Complaint Arbitrary admins
Admin: jan.antilles

Server: sylvester
Date + time: 2022-03-12 2:16pm EST
Synopsis: I was going back and forth with the admin and question and they told me to stop my piss bandit thing, told me to cool off. I said I wasn't going to join the next round anyway. I messaged them on the discord because the ss13 feature for talking to admins is not good imo, they told me to stop dming them, so I did.

what I wanted was for her to simply explain, why it's okay for the game to describe litreally shitting yourself with the fart function, with the urine already in the game. But I can't be the piss bandit. I wasn't arguing, only asking for an explanation. I was promptly banned and ignored for asking for an explanation.

Im am here to address the dismisal of a legitimate question and the arbitrary wims of this admin. As well as the additional dismissal of my concerns over suicide in the discord, when another player said "Suicide is a human right" Which to be blunt, is the most insane thing I ever heard. I have a friend who killed himself and I was VERY upset by that remark. Instead adressing the issue properly, the admin in question shut me down without another word. 

I certainly have not come to expect any sort of justice as far as the admins here go, but an attempt must be made.
I urge you to hold yourself to a higher standard and not let this arbitrary stuff continue.

Extra information: Noble Cadia#9657 on discord if you feel you need to message me.
Hi there, thanks for the feedback.

I informed you that your "piss bandit" roleplay gimmick was disgusting. You spent the entire game dumping containers of urine all over the station and talking about it on the radio, despite multiple people commenting about how gross it was.

One of your comments even violated Rule 4 because you referred to your genitalia:
[Image: unknown.png]

Regarding the "why is it okay for an emote to mention shitting down your leg but not for me to piss everywhere:" First of all, there is no such emote that mentions shitting down someone's leg. I and others checked the code directly to verify this. Second of all, even if there was, that has nothing to do with whether or not I can tell you to knock off a gimmick that I and many other people in a round find disgusting.

Now, regarding the suicide comment. The source of that comment was that Security in the game have the right to not clone you, because you have the right in the game to commit suicide with a command if you decide to stop playing.

The roleplay server chat is not the place to discuss the ethics of suicide in real life. That was never the conversation.

Given the context of the round and everything that occurred during our conversation, including DMing me despite my Discord profile stating not to do so, banning you for six hours seems very fair. Any other admin, and you, are welcome to disagree.
(03-12-2022, 11:29 AM)TheSlizz Wrote: Im am here to address the dismisal of a legitimate question and the arbitrary wims of this admin. As well as the additional dismissal of my concerns over suicide in the discord, when another player said "Suicide is a human right" Which to be blunt, is the most insane thing I ever heard. I have a friend who killed himself and I was VERY upset by that remark. Instead adressing the issue properly, the admin in question shut me down without another word. 

I hope this doesn't count as peanut gallerying, since I wanted to address this particular topic.

The 'suicide is a right' thing comes from the AI Laws page. It exists to prevent people from holding themselves hostage to get what they want from the AI under Law 1.
As a sanity check, it's also rather an important thing to keep in mind outside of AI.

Suicide is a rather vital game mechanic for many other reasons too, and cannot be reasonably removed. You sometimes need to do it to get 'unstuck' from when you are trapped. Or when people do things like abandon you anaesthetized in surgery. Or you're stuck N2O'd somewhere. Or you need to go and can't get to cryo. Or you need it to explore the bounds of science as a living gold stature. Or just for whatever other reason.

As someone who has been hospitalized for it several times myself, I do understand that suicide can be a very raw topic. But ultimately, this is a game where life on the frontier is incredibly cheap, and often temporary. Ten percent crew attrition is an especially quiet and safe shift. From a meta perspective, medbay does not sign up for spending the shift watching someone on suicide watch, and trying to provide amateur psychological roleplay that not even real trained psychologists often manage in real life. So, yeah, if you kill yourself, you very much risk your obvious desire being fulfilled, and people will let you die. And they will probably say it's your right, because that is what the wiki implies in the lore. So that, again, someone can't hold themselves hostage out of spite and crash everyone's rounds.

It has to be that way, for the sake of the fact that this is a game we all play to have fun.
(03-12-2022, 12:06 PM)jan.antilles Wrote: Hi there, thanks for the feedback.

