Walter Whitman's Mentor App
Rainbow 
Usual character name: Walter Whitman
BYOND username: Eggpielord
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Wet Ants Guy (Eggman#7192)
Recommended by (if applicable): ---
Goon servers you play: Goon 1 bee

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum): After about half a year of passing a interest of becoming  mentor. But becoming concerned I wouldn’t be a good mentor due to not having a complete, in depth knowledge of all the jobs. I decided that I don’t need a portable wiki for a brain, and I finally feel comfortable applying to become a mentor!

My Whole Life Story
When I started playing SS13 in late 2020-early 2021, I started out my first round as a botanist on a disorientating map I still can’t recall. I was disoriented and overwhelmed as many new players tend to be, and in my confusion and a mild panic, shut the window and loaded up something else.
Though the concept and apparent freedom of the game would draw me back to the game over the next few days, and eventually led me to watching some out of date video tutorials that would eventually get me on my feet as a *semi* functional janitor and allowed me to explore the maps.

And in doing so, I was eventually led me to probably the most influential lizard in my SS13 playtime. The secass Kaz Lyndon, who taught me, the master thief “Johnathon Thieving Fleming” how to do pretty much anything gameplay or crime related, thieving was my middle name after all. Despite Kaz not being a mentor, their guidance and attitude towards the game had a lasting impact on how I treat new players and regulars alike. And turned my normally competitive mindset towards one that tries to be more considerate to other people’s rounds. Oh, and getting me into my first ban after I hacked the armory with his guidance  it's okay, he'll be up again before you know it  

I think that a friendly first face is what got me to stick with the game at all.

Experiences With New Players
For me, SS13 has always been about discovery, from discovering the controls for the first time, to how to complete SOL. And a few months ago, after doing about everything there is to do, I stopped discovering things. I knew how to get that item, or go that place. And I got burnt out. So I started teaching new scientists how to do, well, science. And I really enjoyed it, I loved seeing them play with their new knowledge and eventually kill themselves with said knowledge

Some of my favourite interactions;
Teaching a new brand new player who rolled ling how to eat the space diner NPC's as a secoff

Teaching 2 new sci players chemistry, creating a small chemical bomb, going to space diner and saying
"This only has some small fire chems and such. shouldn't bee too dangerous", right before it killed us all in a firey blast

Taking a janitor on Azone adventures, battling a spooker in Ainley, cracking the vault on Mars, braving the Void and dying to the flaming air on Lavamoon

Experience Out Of Game

At the time of writing I have 817 Hours and have played every job at least once, with indepth knowledge of all but engineering and botany. I also often camp out in #SS13-Questions and #imspoiler on the discord

I’ve also since made a public reference sheet for chem groups! (Spoiler Free)

And a rough beginner’s guide that’s still largely in the works. (Best PDF to URL thing I could find for free) 

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I’m ashamed (not really) to say, I had to ask about how many times I’ve been banned, as I had genuinely lost count

12/3/2021 - 6 hours for throwing a grenade at the radio station due to them playing bad music, then attempting to defend my actions by explaining why said music was bad 
28/7/2021 - 1 hour for... unclear? I think it was misusing ahelp
30/7/2021 - 30 minutes for spamming adminwho
22/30/2021 - 6 hours for using an autoclicking to spam points
10/31/2021 - Until Appeal for adding a bunch of floor tiles to an ocean map, killing the server with atmos simulation. Ended up remaining banned for 2 weeks

Thanks for taking the time to read this, or atleast taking the time to skip over it all to read the comments people leave ripping into me.
That's right, I see you Smuggo
(03-06-2022, 05:48 PM)eggpielord Wrote: Teaching 2 new sci players chemistry, creating a small chemical bomb, going to space diner and saying
"This only has some small fire chems and such. shouldn't bee too dangerous", right before it killed us all in a firey blast 

I was one of said new science players!

My experience with Walter has always been positive, and seeing him in a round always lifts my mood. He's great to chat with, and good at explaining things.

The science round in question, Walter taught me and another newsci how chemistry works, and showed us some common recipes. He kept himself in character the entire time, along with myself, and he was a very competent teacher. When we detonated the fire-bomb in the space diner, poor Walter got a hell of a blast with it. Although me and the other sci didn't die in the blast, we did end up dying to due being stranded on the space diner... I think.

Was a bloody great round though, and I've always been grateful to the help extended to me by Walter.

I personally believe him to be a very good choice for mentor, he is competent & an extremely chill guy, well versed in SS13 mechanics. The biggest +1 I can give!
someone i recognize as being consistently helpful around the discord with answering questions, pretty patient and knowledgeable from what ive seen +1
Generally helpfully on discord, and is pretty knowledgeable +1
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be July 7. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep being a friendly and welcoming member of the community!