HoS Application - Thunder Dong (Jermaine Wellington)
Usual character name: Jermaine Wellington
BYOND username: Thunder Dong
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Thunder Dong#7464, server nickname: Thunder (Jermaine, Borgo, Beans)
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Morty and Sylvester

Reason for application: I want to be a Head of Security because I have often played rounds where there have been several security officers, but no head. This can lead to a great deal of confusion and power struggle as the other officers clamber over each other trying to give orders and organise each other, which usually doesn't work. Also, having a head of security means there's a direct leader for antagonists or others to interface and roleplay with, and as you'll probably be able to tell from this application, roleplay is my primary focus!

I very much enjoy the leadership positions of the other departments, as my usual favourite job is Research Director, and I think I can transfer a lot of those leadership skills over to the security department.

Security experience (300 word minimum): My experience with security started with detective, as I thought the more independent nature of the job would let me sort of ease into the role, and I had a lot of fun! Sleuthing around and looking for clues is fun, but I quickly found (when I worked up the courage to give it a try) that I much preferred the team-based nature of the security officer.

I spent a lot of time learning from the other officers and detectives, and as such have built up a good knowledge base not just mechanically, but in terms of the culture of security and how crimes differ, and the various sentences, tickets, and fines that go with them. I play security very much as the "good cop", in that I'm potentially a bit more lenient than my peers, but never in a way that would be a detriment to the station or the people on it, more that I enjoy the roleplay potential of a cop who trusts a little too much and the desperate scrambling of the antagonists when they're given a bit more room to talk than they usually might. This isn't to say that crimes go unpunished, or antagonists go free, or anything like that. Just that Jermaine always tries to allow suspects the benefit of the doubt, as I feel this creates much more fun and memorable roleplay than jumping directly into combat or an arrest.

In keeping with the good cop nature, at the start of the shift I will always go for my clone scan and have a little chat with medical, and start my rounds not just to ensure the station is safe, but to have a little bit of interaction and with the rest of the crew so that they both know security is present and care, but it also allows for people to get their own stories and roleplay going, which is something I love about security's ability to go anywhere and interact with anyone.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
From my experience security is a balancing act of both keeping the station safe, but also making sure you're not stamping on somebody's fun. This isn't an easy balancing act by any means, but just make sure that your decisions as an officer make sense narratively, but also also allow for the furthering of the story being told that round. This isn't me encouraging lackluster or lazy security play, definitely get out there and take the initiative! But do ensure you're keeping the flow of the game fun for all involved, as it leads to better rounds and better memories!

Also, make sure your equipment is exactly where you need it to be, which is in easy reach on your belt, and not in your hands! Don't be holding your tools unless you need them at that exact moment less you get mugged for them or otherwise lose them via slippage, etc. Keep them in your belt and pockets, and keep those tabs open so you can easily and quickly retrieve what you need, when you need it.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
My favourite moment of an interaction with a security officer happened recently, wherein I was a changeling medical director who had been caught very early on murdering the chaplain. Nicholas Drake, the head of security, fitted me with a tracking implant after a spot of great roleplay and a back-and-forward between the two of us, and released me on suspicion of murder. Later in the round having removed my implant and being caught masquerading as a monkey by Richard Conway (the detective), he made the decision to execute me, which was absolutely fair and I agree with his decision. However after several attempts and a space diner full of blood, decided instead to manually cremate me alive, but not before I managed to get a last minute DNA sting, turning him into me for the rest of the round. This back and forward and the way he roleplayed the transformation after I died was phenomenal and created a great and fun round for me as an antagonist, as he outwitted and outplayed me at every turn. Our styles of security play definitely differ but I aspire to his responsiveness and leadership skills in coordinating a manhunt.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
As a lone security officer, I find that the lack of team members to balance responsibilities with forces a much more generalist, proactive approach. With multiple security officers, there is room to delegate responsibilities and potentially even to make mistakes, as the rest of your team should compliment any weaknesses you have. Instead, when you are a sole security officer, everything you do has to be tighter, as the stakes are much higher with no backup. Every taser shot has to count, it's harder to track down a suspect when there's only one of you to question witnesses, check for prints, find any other evidence and so on. I find that when I am the only security officer I spend much more time talking to crew and gaining every possible detail I can from them, as this is (in my opinion) the best way to understand the happenings of the station when you have no other primary allies to report back to you.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
It's not plagiarism, it's a remix:

Two vamps diverged in a dark maint hall,
And sorry I could not baton both
And be one officer, long I stalled
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the kudzu growth

Then took the other, just as vexing
And having perhaps the better claim,
As it was bloody and wanted tasing;
Though as for that the skulking there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that evening equally lay
In blood no steps had trodden tracks.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how glare leads on to bite,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Some bar ages and ages hence:
Two vamps diverged in maint halls, and I-
I tased the one less scared of I,
And that has made all the difference.

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
I very much enjoy the idea of getting full cybernetic augmentations, limbs, the works, and pulling a robocop. Never done this, but maybe on a quieter shift it could make for some fun roleplay potential.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):

No bans on record.
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be July 7. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!