HOS application - Chatauscours (Alex Wilo)
Usual character name: Alex Wilo
BYOND username: Chatauscours
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Chatauscours #3532
Recommended by (if applicable): None
Goon servers you play: Goon 3 and 4 mostly, hop on 1 once in a while

Reason for application:
Every that I played as sec, I've always seen the HOS as a symbol of a more enjoyable round. The HOS is at the same time someone that the crew can rely on: in the case the things go badly, the HOS will know how and when to call the shuttle, what to do in what situation, and will generally look out for everyone; that (at least on RP) the antags can rely on: they will be there to give and get an enjoyable RP if the antag give in some RP too, and will not just validhunt the hell out of everything; and that the security can rely on: explain things, help out in difficult situations, and organise the team. The role given to the HOS, is more of an opportunity is to lead, help and organise security, which is something that is a challenging thing to do, but a very interesting and fun one to do, if you know how, and this is something I am already doing, the best I can, as a security officer, and hope I can continue doing so as an HOS.
But we all know that the true reason is to get the ability Sylvester whenever I want.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I started playing ss13 about six months ago. At first, I did not want to play security, as it seemed too difficult to keep track of everything, and just felt too scared of getting beaten up by a mob each time I walked out of the office for a split second. But after gaining more experience, it turned out to be fine. From there on, I started to play security nearly every day. I have more recently found the guilty pleasure of training secasses, my favourite part is exlpaining to them how does the barrier works, and hearing a "woah".
As a rule of thumb, I prefer to first talk it out with a suspect about what is going on and what are they doing drunk and naked in the armory binging on donuts (a true story), bringing them in peacefully, without handcuffs, or whistle at them if they try to run and continue whisteling wile they are running, to show them that they always have a chance to go in peacefully and attract attention from other officers, all that until I get a chance to stun the suspect with something.

I will also try do front desk if there is nobody else to do it and there are plenty officers on patrol, as I trurly belive that front desk is important for RP, that leaving security unattended can be a bad idea depending on the round, and that an officer can be more useful at the front desk doing the dispatch and establishing some sort of an always patrolled hallway in front of sec, ready to intercept runners, than in the field creating even more chaos than there is order.
When it comes to interacting with antagonists, or pretty much any crewmen, I will always try to let them go off with a warning it they are doing a hamless gimmick, even if it technically illegal, like a clown wearing boomboots, and even try to help by for example asking HOP to give them a contraband carry permit or asking other secoffs to ignore them while they are doing this gimmick. If the antag gimmick involves security, I will try to play along if we are no other more urgent cases.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
     BATON:
  • B - Be communicative with the team. Report incidents, arrests, and warrants. It is important for people to know what and why are you doing, what case has the highest priority and who to hunt more generally and for what crimes. It also prevents unjust punishments and confusion, leading for a person to be arrested twice and all that stuff.
  • A - Antags are not your enemies (at least on RP). You will get little fun from just killing them on their first offense without a word, but you will get a lot more fun if you talk to them and give them a second chance, by following the protocol.
  • T - Talk to people. And by that I mean other crewmates, and not only your team. Show some face, smile, be helpful, and prove that sec is not just some death squad, that comes in with a flashbang and harmbattons every living soul without understaning the situation.
  • O - On the table goes the labeled pinpointer and the disk. And I can't stress it enough. It will both give the possibility to find your body or the fella that stole your stuff, and clone you if you are not clonescanned, a thing that you should also always do.
  • N - No worries. There is nothing shameful in asking for help a more experienced secoff, a  mentor, or pretty much anyone. It's always better to ask for advice and even doublecheck sometimes, than to deal with the consequences of not asking.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    I think that such a thing as more sechud icons/statuses would be very useful, for exemple one for arrest with force, perp is armed and dangerous, another one for talk or ticket, and a third one for arrest without using force, with all three triggering beepskies and scanners. It will let people know how to properly engage a suspect, and what sort of crimes they did to get that status (minor crime/ major crime/ just being a nuisance).
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    The seccass tried to be your friend,
    He hugged you, but you shot him.
    Now you're in brig, thinking:"What is wrong with officer Lew?".
    But it's not him, it's just you.
  • Draw a picture!
    I am very bad at drawing, but here goes nothing:
[Image: Alex-Wilo.png]
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None

Thank you for reading this application.
I've had Alex Wilo on my shift several times and im always happy to see them on my team. They're reliable, friendly, often trying to de-escalate the situation instead of instantly resorting to violence. I've seen them treat antagonists fairly and serving sentences that were appropriate.

The only thing i'd like to see more of is a bit more of a presence on the radio, since knowing what your fellow security members are doing and where can truly help everyone figure out what's being done and what still needs dealing with.

I trust them not to go mad with power and to keep acting in a kind manner even with the big boots on.
+1
I've both been on the team with alex, and been a crew observing his actions. I think hes a good, competent secoff and I haven't seen anything that I would deem negative. Also, if you made the BATON advice yourself, well done. +1
Alex knows how to handle situations well, also drawing the line between conversation and confront. I've seen they teach new players and do competent work as security officer. +1
Really great officer, one of the most reliable officers that i have worked with so far.I haven't witnessed any gross misconduct conducted by Alex as an officer.
He has more friendly and calm manner/personality and can diffuse any situation with them
+1
I see Alex regularly on almost every secoff shift I play. He's very reliable, very responsible and easily keeps track of what's going on everywhere, pays attention to comms and is very communicative and well organized. +1
Love the art, +1.

From what I've seen they're consistent on sec coms and have reliable sec presence. Spends time teaching new secass and secoffs their tools and job. Fair to antags and nonantags when applicable. Doesn't abuse their security access or tools. I'm sure they'll grow into their HoS boots.
I see Alex pretty consistently when I do play on the RP servers, having a reliable and helpful presence within security. I've worked alongside them once or twice with some past shifts and they've always been a helpful asset to the sec team, never taking advantage of their authority or beating the hell out of an antag at first sight. +1
Ah yes, how could I forget the badass space bobby. As a secoff/Det (What I mainly play as) My experience with them is very positive, they tend to coordinate with the team quite well, genuinely a nice/well liked person to play with and very robust. Overall their performance as a sec officer is admirable, they always get the job done especially when it comes to coordinating against antag elements and with as minimal force as possible. While I couldn't think of any key highlights moment I had with them(Except being a very pleasant person they are) I can say that every shift I've been in with Alex Wilo around are ones worth remembering.
gl Wilo o7
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a HoS. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our HoS Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.