Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Combine breath masks with vocal translators
Actually Roach People, Cow People, Skeleton People, Lizard and Pug People are all explicitely humans now. You can see that on the wiki page linked there. Monkeys are still non-human though, but AI just can't kill player-monkeys because of no grief rules.
(03-10-2022, 07:33 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(03-09-2022, 08:06 PM)Cal Wrote: https://wiki.ss13.co/Human

So does Roach People, Cow People, Skeleton People, Lizard and Pug People who are SELECTABLE STARTING RACES.

says theyre human on the page
(03-10-2022, 10:01 AM)Cal Wrote:
(03-10-2022, 07:33 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(03-09-2022, 08:06 PM)Cal Wrote: https://wiki.ss13.co/Human

So does Roach People, Cow People, Skeleton People, Lizard and Pug People who are SELECTABLE STARTING RACES.

says theyre human on the page

I am an idiot and didnt check the wiki, where did I read they weren't? CALL ME A MORON! I deserve that XD
(03-10-2022, 07:33 AM)Kotlol Wrote: While other races can be higher ranks (for some reasons), monkeys are suppose to be seen as bottom of the barrel. Thus if I see a monkey captain I will play a questionable charater on it as acordance to lore and what we know monkeys do. I also always feel like Monkeys in high roles are kind of silly cause Genetics tests on monkeys, Science tests on monkeys and the kitchen can serve monkey food.... so yea...

I stand by my monke captain, Kotlol. You wish you had an intelligence-increasing artifact serum making YOU hypercompetent. And a giant wig making you 90% hair.  a fancy greater domestic space-bee

On the actual topic, I'd certainly dance in joy if I could both talk AND use internals. It's certainly a huge pain when you're playing any role that needs to talk, and someone depressurizes a hallway or something. But it isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, given PDA messaging. Though that is often missed by people, I guess due to the lack of colours when you message particular groups like Security.

I do understand why it is there, given the power of monkey-jumps and monkey-mailing.

That being said, I certainly support a DIFFERENT nerf than the vocal translators preventing internals, even if it was, say, a Max HP reduction or something, due to monkesize. Because nerfs that reduce fun and engagement with the game and other players (IE, by preventing talking to people) seem like the bad sort, and it's not like we can't do something else, if someone is willing to PR it.
monkey nerf suggestions:
note: these are just spitballed ideas, adding all of them would be way too much of a nerf
  • reduced max HP, like Love said
  • further reduced max stamina, enough that they go down in one taser shot
  • halved OD threshold with chems, due to smaller body
  • lower max blood, suffers from low/high blood pressure effects sooner
  • clumsiness-like effect when using guns or batons, due to small brain
  • remove roundstart primal genetics to make it harder to self-monkeyfy
I specifically didn't add the ability to insert it into masks (like the traitor voice modifier) because it's like the clown mask; you either commit to the bit or you don't.

If you don't want to deal with the translator, then don't be a monkey. Being a monkey has a set of advantages and disadvantages, and the inability to communicate is amongst them.
Translators are a joke of a disadvantage to be honest, they're small items that you can quick equip so they only take 1 slot in your box and that's it. Most people don't even fill their boxes from what I've seen. Giving them the ability to be used as internals really isn't that big of a deal. Something I'd like to see more is a new sprite and a worn sprite for them.
Zamujasa, like always, has the right idea.
If you want to easily communicate with other players, then just don't play a monkey.
I do think there should be an exception for the translator fitting in clown masks.
Could we just make translators worse?

[Image: DbVRkAUW4AAta4M?format=jpg&name=small]
I think my final perspective on this after seeing some discussion is that personally, the disadvantage seems to be that it makes you need to write notes or write custom emotes like a mime under pressure when you need internals on, though in these situations you're often not out there long enough to really do anything. It usually just comes down to flipping the masks around a bunch which at the end of it is more of an annoyance than something that feels like it actually gets in the way of communication.

Me thinking that isn't assuming you could just change that and leave them though. I think in addition to nerfing them in other areas, there could be some other way a monkey's communication is made harder without making them have to flip items around. It's mostly just a user experience issue I take with it, personally. So instead of the double masks thing, maybe monkeys could get an in-built trait where they start yelling and stuff instead of speaking for a little bit at random? I still like the idea of having to mime around and such, and the idea of playing a monkey flipping out while trying to do it sounds pretty funny. Something like this that could affect the monkey at different, more speech heavy moments could result in some fun stuff happening if you ask me.

Basically my view is it'd be nice if some things got shuffled some ways and some in others to make a similar yet less annoying experience, but that's just my take and it's the take of somebody who only joined recently into seeing character monkeys being a thing.
The fact that it's an annoying pain in the butt to swap between them constantly is a feature, not a bug. Like, you being annoyed by having to do it is the point.
nvm I didn't read the replies lol
I'd like to add one more thing to this topic... Personally I think the mask should be able to hold this but...
Let's add this lil factoid I noticed and why we don't have a monkey as a selectable race.

It's like Squid People, Frog People and the such.
They have heaping benefits with almost no downside but in the end, their DOWNSIDE is they aren't considered human...
And you will get attacked by guardbuddies... monkey is safe from this.

The point being that I think the developers (Correct me if I am wrong) wanted to make these STRONG RACES viable by locking them to genetics but given them enough minor annoyances that you do not want to play them at all or have to deal with it.

It is by fact suppose to be a BAD THING to be these races, but I am only seeing that from a design standpoint...
Might be 100% wrong here :P

Still think it's a minor thing to add but if the devs say no cause "it's suppose to be a way to discourage being a monkey" then eh.. we will see!
(03-10-2022, 02:46 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: I specifically didn't add the ability to insert it into masks (like the traitor voice modifier) because it's like the clown mask; you either commit to the bit or you don't.

If you don't want to deal with the translator, then don't be a monkey. Being a monkey has a set of advantages and disadvantages, and the inability to communicate is amongst them.

Well, given I've been 'maining' a monkey for the last couple of months, in the Forever-Captain Coconut, I certainly am committed enough to the bit. Even considering I both love to natter on comms AND am the sort of Captain who is in there with the repair teams (Ahahaha! Imagine repair teams existing... I'm sad now.  sad greater domestic space-bee ) patching that breach in mime-mode every time there's a bomb. So clearly being a tiny ball of mostly-wig and enormous armored shoulders is worth it.

And I certainly do agree that monkies need counterbalances, as everyone in this thread does. I will also grant that obviously the counterbalances in place WORK, because of how few people play monkies (If more now with the ever-increasing number of Cloneconuts).

I just don't especially see why it has to be that PARTICULAR method of counterbalance, end-line. Others are available and possible. Including ones more tailored to the primary misuse case, of monkeys being troublemaking little bastages who trespass everywhere and are hard to catch. And then delight in Sec's frustration due to being unable to question them because of not having a vocal translator.  Argh!