Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replace or remove the antag critter drops
From what I've been told, the reason for antag critters having drops was to incentivize players to kill them.  First off, I'm not convinced that players need incentives to kill antags, they're usually happy enough to do it anyways.  Secondly, I don't see the point in adding incentives to kill antag critters that aren't there for regular antags, particularly since regular antags are far more dangerous.  Thirdly, save for the spider's gimmick drops, all the antag critter drops are extremely powerful, far in excess of the danger they pose.

From the moment an antag critter (aside from spiders) spawns and is spotted it's going to be hunted down by a good chunk of the station, particularly security, to be killed for its drops before it even manages to do anything antagonistic.  I don't think this is really something that needs to be encouraged, especially for security!  Antag critters are, presumably, intended to add something to the round.  I don't think giving security ~sweet loot~ so they can be even harder to kill than they already are adds anything other than frustration for the antags and a profoundly bad security culture.
(03-17-2022, 01:22 PM)Mouse Wrote: First off, I'm not convinced that players need incentives to kill antags, they're usually happy enough to do it anyways. 

You'd be surprised! A lot of players are happy to let antags rampage as long as they can keep azoning or doing chemistry or whatever.

(03-17-2022, 01:22 PM)Mouse Wrote: Secondly, I don't see the point in adding incentives to kill antag critters that aren't there for regular antags, particularly since regular antags are far more dangerous. 

Yes they are! And they'll drop even sweeter loot, like an unlocked PDA or a c saber.

(03-17-2022, 01:22 PM)Mouse Wrote: Thirdly, save for the spider's gimmick drops, all the antag critter drops are extremely powerful, far in excess of the danger they pose. From the moment an antag critter (aside from spiders) spawns and is spotted it's going to be hunted down by a good chunk of the station, particularly security, to be killed for its drops before it even manages to do anything antagonistic. 

Not true. I've seen plenty of antag critters be let off or have goofy fun. If you're valided, oh well! Them's the breaks.
(03-17-2022, 01:22 PM)Mouse Wrote: From what I've been told, the reason for antag critters having drops was to incentivize players to kill them. 

As another reason for them being added (iirc I think myself adding them?), the antag critter events were added bringing in additional antagonistic forces without to my knowledge other parts of the game being adjusted to account for it, so the loot is there to reward the station for having to deal with the extra trouble that wasn't there before (as well as a way to bring unique toys into the station).
Issue is, the loot only benifits one person, the person who kills them. Now you have many people who know how and will instakill any antag critters just because, and I quote, "They exist to be killed". Then you have one person with a ton of overpowered gear just instakilling any new antags that spawn.
I say give em more loot. There needs to be more incentive to kill them since there are so many people who will blindly defend them.
honestly, i think the antag critters have become a bit too strong as is without a flash to support someone
while i do think the world of warcraft esque loot dropping is a bit of a chore but funny sometimes, i do think that adjusting it or evenly distributing it to the attackers would be too overpowered
At least let antag critters get glasses slots so we can also, you know, kill the entire station without getting flashed and insta -killed. If you want antag critters to have a fighting chance, it would really help to find some sunglasses and not just get ganked