Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RIP Public Ban Appeals
Personally, I think that players are deserving of their privacy when it comes to ban appeals and admin actions taken against them. The alternative is having public appeals which A: can lead to embarrassment on the part of the player due to having to air out whatever happened that led to their ban (and thus they might end up not appealing), and B: can have players using their appeal as a soapbox to push whatever agenda they have - as is what happened multiple times. This is in addition to the fact that one of the admin guidelines for goonstation for as long as I've been apart of the community has been to discourage the revealing or discussing of players bans - a guideline that public ban appeals obviously break.

As far as I can tell, there are two primary reasons that give merit to public ban appeals. 1: They make things in regards to the administration staff more transparent. 2: They give examples of what NOT to do as a player on goonstation. In regards to the former, just from my perspective as someone who has been in the community for about 2 years now, I think that the admin team has been very transparent just in general. I feel like whether it's balance changes, rule amendments etc, the staff has always done a good job of explaining their reasoning behind things. Town Hall meetings also contribute greatly in transparency. In regards to the latter, I admittedly did read ban appeals every now and then for just that purpose. I think that's the only big thing that is *lost* on the switch from public to private, but in my opinion it's a sacrifice that had to be made in order to protect the privacy of players. I think it is far more important to afford people their privacy over shining a spotlight on their mistakes.
RIP but good riddance
I'm looking forward to Discord dying and all Goonstation related things users have posted disappearing and then having to go back to this forum.
(06-06-2022, 09:31 AM)gleb09 Wrote: I'm looking forward to Discord dying and all Goonstation related things users have posted disappearing and then having to go back to this forum.

Not since the burning of the Library of Alexanderia would such a tragedy to occur
If watching the internet evolve has taught me one thing it is when one social media/messenging site dies another new one takes its place. But message boards are eternal.
DERAILMENT DETECTED! REINIATING RAILING SYSTEM!

So we can all say that public appeals have both plus 's and minus's.
As well as private ones.

An "IDEA" is that the appealer can make it go public if they like.... but then again.. that can cause a mess.
So insted I think it's best we discuss some implications on private appeals.

For example how annoying it is an admin is hounded till they have to reveal the reason for ban and the failed appeal just to show: "Hey this guy is a jerk and is lieing"
Is it better for admins to deal with appeals in public or private? Any admin may respond as they like. Just curiousity sake.
I mean with private appeals admins can just post the logs without worrying about the privacy concerns that come with everyone and their grandma being able to gawk at 'em
the solution is to let players who want their appeals to be public, be public and vice versa
(06-09-2022, 06:03 PM)MoonJesus Wrote: the solution is to let players who want their appeals to be public, be public and vice versa

I think thats a thing already, no?
(06-12-2022, 08:22 AM)GuiHppn Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 06:03 PM)MoonJesus Wrote: the solution is to let players who want their appeals to be public, be public and vice versa

That's the case only for admin feedback. All ban appeals are private.
There were very few good things in the public bans forum. It was helpful in defining things you definitely should NOT do in game, in Discord, or on the forums for those who needed explicit rules and citations because that is the way they are wired.
It was also good in a self reflective aspect for other players to change their behavior.
Finally it provided schadenfreud which ok yeah arguably isn’t a positive. But every now and again a train wreck of an application went through that made you reach for your bowl of popcorn.
(06-12-2022, 09:02 AM)Chatauscours Wrote:
(06-12-2022, 08:22 AM)GuiHppn Wrote:

That's the case only for admin feedback. All ban appeals are private.

While the Ban Appeals forum is indeed private, players may opt to make their ban appeal, and the responses to it, public if they so desire. To my knowledge, there aren't any examples of this happening yet though.