason why i propose this is from countless rounds as a crewmember observing ~7 nukies spend 9+ minutes defending the nuke from 90+ crewmembers and still lose at the end with less than 10 seconds to go.

It's a bit of an exercise in futility when you could just simply go murderboning - chances are, you staying in one place waiting for people to come to you won't actually work.
Isn't a disked nuke currently seven minutes, not five?
(03-25-2022, 10:09 AM)Mouse Wrote: Isn't a disked nuke currently seven minutes, not five?

I was told it was 5 on the Discord.
Nuke Ops buff, reduce number of Nuke Ops, make gear better, give more utility points.

With less Operatives you have less friendly fire incidents, less team to worry about losing and less to keep an eye on as commander. Better gear means folks die faster and the player feels better about blasting that staffie in the face as they terminator walk towards you a few tiles before falling down... Then standing back up a second later and doing a few more tiles. Until you have a horde of staffie zombies in front of you shoving your gun away till the one in the back steals it. Instead, you deal double the damage and that staffie just literally falls over and dies and then its WONDERFUL.

More utility points because shoes and donks go fast fast fast. Or Knife? Many knives, CS:GO Style.
I still think the sniper rifle should decapitate targets below a certain health threshold.  That'd solve the zombie problem nicely.
Buffing nukies in exchange for having a smaller team is definitely the way to go. It's much easier to manage a smaller team and it lets you try some more advanced tactics than go to plant spot, stand next to nuke.
Also the disk reduces the timer by 3 minutes so I'm pretty sure disked nuke is 7.
Smaller teams mean less chances to get picked for syndie and I'd say no to that.
(03-26-2022, 03:51 AM)Mouse Wrote: I still think the sniper rifle should decapitate targets below a certain health threshold.  That'd solve the zombie problem nicely.

Shotgun too, and if it wouldn't be too much of a buff to regular traitors, the revolver(I don't see many traitors take it these days, usually they either get dual .22s for stealth or a saber for rampages)
(03-26-2022, 02:08 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Smaller teams mean less chances to get picked for syndie and I'd say no to that.

I think it would, in general, increase the number of fun nukie rounds. How many end as soon as you arrive cause someone mprts you in the back or throws a sarin grenade and gasses everyone. Smaller teams reduce flukie chance.

Also not sure about this but doesn't nukies have more antags than if it had been a mixed round currently? Reducing it brings it in line with other gamemodes.

Edit: When its a nukie round everyone sees action anyway, so its not a huge loss to be on the crew side instead.
(03-26-2022, 05:28 PM)Rmeaper Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 02:08 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Smaller teams mean less chances to get picked for syndie and I'd say no to that.

I think it would, in general, increase the number of fun nukie rounds. How many end as soon as you arrive cause someone mprts you in the back or throws a sarin grenade and gasses everyone. Smaller teams reduce flukie chance.

Also not sure about this but doesn't nukies have more antags than if it had been a mixed round currently? Reducing it brings it in line with other gamemodes.

Edit: When its a nukie round everyone sees action anyway, so its not a huge loss to be on the crew side instead.
In a vacuum sure this holds up but you have players of varying robustness levels across the servers and as a result, smaller teams also increase the odds of no-one on the nukie side being worth a damn, and makes it more of a struggle for an average group to keep up with the station just from sheer attrition. I am reminded of that scene in Gladiator where Proximo is talking to the slave trader who sells him Maximus, "Some are good for fighting, some are good for dying. You need both I think."
(03-26-2022, 03:51 AM)Mouse Wrote: I still think the sniper rifle should decapitate targets below a certain health threshold.  That'd solve the zombie problem nicely.

I personally think the Sniper Rifle should be nerfed but that's just me.