Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damage type weighting for soft-crit
Okay this is a rough idea I've had in the back of my head for a while, but I've neither been active nor interested in the morass of combat discussion. However, with the discussions I've seen around people getting up in crit too easily (to fight back or run off to medbay) I figure something's gonna happen sooner or later. It feels wise to suggest some solution that also prevents stuff I do care about (medbay) from being too negatively impacted!

There is already some emulation of pain in the form of slowdown as you take damage, and what I'd like to propose is to expand that a bit so the various damage types contribute different multipliers to the chance of getting stunned in crit. Whenever crit rolls for if you should get stunned, it takes the weighted average of those multipliers when determining stuns. (I would suggest 1,5 for brute, 1,75 for burn, and 1 for tox/oxy, but implementing this it'd be obvious to make those numbers defines)

So at [200 brute 0 oxy] you'd be 1,5x as likely to roll a stun from being in 100% crit than if you had [0 brute 200 oxy] damage. At [200 brute 200 oxy] you'd have a 1,25x chance to roll stun for 300% crit thanks to the averaging, etcetera. In my opinion dying rolls should be unaffected, mostly because getting in mostly dead patients and saving them is very fun for experienced doctors. It doesn't happen a lot and it'd suck if we had it happen even less.

Intended effects (given the above multipliers) being:

-Things won't kill you quicker but some will make you helpless quicker
-Lethals are strictly buffed because people aren't getting up at 200% brute crit as much.
-Burn gets a kind of stopping power that makes going through a plasmafire actually risky. The numbers I chose are deliberately picked to make burn stand out from brute, since it kinda feels like an incidental category of damage rather than one people actually bother inflicting. Also makes firebrand my beloved a more dangerous nukie class.
-Soft crit is near enough unaffected for suffocation/tox damage, so space without oxygen is as survivable as it was (some hope of recovery on your own) and alcoholics with dead livers can still run halfway across the station to medbay. (I'd argue that's the fun part of alcohol poisoning anyway)
-Dealing more than 100 burn/brute has some benefit (with deminishing returns) in that mounting oxy damage will affect the chances less.
-Doctoring stays pretty much the same, it's just some patients are less likely to make it to medbay on their own.
-I get that this change is entirely on the technical side but hopefully it's kinda intuitive once you learn about it.

Effects I haven't exactly figured out are desirable:

-Hotwiring would get considerably more lethal since the zapping deals burn, and I'm not convinced it needs the buff especially now that engine nerds have surpassed the barriers for getting past the MW magnitude on TEGs.
-People only just about getting beaten into crit are going to see less impact of this change since the ramping oxy damage lowers the average. By the time they're at 100 ox the pain effect will have halved, but then at that point you're not too far off from the stunlock anyway.

Things I do not give a shit about:

-I'm sure people will look at the above and realise something along the lines of "so if I'm in crit from burn damage I can improve my stun rolls by punching myself, the brute bringing the average multiplier down". I'm not convinced the math would actually be in your favour as the total damage scales, but at that point you're murdering yourself harder to stay conscious and I think that's a funny situation for our spacepeeps to end up in.

I haven't looked at the code for being in crit so lord knows how feasible this is without rewriting a bunch of shit
the idea would work but i think the complication it adds to an already pretty RNG-heavy feature might be hard to balance effectively, though it would be nice for lethals.