Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Kitchen Liquid Dispenser in Donut 3's Kitchen is great.
you can actually get milk and chocolate from botany nowadays. for milk you can get either soybeans or the latte-mutation coffee berries and for chocolate you can get the mocha mutation coffee berries. there was actually a recent pr to make the coffee mutations provide chocolate bars or cream when put in the food processor, too

edit because I realized I didn't actually say anything relevant to the discussion: I can see the devs not wanting the kitchen dispenser to be in every map because of the mint, and I get that. but for a lot of the condiments there's not really other ways to get them in reagent form, which can be really annoying if you wanna go HAM on frosting stuff, so I think both sides of the argument here have valid points

the nuclear option of giving chefs botany access will very quickly result in a lord of the flies-esque situation, so I don't really know what else to do
Oh and gravy forgot that is in there as well, that is an absolute chore to make otherwise.
(03-12-2022, 12:36 PM)stuck_in_void_HELP Wrote: And that's not to mention Chocolate, which i'm not even sure you can get through normal means. The chef salary doesn't allow for large quantities of happy elf and chocolate bars to be purchased from the vending machines at a reliable rate.

With minimal chemistry know-how, you can get unlimited chocolate (and cheese, and ectoplasm, and I guess bread slices). Get one bottle of happy elf, dump it into a beaker with some (stabilized, if you don't want the bartender to hate you for covering the bar in ants) smoke powder, take it to a pod bay or something and welder it. You now have, like, fifty bars of chocolate (or other stuff).

Regarding the continuing topic. If mint is the issue, then get rid of mint. Who cares.

There was talk about adding kitchen dispensers to every map back when they were first introduced. One or two maps got them. But the plan just sort of fizzled out. I don't recall it mostly being a huge crusade against balance, so much as a 'When You Code It' issue.
Get yourself a produce satchel or grab yourself your refrigerator and click drag in blocks of 9 with any amount of urgency ants should be a non issue.
it's been suggested multiple times including by a couple admins, plus a couple PRs about it have been made, one was pushed up last year. it just doesnt gather enough support from folks who want it when compared to the main roadblock is a couple of the vocal regulars that want to die on the 'this thing will make botany irrelevant' hill. in my 8 years of Goon/10 years of SS13 i have still not seen botany asked for food-related chemicals unless they're used in a secret recipe.

ultimately you're better off doing what every other supporter of this exact PR has done - few people care if you use cherry juice or blood or tomato juice. the bars's drink dispenser has just about every RGB option so just find your perfect mix of gross things that make the color you want. use tomato juice, lime juice and blueberry juice to handle your RGB then just scale it all up with coconut milk or down with carbon.
Honestly I question the purpose of it entirely. Why does the chef need to dispense drinks, even from a utility standpoint the bar is adjacent to the kitchen. The chef being able to serve drinks seems like it just takes away from the bartender. The condiments seem useless too, why does the chef need infinite condiments, do condiments even get used?
(03-15-2022, 10:10 AM)Ikea Wrote: Honestly I question the purpose of it entirely. Why does the chef need to dispense drinks, even from a utility standpoint the bar is adjacent to the kitchen. The chef being able to serve drinks seems like it just takes away from the bartender.

The chef isn't serving any drinks. I don't know where you got that idea from. 

Quote: The condiments seem useless too, why does the chef need infinite condiments, do condiments even get used?

Any chef that doesn't just spend the entire round fractal cooking with pizzas and sandwiches uses condiments. Besides, you could make all of your arguments about medicine as well.

Why does medbay need a chem dispenser, since chemistry is right nearby most of the time? Not only that, but the infinite amount of chemicals means doctors get an infinite amount of styptic and silver sulf. Does that not render chemistry useless?

No, it doesn't, because much like the liquid dispenser for the chef, it's simply a QoL addition. Chefs and Doctors will acquire their stuff regardless, the dispenser just makes it easier on everyone involved.
I play chef almost as often as I play clown, any time I see one of the stations with the dispenser I am a much happier chef. It means that I can actually do more than I can on another station. Botany, in my experience on the RP servers, will set aside 2-4 trays for the kitchen.( That’s also not including the madcaps doing spliced veggies and fruits with varying degrees of success and usefulness.)
Since I don’t have to worry about things like refining corn starch to make gravy I can actually make good mashed potatoes without the hassle, soup broths don’t always turn into whatever alcoholic cocktail sounds fun(though to be fair they often do), and I can actually get very inventive with frosting colors and not again have to go bug the bartender to use his drink machines.