Mr. Pubber Head of Security Application
Usual character name: Mr. Pubber
BYOND username: Harleythefoxy
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Harley The Foxy#7962
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Goon 3 and 4

Reason for application: Seeing how a good, fun, roleplaying head of security can shift the round in Goon RP inspired me to make an application for it. They can change the pace of a security round, and give an amazing amount of leadership, organization, and quality assistance to the security team, as well as help lead the way for good RP to have with antagonists. I would love the ability to try out this amazing role, and to lead the roleplay of the security team to the best of my ability and to help organize a commonly chaotic security team. The leadership, in particular, I think is needed a lot on Goon RP. Commonly, I see security officers not understand space law, and how to deal with antagonists, on Goon RP. More often than not, it is thought that you can permabrig or space antagonists once proven, and the security team has to correct them, showing them that we are to provide a good roleplay experience, and act within the bounds of spacelaw, with executions only being given under severe circumstances, with the same for a permabrigging (and to be avoided at all costs, anyway, there's no fun in executions except at the end of the round in centcom and same for permabrigging.)

Finally, even if I don't have my application accepted, the reason for it not being accepted would be a great way to find out how I can be a better security officer on the station, as I always want to improve in everything I do.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I don't have the exact number of rounds I have played on security, but most of them are on security officer or security assistant, only a few rounds on detective specifically. I have seen every threat that can come to the station (without admin intervention) on the RP servers, and I have been a part of very interesting roleplay narratives with each one, even with antagonists who do not RP. Changeling rounds and vampire rounds, in particular, have been great to RP in, especially if someone claims that there's a vampire or "ling", and we act like vampires don't exist, or "what is a ling?". I give the antagonists the benefit of surprise with their abilities, even with some things with regular syndicate equipment, because it can make a great opportunity instead of just batonning them to the ground immediately! I always open up every situation as security officer with RP, unless someone is going to die unless I act immediately. Even when the crew members being arrested or cited are being extremely emotional, I keep my cool, and I try my best to let them understand that I am not here to ruin their game, that I am here to RP with them. Many times over, I have seen antagonists and regular crew become terrified that security is going to permabrig them for something, like stealing the captain's ID, and I reassure them that that is not the case. I tend to be a lenient security officer, if anything, and I love it when I am given good RP!

I went into one of the most fun roleplays I had as security officer down below, so I will go into a more difficult situation that happened a few days ago here. It was the beginning of the shift, and a security officer was attacked (by accident) by someone, then they ran away. At the time, it seemed more like a hit and run, so we managed to chase them into psych ward in medbay. There, they continued to attack the officer with a crowbar, while I was typing asking what was happening. I quickly switch to my baton, and cuff them, then ask them what's up. They said the first one was an accident, and it seemed more so that they were just afraid of repercussions. They start getting very... verbally assaultive, but I continue telling them that because this was all a misunderstanding, I'll just cite them and let them go. They get even angrier, but I let them go, and had to stop that one doctor from trying to put them in the psych ward. However, this person ended up just harassing security and medical even further, and I had to ahelp about them using the r-slur, among their angry behavior. They committed suicide pretty quickly in medical, and never returned that round. I will admit, that was a tough situation, but that's why I think it is a good thing to share in this application. I tried my best to deescalate it, but despite my best attempts, the user continued to act like that, but I feel I still handled it well, and tried to give opportunities to roleplay throughout it, even if the player didn't contribute at all.

Additionally, some of my favorite experiences and roleplay come in vampire and changeling rounds, where it starts off with confusion from the security team until we learn slowly about the threat and develop ways to overcome it. Additionally, vampires that decide to not kill are always fun to roleplay with. Pretty much any antagonist, though, can give a great experience, and I always welcome it! Some are really creative, too! 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? Open each situation not with a baton but with words. Roleplay it out, if you can, even if they're going to be arrested anyway! The fun isn't in "winning" against the antagonists, it's about exploring an entertaining narrative on a space station that's doomed regardless. In many cases, the antagonists actually can talk their way out of a situation, and you should let them and interact with it! There are so many amazing stories that can be had, just as long as you let the antagonists have their say in it! Even if they're being "annoying" (try not to let it get to you, it's just a game!), and a little too murder-y, still roleplay it out!

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) The Medical Director was antagonist, and at the start of the round went into the AI upload and changed the laws to say it was butt inspection day. I went out, got the prints, figured it was them, and when I go to medbay with the proof, they already had a bag of butts from what they took surgically. I talk to them in medbay for a bit, giving them their rights, informing them that I just want to take them into questioning. Once in the interrogation room, they request a lawyer. I tell them we only have a monkey with a funny hat, they said that's fine, so I bring them in. Then I asked them why they uploaded that law, then they told me that it was because all of our butts were going to turn on us, and that they were going to save us, and not even the captain knew! I gasped, and played along with it, terrified that my own butt was going to betray me. After a few more exchanges, I release them on a citation as long as they promise to replace each butt they take with a cyberbutt, and to do it with consent of the individual. This is probably my best example of how to roleplay as both security officer and antagonist. It's not about winning or losing, it's about creating a memorable roleplay moment!

• What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? This one seems simple, but we definitely need a better interface when dealing with security records. On RP, it can be very hard to keep track of who is on what case, who has done what in the past, especially on a quick glance at someone. Making decisions quickly helps keep the flow of roleplay going, and having to go pull up records, which may not even be entered, can delay that roleplay, and make the enjoyment of security and antagonist worse. Having better security records, with more information available quickly to the officer (such as on the sechud), and having actual case records available too (without them being annoying to use), would be a fantastic help to the security team.

• Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. Being a lone security officer on a station can be both tough and rewarding. It happens more often on lower population times on the roleplay servers, where it offers a great opportunity for small, focused roleplay to occur. With lower population, you spend less time chasing criminals, and more time talking, roleplaying. There's less of a rush, and a lot more opportunity to explore the more finer aspects of what being a security officer on Space Station 13 can be! One important difference, for sure, is that you have to decide what's the most important thing in that moment. Desk duty and ticketing someone for underage drinking is far less important than someone being murdered.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13: 

The beauty of the space bee
Is all that can be
When one thinks of the most beautiful object in SS13

Its magestic wings and its beautiful eyes;
Its eternal beauty will always hypnotize.

Oh the love for the amazing space bee is one of life,
For without a spacebee is a station with only strife.

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?  There are many gimmicks I want to run, but one in particular is one round where everyone on the security team is talking in the same accent and uniform, something maybe like some Greasers with leather jackets, and roleplay the entire round like that, but not let it interfere in our security matters. Even our records will be in the accent, just for the completeness of the roleplay.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I have never been banned.
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be July 7. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!