Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Psychiatrist Office
Let me start off by saying I love playing the psychiatrist/therapist. The RP options are amazing, and I easily have some of the best interactions with people in this position.

However, I've noticed a problem. Most stations lack a private area for the psychiatrist to work. Treatment rooms are available in some, but in Oshan, for example, they lack shutters on the doors. The actually psychiatrist office has a giant window into genetics, another window into maintenance, and no door. Oshan's treatment rooms have shutters only partway along the windows, so there's no actual privacy there either. This makes conducting private sessions difficult, as people will constant walk in and run around, stare from outside, simply interrupt you with random questions because they think you're a medical doctor, or try to steal your tools.

That last part is especially irksome. By the end of my last shift on Oshan, most of my drugs were stolen. Unlike the pharmacy, the psychiatrist office is open to the public. That means at any time, someone can run in and grab your drugs. I realize they are in the form of candy, making them seem more appealing, but that makes it all the more difficult to make sure nobody is stealing them.

As a solution, I'd like to propose adding full privacy shutters to the treatment rooms, and locking the psychiatry office behind permissions. Ideally, not typical medical permissions since most of the theft seems to be committed by other medical personnel for the purpose of their own drug usage. If that's not allowable, the drugs being locked in a secure container would be sufficient. Additionally, steps should be taken to ensure that those in the psychiatry office aren't being made a spectacle of. Could those windows additionally have shutters or even potentially be removed?

I understand it's not a common role people play, but it's one I very much enjoy. It's difficult to play it when I'm constantly worrying about people interrupting my sessions and stealing things from my office though.

Thank you,
Sewing

As someone mentioned, genetics also has to go through the monkeys to get to their office. It's an unfortunate layout.

Obviously not all the problems are easily solved. Fixing the privacy shutters on the treatment rooms and adding a simple door to the psych office would be an easy fix and save a lot of headache though.
The only thing I can think of for the monkey pen placement is it is also relatively close to both the reclaimer and surgery areas for training and biomass purposes, but to be honest I would have flipped genetics and the monkey pen around if I designed Oshan.

As far as the rest of the post I think it would be a good thing to look into for sure.
Having them spawn with a key to lock there doors in addition to permissions would be a good idea as well, maybe spawn with it.