Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
i do not think the cryoxadone change is good, or needed
here is a change suggestion that keeps in spirit of magical healing tube while throwing some wrenches into an instant-use pill cure-all.

* cyroxadone now cools you down much more at higher body temperatures, and much, much less at colder body temperatures
* the amount of burn healing scales with the change cyrox induces in body temperature
* brute healing only occurs at low body temperatures
* brute healing scales up moderately as the body nears cyrox’s temperature
* cyro tubes administer cyrox into patients, cooling them down
* the cooler in medical becomes a specially named ‘carbon thermo-regulator’ that *heats up* patients in the tube to a set temperature; medical still gets to tune how aggressive they heal at the cost of power/plasma.
* cyrox acts as an anti-rot agent, in part to keep it the OH SHIT medical solution.
* changes to brute/burn healing are independent from tox/oxy/brain/organ healing changes. those can be wrenched separately.

medical gets to keep a mostly set-and-forget for on-station injuries. it will heal a chunk of burn, then ramp up brute healing. However, it cannot deal well with space/cold burn damage. I think there is an intuition that a medicine that makes you colder doesn’t really help cold burns / frostbite; you have to warm the body up first. If a player doesn’t know the mechanic, the tubes do heal brute quick and the thermo-regulator will slowly heal burn damage. If someone dies inside they’re preserved for med to clone as a backstop.

Instead of making medical take on the complexity micro-managing patient body temp, now players have to manage their own body temperature to ensure tube healing is effective. I would hope it would lead to more interactions with botany/chef on wanting spicy foods, HVAC unit requests, and maybe even using the sauna to recover post cold-tank.

this would also significantly change engineering and medical interactions when dealing with engine heat. now cyrox is really good at recovering from engine fire damage, giving a potential break to mass sulfadine/burn-mender application. i might suggest a new heat stroke disease if a change like this turns out to too easy to chug in the engine/stand in plasmafire for extended periods.

as a pill, it can still work in a pinch as a cure-me, but its effectiveness based on body temp makes it change in what it’s doing the more you rely on it. making a double-cold pill is still good for brute damage, but it kneecaps the amount of burn healing.

i mean, dream big if we’re reworking it anyway, right?

Messages In This Thread
RE: i do not think the cryoxadone change is good, or needed - by glowbold - 03-08-2022, 09:56 AM