Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Giving Genetics Powers a Resource Cost
Best idea super fart with robobutt and high potency beans cause you to macrobomb.
I like the core of this idea Frank. Calories is interesting, building eating food as an actual mechanic for genetics sounds great. But my head is spinning with all the ways balance could be impossible to wrangle with this.

Based on how food works right now. We'd need to add calories to every single main food/reagent type at the very least and then we'd also have to consider all the ways you could possibly make or get food.

To propose an alternative. Before I read the body of the thread I thought you were going to propose that the resource should be "dna stability" where we'd change the current gene stability system from being just a flat number and prob rolls based on it to having your total gene stability fall down as you use active powers and passive powers would lower your max stability.

It would be less interesting that a food calorie based system, but also easier to add because of the lower complexity in terms of integrating with food and reagents.
(03-01-2022, 09:12 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: I like the core of this idea Frank. Calories is interesting, building eating food as an actual mechanic for genetics sounds great. But my head is spinning with all the ways balance could be impossible to wrangle with this.

Based on how food works right now. We'd need to add calories to every single main food/reagent type at the very least and then we'd also have to consider all the ways you could possibly make or get food.

To propose an alternative. Before I read the body of the thread I thought you were going to propose that the resource should be "dna stability" where we'd change the current gene stability  system from being just a flat number and prob rolls based on it to having your total gene stability fall down as you use active powers and passive powers would lower your max stability.

It would be less interesting that a food calorie based system, but also easier to add because of the lower complexity in terms of integrating with food and reagents.

Stabillity sounds like a good idea, until you realize people will hog mutadone to get stabillity back and then re-mutating.

Insted might I recommend an easier fix? Using mutations gives you tox damage.
Passive good ones will increase your toxic vunerability.
Where as active ones will make you tox damage.
Bad mutations will increase your toxin resistance just like it increases your DNA stabillity.
Neutral ones will not cost anything (Aka dwarfism, changing species and such.)

And yes there is a mutation that makes you immune to toxins, but that has the down side that medicine will refuse to work on you, thus a trade off.
non-resource based implementations of the concept:
- double cool-downs, reduce cool-downs by an amount each time you take a bite of something
- powers are amplified whilst you have a food buff and dampened whilst you don’t. Active spends buff duration and passives decrease length
(03-02-2022, 03:05 AM)MetricDuck Wrote: non-resource based implementations of the concept:
- double cool-downs, reduce cool-downs by an amount each time you take a bite of something
- powers are amplified whilst you have a food buff and dampened whilst you don’t. Active spends buff duration and passives decrease length

Hey, hey!

I should say, main motivation is
1. Limit the usefulness of total immunity mutations (Looking at you SMES human) in a way that isn't completely unfair
2. Try to tie it back into an existing system in a way
I would like to see some actual risk involved on becoming overly reliant on the above referred to "total immunity" mutations.