I informed you that your "piss bandit" roleplay gimmick was disgusting. You spent the entire game dumping containers of urine all over the station and talking about it on the radio, despite multiple people commenting about how gross it was.

One of your comments even violated Rule 4 because you referred to your genitalia:

Regarding the "why is it okay for an emote to mention shitting down your leg but not for me to piss everywhere:" First of all, there is no such emote that mentions shitting down someone's leg. I and others checked the code directly to verify this. Second of all, even if there was, that has nothing to do with whether or not I can tell you to knock off a gimmick that I and many other people in a round find disgusting.

Now, regarding the suicide comment. The source of that comment was that Security in the game have the right to not clone you, because you have the right in the game to commit suicide with a command if you decide to stop playing.

The roleplay server chat is not the place to discuss the ethics of suicide in real life. That was never the conversation.

Given the context of the round and everything that occurred during our conversation, including DMing me despite my Discord profile stating not to do so, banning you for six hours seems very fair. Any other admin, and you, are welcome to disagree.

Im dogshit at using the forums so stay with me on this.

1. In regards to the first part about the rule 4 violation: while true, I feel compelled to mention that this was in response to someone threatening to cut off my genitals, so if I broke it, so did they.

2. "Second of all, even if there was, that has nothing to do with whether or not I can tell you to knock off a gimmick that I and many other people in a round find disgusting."  Im gonna put my own research into this particular one and get back to this, cause I swear on my mum that there is something along the lines of what I described. If not, I'll eat my words.

3. The previous comment is exactly what I mean by arbitrary with the "Even if it was." These things are on the same level, and should be treated as such. Both of them or okay, or neither are okay, there is a dedicated fart button for pete sake, no other server I played on has that. Not to mention that *during* the round the only complaints I received were in character: Which makes sense, it's pee after all. I received zero actual complaints (that I'm aware of) till after the round.

4. Speaking of after the round. I Dm'd you, no I didn't check to see if they were "Open" because I don't check every profile I message if I can message them or not. Either way, you said to stop, I did. That should have been the end of that. You however chose to escalate that into a ban to even after I said I wasn't even going to join the next round. I sat in the lobby using the adminhelp feature as to your request, where I simply requested an explanation as to why certain things are allowed and why others aren't, which I learn now turns out to be "Because I said so" which honestly further supports the argument that this part was based on personal whims instead of any rules or system. You banned me for requesting an explanation on the pretense of arguing and DMing you ONCE and immediately stopping afterwards. I cannot help but feel your reaction to this was completely overboard. Especially since I now have *ANOTHER* ban on record because of it.

5. Finally, as for the suicide comment. Love explained it better, In the moment when I heard "Suicide is a human right." A switch was flicked, because it certainly didn't sound like they were talking about the game. I live in a country where voluntary euthanasia is legal (I wont get into that bag of worms though.) so it was a logical assumption for me think they were vocally supporting it.

All I ask is you consider what I have said, One way or another I don't think I will remain with goonstation for long as every experience I've had with admins so far has been god awful.

"CYRUS farts really hard. Motor oil runs down its leg."
As for the fart button making you shit. Its for silicons, but the implication is quite clear.

Your piss gimmick broke rule 4. You can tell it broke rule 4 because an admin told you it did. Is this subjective? Yes. Is it arbitrary? No. It is not our job to teach you the difference between the two. It is our job to inform you when your actions have broken the rules, and your responsibility to follow said rules to the best of your ability.

The rules exist as a set of principles for us to use to shape the community into the kind of place we, and our players, want to be a part of. Our players do not want to roleplay out your piss bandit RP. We don't want your piss bandit RP here. The rules are tools by which we can tell you to stop doing it. Your response to being told this should not be to argue with the admin team. Do not make excuses. Do not rules lawyer. Do not try to find examples of other people breaking the rules in order to justify why it's okay when you also break the rules. If someone else breaks the rules, report them. Do not copy their behavior.

Do not go onto discord to try to continue to argument with admins in DMs. This is an unwanted and unnecessarily aggressive move, and you should know better than to do this. There are proper channels for conversing with admins and DMing them is not one of them. This is not something that we will debate with you, and attempting to debate it with us will not end well for you.

I do not think there is any value in this thread continuing, so I am closing it. Your complaints, such as they are, have been noted and reviewed by the admin team.