Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Spatial Interdictors slightly reduce hotspot impact
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[feature] [input wanted]

About the PR
Adds a check for spatial interdictors that reduces the impact of hotspot fires and explosions by one 'severity'
Defines an effect for an unused hotspot explosion level `PH_EX_WEAK`

This does not change the audio cues or ground shaking effects, so a strong hotspot will still knock people over, shake your camera, and tell you the ground is violently rumbling.

Why's this needed?
Engineering has few ways to be proactive about hotpsots on Oshan, and this gives them a tool to help reduce impact to the station until it is pinned. This also gives engineers a safer way to move a spicy hotspot, if they're prepared.

Balance-wise, I settled on:
* A high power draw per interdiction, with scaling power draw based on the heat of the hotspot
* Each hotspot shift is an interdiction event, so multiple hotspots in interdictor range use power very quickly
* Limited-mitigation, to ensure engineers still have to interact with the map mechanics
* Gives some benefit to lambda rods for clever engineers, as the size of the field may now be a drawback, not a feature
* On Oshan, it's better to rely on more basic mining materials given the trench, anyway

These mechanics all lean into the theme of the interdictor not reaaally being designed for this, but engineering is deploying everything they have to keep the station together for just a moment longer.

In-game example
Couple of sections sped up between ground shakes, and a bit messy overlay-wise, but a test run showing mitigation in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjLdWL-jhKU

Interested in feedback and suggestions smile

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)glowbold
(*) Oshan's Engineering team can now apply spatial interdictors to reduce the explosive impact of hotspots.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Balance tuning knobs:
* Change the amount of interdictor charge used (could be based on heat level)
* PH_EX_WEAK was unused, so it can be tweaked
* Additional range added between 5600-8000 where even the interdictor can't stop big explosions (PH_EX)

These would proc every time the hotspot moves, so the charge drain is pretty massive per passing hotspot. Right now it does not care about the heat level, so it still draws charge when weak hotspots are in range. You cannot set these up at start of round and expect them to last the whole way through.

I wanted the feeling of  "emergency deploy" that interdictors evoke against random events, and I hope that is captured here smile
Since basicly Oshan is: "Find hotspot, rig 3 of em, power, keep finding em"
There is no real MAINTAINING the engine unless you go the BELT route.

And their only way to deal with hotspots going into the base is by hearing someone say: "HOTSPOT DETECTED"

So I recommend either 3 types of tools. (Wich are either there or can be installed by engineering)

1: A system they have in engineering that can detect hotspots x space amount away from remote sensors wich are deployed on the edges of the station and the center. That way they have an alarm system of one coming and can PREVENT damage insted of REACTING to damage. (Can also be Emagged by Traitors that will drive Engineering crazy with false read outs like VIBE CHECKS from security checkpoints)

2: Stationary big stompers on the edges of the station. That can be activated from a console to stomp away any nearby hotspots. Though doing so will cause a "Quake" across the station similiar to a Mining Explosion. Thus on Oshan we finally get the radio call of "Mining?" when the stompers go off with them asking: "Engineering?"
There will be an obivious cooldown on it so it can't be spammed. (And traitors can Emag it so it either stomps too hard, causing damage to the station when it goes off or it goes off whenever and has to be cut from power to stop stomping)

3: You know the quantum telescope and how THAT works? Think of it like that to detecting hotspots. it would be a chore to make it work.. but something like that would be cool to have someone on engineering to 1st seek out the hotspots "locations" by pinging to them. Then mark them to follow but having to check in on them once in a while on the console.

But I am not talking in a technical sense... just in hypothetically XD
Looks cool, I like this a lot.