Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
make wizard hats vulnerable to acid again
I'm honestly not sure what the point of removing the single hard counter to wizards in the game was but I genuinely cannot see how it's helped at all.  Inexperienced wizards still die super fast, while experienced wizards are now basically untouchable.
The problem was that you could beat a wizard with one click and no counter play from the wizards side.
It was just dumb that the main way of beating wizards is powergaming acid in drinking glasses. Way too specific.
Removing this strat gives the option of balancing things in other ways.
Mhm. Seems like a bad idea.

Every wizard round there'd be lines at any given chem machine of people just filling glasses with acid.

They knew they didn't have to beat the wizard, they just had to hit him once and he'd be done for.

Sure wizards are still dying. Isn't that a good thing? They're vulnerable to angry mobs or security's stun weaponry. Isn't that intended?

Yeah some are inexperienced, so they don't know how to be robust or avoid capture. That has nothing to do with the Acid glasses.
if I recall, at the time that wizard hats became immune to acid, acid still immediately melted items instead of having the green -> gone period. Given that there is a 8~second period for acided items before they despawn, I feel it may be worth reintroducing acid hatting even on a trial period to see how impactful it is. Wizards on the new acid set would still have a small period to getaway even after being hit with a chemglass, and spare hats are far easier to juggle when you have 8 seconds to swap out an item.
Chemnerds ALWAYS carried acid in a drinking glass every single damn round just in case wizards showed up. All they had to do was toss it and instantly the wizard is fucked. Chemnerds already still keep horrible shit in a drinking glass on them anyway just in case someone touches them.
Yeah honestly wizards are still fucked over too much by chem tbh, gamemodes balanced around one uninteresting game mechanic bad.
(02-28-2022, 06:15 PM)Ikea Wrote: Yeah honestly wizards are still fucked over too much by chem tbh, gamemodes balanced around one uninteresting game mechanic bad.

yeah, we honestly need a complete overhaul of chemistry balance so people can't google "goonstation chem deathmix" and get a way to crit someone in one click
Well its kind of impossible because the code is open for anyone to find the horrible death chems they want if they are big enough nerds(and all chemists are big fucking nerds) unless the recipes were randomized each round and Im pretty sure that would never happen.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Make acid dissolve thingz, but SLOWER. Like add a status effect on em that adds like a acid overlay sprite that will stay on the object for like 6-10 seconds or so before it deletes the object or you were abele to like wash it off water or something.
(03-01-2022, 12:08 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Make acid dissolve thingz, but SLOWER. Like add a status effect on em that adds like a acid overlay sprite that will stay on the object for like 6-10 seconds or so before it deletes the object or you were abele to like wash it off water or something.

Isn't this just what we already have? https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...7d00b8766f

Even with the 5 second delay, this still seems pretty strong. I don't think this would really discourage the meta of carrying acid glasses against wizards.
If we added a thing to wash it off (assuming we don't have one already) it seems like it would just add an additional meta of wizards carrying water bottles or something to wash acid off too.

I think we are better off without the whole acid-glass against wizards thing, personally.
"yeah, we honestly need a complete overhaul of chemistry balance so people can't google "goonstation chem deathmix" and get a way to crit someone in one click" (quote didnt work)

Did you actually do that google? I did and saw results for TG etc but nothing for goonstation.

Also +1 to Kyles suggestion, solid suggestion that. Maybe water washes it off?
Ok looks like yass stole my idea. Or I convinced em to do it for me, I forget which one. But it doesn't look like that contains the "able to wash it off with a bottle of water or something" mechanic.
(03-01-2022, 12:08 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Make acid dissolve thingz, but SLOWER. Like add a status effect on em that adds like a acid overlay sprite that will stay on the object for like 6-10 seconds or so before it deletes the object or you were abele to like wash it off water or something.

I'd say neutralize it with a base like baking soda instead of water. Water can react very violently with acids if you just splash water on them
I feel like chemistry is already enough of an instant-win button and doesn't need any more buffs(or un-nerfs, in this case). Seriously just fill the pitcher with clf3 and 12 different skinpen poisons and you will be just as effective against a wizard as you would be with pre-nerf acid.