Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nukie adjustments (Nuke timer; Plant location)
I think the timer on the nuke needs to be lowered by one minute, down from 10 to 9. Same goes for the disked nuke, down from 5 to 4.

Plant locations that are "too inside" the station should be removed. Outer placements should be at least 90% of the randomly-selected objectives. By "outer" i mean objectives that are close to the outermost walls of the station, such as the bridge on Cog2.

Why? Because even though i don't put much stock on the competitive side of things, 70% of nukie rounds ending with a nukie defeat still seems excessive; I do not think, however, that large-scale changes are warranted. A minor tweak to make things slightly more favourable for the nukies would be ideal.
Is the outer section truly preferable though? One of the more powerful pieces of kit that all the crew can access is a pod, and a department that you breach on the outer perimeter then becomes an area they can use pods against you. Of course that means you are going to want to breach away from your target zone leading you back to square one having to murder your way a good portion of the way through the station to set up the bomb.
(03-21-2022, 11:13 PM)DioChasek Wrote: Is the outer section truly preferable though? One of the more powerful pieces of kit that all the crew can access is a pod, and a department that you breach on the outer perimeter then becomes an area they can use pods against you. Of course that means you are going to want to breach away from your target zone leading you back to square one having to murder your way a good portion of the way through the station to set up the bomb.

This isn't used as commonly, whereas moving through the station will 100% guarantee getting spotted before you plant and getting attacked as well.
A more intriguing fix to me would be give the nukie side 2 or 3 locations they can set the nuke at randomly instead of being locked into one.
options are cool.
(03-22-2022, 10:46 AM)DioChasek Wrote: A more intriguing fix to me would be give the nukie side 2 or 3 locations  they can set the nuke at randomly instead of being locked into one.

hard YES to that
Options would actually be a much better incentive for planning. Certain player preferences and planning might weigh on one location vs others, and may even help increase victory odds and improve nukie morale by enabling choice and agency with personnel vs having to accept the assignment as is.

Allowing a greater portion of placement sites to be outer hull sites allows for more stability for team oriented nukies, whos' cover is fast blown upon infiltration into deeper sectors. This could help offset nukie defeats that come from that. The meta change from a quick stop and end from a deep penetration site vs pod skirmishes along side outer hull locations would be a welcome change for both crew that want a challenge and laugh about flukies as well as operatives who simply cannot get all members that deep into the station without getting stopped right away.

Changing the meta of how players move and the dynamics they follow can be facilitated with more player agency and cutting down on those things that we can observe have a noticeable negative effect on the gameplay dynamics.
One idea that I've always had that I wasn't sure how well it would work was to lock the doors to the meeting room roundstart, and only the commander can unlock them, and (hopefully) the commander will actually formulate a plan with the team, instead of a third of the team instantly running to the loadout room instantly, and next thing you know, now there are three infils.
(03-22-2022, 04:36 PM)Jakson Wrote: One idea that I've always had that I wasn't sure how well it would work was to lock the doors to the meeting room roundstart, and only the commander can unlock them, and (hopefully) the commander will actually formulate a plan with the team, instead of a third of the team instantly running to the loadout room instantly, and next thing you know, now there are three infils.

but what if the commander was afk, that means being stuck
(03-22-2022, 04:39 PM)Lucky.Cobra Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 04:36 PM)Jakson Wrote: One idea that I've always had that I wasn't sure how well it would work was to lock the doors to the meeting room roundstart, and only the commander can unlock them, and (hopefully) the commander will actually formulate a plan with the team, instead of a third of the team instantly running to the loadout room instantly, and next thing you know, now there are three infils.

Could just give the commander the remote in his pocket or backpack, so if he is AFK, a fellow nukie could just take it off him. If a nukie tried to steal it from the captain while he wasn't AFK, he would just be ahelped.
(03-22-2022, 10:46 AM)DioChasek Wrote: A more intriguing fix to me would be give the nukie side 2 or 3 locations  they can set the nuke at randomly instead of being locked into one.

Yeah. Hadn't thought about that. A good idea.

Personally, I like to just let people take whatever they wanted to get and then try to come up with a plan around that.

3 Infiltrators?

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
(03-22-2022, 04:42 PM)Jakson Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 04:39 PM)Lucky.Cobra Wrote:

Could just give the commander the remote in his pocket or backpack, so if he is AFK, a fellow nukie could just take it off him. If a nukie tried to steal it from the captain while he wasn't AFK, he would just be ahelped.

Can't strip people on the Cairngorm IIRC.
I’m pretty sure the bottom section of the carigorm and maybe the medbay are both non-safe zones (forgot the word) so if you’d need to strip an afk player, you’d just need to drag them down there
Hopefully It'll not surprise you that I've long mulled over some of the suggestions in this thread. The points I've repeatedly come back to are that giving players, especially large groups, free selection or multiple selection of target location is likely to split the group or otherwise not funnel players to one specific location. Options means oppertunity to get lost or otherwise harm team cohesion.

Locking the breifing room has been on my mind too, but considering nuke ops have an unlimited round time and nothing to force them in to planting/leaving the ship early (other than to catch the crew unaware) would locking them in improve the quality of the planning taking place? The tools are already available to all operatives to observe the crew from a distance and make complimentary class selections, I'm just sceptical that sealing them in for 5 minutes would do anything other than generate 5 minutes of yelling and door-bashing before the round could continue in earnest.

Ultimately these suggestions look to enforce cooperation and good team-play through programatic solutions and I just don't think we can code a better nuclear operative.