Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Giving Genetics Powers a Resource Cost
An idea: Using Genetics powers could require spending a resource, with attempts to use the power without it failing to work or being weakened. Passive abilities like temperature immunities and Human SMES could have low constant drains while other have a cost per use.

My thought was the resource could be calories obtained from eating food and snacks. Stop by the kitchen when you're running low or carry around some snacks if you're going to be using powers more heavily.
I like this honestly,

chefs on Main need more then just giving out buffs and making geneticists and people who buy mutations to need food would add some much needed station dependence on each other.

The better the food the more you get out of it, but it can mean geneticists can get food from vendors in a pinch.
Reigns in genetics, gives chef a purpose outside of rp, and makes sense in game. What is this Frank some kind of trick?
this sounds really neat but imo it'll need to be clear how much caloric buildup you have available to you at any time. don't wanna walk out in a radstorm just to find your empowered rad resist shorting out sooner than expected!
(02-23-2022, 10:05 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: this sounds really neat but imo it'll need to be clear how much caloric buildup you have available to you at any time. don't wanna walk out in a radstorm just to find your empowered rad resist shorting out sooner than expected!

Maybe Give all passive buffs a aura like heat/cold res.
Mixed on this. Not intuitive for new players and encourages one staff assistant to scarf down an entire Chefs spread faster than they already do
Not keen tbh. We have stability already and also cooldowns. I don't think we need a 3rd limiting factor. Genetics already is pretty easily screwed by itself half the time - people not blindfolding monkeys, new geneticists working entirely on monkeys and using up all the materials whilst creating none etc.

This would kill genetics for me and its in a great place atm.

I mean consider how it could play out:
Antag geneticist
Spend 30 mins getting a good set of genes like empowered hulk and regen.
Give yourself a bunch of negative genes like mute etc to keep stability from nosediving.
Walk out of genetics ready to roll.
Vending machines empty cause someone wanted the discount dans.
Kitchen bombed or something.

Wat do now?
Macrobomb cloner?
Bible fart?

Seems like it could very easily become a mechanic that would just nerf your round through no fault of your own and genetics has more than a few ways that can happen already anyway.

I just dont see what this adds that the other limiting factors already present cant already deal with. If certain gene combos are too OP then look at stability cost. If a particular gene is too spammable then increase cooldown.
The only thought I had is tie the mechanic only to the passives and use the hunger thirst meters for when you need to recharge, but since classic doesn’t use those it kinda feels like an rp server only nerf then which while interesting is also kind of rude to the rp crowd. “Haha rp crowd has to eat and drink to use their smes. What a bunch of chumps!”
(02-24-2022, 02:56 AM)McDougie Wrote: Wat do now?
Macrobomb cloner?
Bible fart?
Bible fart macrobomb cloner to achieve transcendent levels of originality and comedy
(02-24-2022, 02:56 AM)McDougie Wrote: Walk out of genetics ready to roll.

Wat do now?

Matter Eatter
(02-24-2022, 07:29 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 02:56 AM)McDougie Wrote: Walk out of genetics ready to roll.

Wat do now?

Matter Eatter
Having to get a gene just to use your powers is a terrible idea, not including the fact that RNG can easily screw you over and you can not get that gene till 40+ minutes in.
big eater geneticists is a cool concept

obviously things can be buffed elsewhere if it’s implemented as a nerf

points could be capped based on stomach organ ala arcfiend
I know this sounds silly.. but add a parametre where eating to get the "resource" back is slower with normal organs.
But with robotics guts and a robotic stomach it goes MUCH faster and your maximum resource you can hold is increased, but if EMP'd that energy is gone.

This way you not only give the chef more to do.. but also the robotcists. But taking this route has the downside that an EMP on your organs will cause you to lose all that at once. So a trade off.

This way even something like matter eater will get even more use out of it with the robotic parts.

Genetics and Robotcists go hand in hand in making the ULTIMATE LIFE FORM!
Would be fun for RP, Robotcists are no longer just 2nd hand medics to just make cyborg shells for AIs, borging people or the sometimes organ replacement since most doctors can by pass robotics to do so.
Let alone now you have a reason to have 3 robotcists with everyone wanting the upgrade to use their EPIC GENETICS effectively.
(02-26-2022, 06:16 AM)Kotlol Wrote:  Genetics and Robotcists go hand in hand in making the ULTIMATE LIFE FORM!

Harness the true power of the brown note with a robotic butt
(02-26-2022, 07:32 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(02-26-2022, 06:16 AM)Kotlol Wrote:  Genetics and Robotcists go hand in hand in making the ULTIMATE LIFE FORM!

Harness the true power of the brown note with a robotic butt

I think you mean the one where your farts knock over people. Intestinal something I believe :P
But brown note works too. a fancy greater domestic space-bee