(03-05-2022, 07:20 PM)stuck_in_void_HELP Wrote: Examples:

Frightening Thing
Horrid Creature
Terrifying Animal
Horrid Thing

And so on.

liking this one, keeps potential origins of it semi vague
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/7696
I'm first nations and just now realized there is a discussion of Wendigos and gatekeeping our tales from colonizers. If there is anything I learned hearing tales, its that the spirit should be passed to all, and the details are the framework that make it something special and unique to us. To imply that our people would rather keep any depictions of our heritage away from others is simply gatekeeping. You do us an honor by respectfully educating others through our own tales, fables, legends and all manner of story. You continue the spirit.

As such, the representations of the larges aspects of the legend are loosely applied to a placeholder for "Big Bad ______" and THAT is what represents a disrespect to our many cultures. Yes, you can toss a scary critter in an ice place, have mentions of greed and corruption, but you do US no respect or justice by not crafting it with a highly thought out and respectful representation of it. To have a source not weigh in, but LEAD the development for this inclusion.

To not only think of, but involve people who have been sidelined for as long as someone thought to take from us, instead of ask us to share our bounty.

The wendigo is not bad, per say. It it the disrespect to our people and its flagrant EXCLUSION of the originators of this mythos that is bad. Change that as it should be, let us in, and we can improve it.
Or accept that it is a inappropriate way to go about depicting the tales and change it to something else.

There seems to me to be no other option.

(I've been aware of this for almost a decade and remained quiet as I had not garnered the confidence nor did i realize I had others in my corner. I say this now only to bolster my brothers and sisters efforts in being represented in good faith.)
(03-05-2022, 07:51 PM)Cal Wrote:
(03-05-2022, 07:20 PM)stuck_in_void_HELP Wrote: Examples:

Frightening Thing
Horrid Creature
Terrifying Animal
Horrid Thing

And so on.

liking this one, keeps potential origins of it semi vague

Essentially the flock route where if you know what they are , you know it's a Flockbit, Flockdrone, Flockmind.
But you will always read it as Doo-dad, structure and such.
Would actually be funny to see "Whaddadat" or "Blood Thristy thing"