Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Misc. Job Suggestions
Cryogenic Storage Technician
You see a lot of AFK people standing around during high pop hours and I think having a small job dedicated to wrangling these people and putting them in cryogenic storage might start a nice practice of people doing this in general.

• Finds AFK players and brings them to storage
  • Spawns at the Cryogenic Storage unit
  • Unique uniform, job guide 
  • Staff Assistant permissions
  • Job EXP for every person that enters cryogenic storage

Hall Monitor
Janitors are expected to clean and remove littering, but a majority of them just walk around with a mop and stick with swabbing floors. Having another job paired with them that's expected to keep halls unobstructed could be a good way to approach this issue. That and you could honestly do Janitor work with those permissions, 100+ players could use more people to help maintain the station anyways.

• Keeps halls free of debris
  • Blows whistle at unsafe behaviors
  • Janitor permissions
  • Janitor uniform with safety vest, hat, whistle, and job guide
  • Shares Janitor job EXP

Decorator
I've always felt Botany has the tools to beautify the station, but it's overlooked because they're expected to grow weed and make exploding tomatoes. Having a job with the same permissions but tasked with arranging vases, pots, bouquets, wreaths, and pots around the station could be a nice touch.
  • Decorates the station
  • Botany items, permissions, and spawn
  • Access to creating things beyond plant pots to arrange around the station
  • Spawns with a pretty summer hat and many various flowers
  • Could let the Botany storage be their little area, it's usually pretty baren and unused
  • Shares Botany job EXP

All of these jobs are non-vital as heck but it might turn some rusty gears in the community and enhance gameplay, even if just a little bit. If you have any comments, critiques, or ideas, please post them below! Thank you!
Job 1: Love it. Wanted this for a while since EVERYONE LEAVES THE AFK IN OFFICES AND SUCH! I do say they can get more rights or the AI can assist them.
I love how you make the XP gain work.. but I fear it might be exploited.. but eh.. who knows?

Job 2: Not sure on this one... Seems fine, but it feels like it needs more... maybe a few tools to help unobstruct things or put down warning signs to indicate harm.

Job 3: Defintally want this. This is a perfect addition.
With Janitor access, Hall Monitors kind of already have the tools they need to clean and maintain the hallways. Trash bags, access to trash cans and trash disposal chutes, vacuum cleaners to zoop stuff up. I can't think of anything to add to make it unique, it's basically just a Janitor with slightly different job priorities I think.
Have the decorator start with the floor and wall planner and engi access as well as botany, boom.
oh god no don't let there be a job with the floor and wall planner again
Imo we don’t need a specific job to pick up empty toolboxes from the floor, we just need to teach Janitors that there’s more to cleaning than mopping up blood, picking up trash off the floor is also a part of the Janitor lifestyle. Same I see so few janitors actually do this though.
Janitors don't do it because, unlike with cleaning puddles, there's no particular non-annoying way to do the job.

Trash carts have all the sanity-eroding problems that buckets do, and then some. They get shoved away by people going 50mph, and who get stuck in that push mode. Then have people constantly opening it to be sure it isn't full of the organs of your past fifty victims. And you have to drag it across the station to empty it.

The vacuum can put you into instacrit when you try to suck up a pile of soft leaves. And to this day I'm not quite sure when it will decide to beat me to death versus working.

Trash bags are far too tiny for their job. And constantly carrying around a box of trash bags exacerbates the already far too limited space you have. Between having to carry cleaning supplies, Tools, because engineering is a mythical beast and the janitor actually does all the repairs smaller than a macrobomb blast, and maybe some medical supplies because you're constantly finding dying people in maints.
(03-10-2022, 02:35 AM)Love Wrote: Janitors don't do it because, unlike with cleaning puddles, there's no particular non-annoying way to do the job.

Trash carts have all the sanity-eroding problems that buckets do, and then some. They get shoved away by people going 50mph, and who get stuck in that push mode. Then have people constantly opening it to be sure it isn't full of the organs of your past fifty victims.  And you have to drag it across the station to empty it.

The vacuum can put you into instacrit when you try to suck up a pile of soft leaves. And to this day I'm not quite sure when it will decide to beat me to death versus working.

Trash bags are far too tiny for their job. And constantly carrying around a box of trash bags exacerbates the already far too limited space you have. Between having to carry cleaning supplies, Tools, because engineering is a mythical beast and the janitor actually does all the repairs smaller than a macrobomb blast, and maybe some medical supplies because you're constantly finding dying people in maints.

one problem with the cart is that when you start to get real slow when you start putting in things like dead vermin and the like.
(03-10-2022, 02:35 AM)Love Wrote: Janitors don't do it because, unlike with cleaning puddles, there's no particular non-annoying way to do the job.

Trash carts have all the sanity-eroding problems that buckets do, and then some. They get shoved away by people going 50mph, and who get stuck in that push mode. Then have people constantly opening it to be sure it isn't full of the organs of your past fifty victims.  And you have to drag it across the station to empty it.

I had the exact experience you just described today. I decided to use the vacuum on some bullet casings, got instacrit and lost an arm, then as I was heading to medbay someone stole my cart despite it being literally just rubbish.
(03-10-2022, 10:48 AM)Rmeaper Wrote:
(03-10-2022, 02:35 AM)Love Wrote: snip

I had the exact experience you just described today. I decided to use the vacuum on some bullet casings, got instacrit and lost an arm, then as I was heading to medbay someone stole my cart despite it being literally just rubbish.

I’m sorry that happened to you but also this cracked me up