Feedback Flourish, Virvatuli, Possibly others? RP Servers.
Exclamation 
Admin: Flourish, Virvatuli

Server: Only RP Servers (that I am aware of)

Date + time: Bans have taken place in the past week.

Synopsis:

As a preamble, I'm writing this post as a third party with the intent to bring to public light concerns and confusion from multiple Goon community members after a recent perma-ban wave of "regular" and respected RP server players. I'm aware Admins are looking into clarifying some of what is going on but I still feel there is a need to make a post about some of these concerns.

Firstly, rule 4 is in severe need of clarification. Like details of what is not allowed not vague descriptions open to interpretation. As people are understanding it right now, it's believed that any romance will get you perma-banned. It's also believed admins are digging through peoples chat logs looking for stuff to ban them on which is harming community morale. That said ERP is normally considered to be things that would get you in trouble with the police if you did in public but what players have said they were perma-banned for does not fall under that. Without seeing the logs ourselves we can't know of course, but that is what people feel right now. Perma-ban, even if it can be appealed, is viewed as excessive when it is reported to be hand holding and kissing and presumably no short term bans before hand as a warning.

Secondly the fact that some of these players had admin-assisted weddings only to be banned by other admins makes players feel there is severe inconsistency in rule interpretation among admins. Some are ok with romance but others are against it sort of thing. Laying out better guidelines for rule 4, such as no romance allowed what-so-ever is needed at this point.

Lastly I'd again ask for rule updates to be made and for admins to try to be on the same page for romance on the roleplay servers. If its banned, its banned. I would also request that perma-bans not be the first ban applied in some situations. Its been a very long time since I've been an admin for games but perma-bans were not something most admins even had access to. It was largely only used for griefers and for any other issues shorter bans were used first and admins would get feed-back from others to determine if things needed to be elevated. I've seen a few ban-messages from players and I don't feel like this has happened. One was given a warning and had it elevated to perma-ban while they were offline after the admin dug through their logs. Whatever they did, that does not seem appropriate.

Extra information:

To the admin Virvatuli spesifically, when you are banning players who are currently in-game please ask them to cryo first instead of just banning. That player was talking to me about something which I was about to encourage they ahelp (a medass apparently made anti-LGBTQ+ comments to them) but they got cut-off mid conversation because of your sudden ban. Also they were playing Security Officer and if she was not in medbay you just created a situation where someone with bad intent now has access to a SecOff ID and gear and that could ruin a round for lots of people. Also, if you forced a suicide command on them (she started taking aggressive oxy damage) that is messed up. Talk to people first please and if they refuse to cryo then do stuff like that. It ruined my round and was very unpleasent to figure out what was happening. It also made a situation where I had to get meta knowledge from the player to figure out what was happening to their character which was awful to deal with.
Let me just preface this by saying: no, the weddings had zero impact on what is going on here, and I am only concerned with rulebreaking behaviour.

I can understand that, coming from a player's perspective and not having access to logs and other player's history via notes, that this comes across as confusing and feels bad. I'm not going to go and publicly post logs or point fingers at any specific players, their bans are their business and not to be discussed in the open like this, that's just unfair and embarrassing to them and frankly I'm not a fan of people trolling the appeals and feedback subforum just looking for the latest juicy gossip to learn about. What I will say is this misconception that rules were not broken and said rule-breakers were *not* warned beforehand about their behaviour is false for the bans that I was involved in.

Regarding your specific message for me, I was not aware of that context and I greatly apologize for that stress it caused you. Bans previously removed said banned character mob from the game, and I'm not sure when that changed but I was unaware that it was no longer a thing. I did not force a suicide or anything on anyone, simply handed out the ban. IAgain, it was not my intention to cause any kind of unpleasantness for you, but being less diligent in follow up I did, and I'm sorry for that.

I get that from your point of view it just looks like the player was unfairly removed from the game, but that is not true in the slightest. When someone has been warned before for the exact same rulebreaking behaviour previously, it is entirely reasonable to simply ban them, and I'm not sure where this idea that We Do Not Do This comes from. As per the rule page, under Things To Keep In Mind (Ingame),

1. Warnings aren't necessarily required. Although in general the admins will do their best to have a discussion about any given conflict before enacting a punishment, there are some cases where communication is either impossible or nonproductive.

Nonproductive includes when players ignore previous, very explicit, warnings.

Regardless, I appreciate that you took the time to post your feedback and I will endeavor to try to make sure any bans that I hand out in the future do not cause undue stress for other players in the round. Players don't deserve to have their gameplay impacted any more than necessary to remove banned players from the round, I regret that your round was.
I understand but I still think making a public post was very needed as a lot of players are now uncomfortable about playing on Goon with the recent ban-wave.

But thank you for your quick response, Virvatuli. It's too bad they changed the in-game banning process since the previous way sounded much better. Hopefully that's a feature that can be added back in the future.
Quote:As a preamble, I'm writing this post as a third party with the intent to bring to public light concerns and confusion from multiple Goon community members after a recent perma-ban wave of "regular" and respected RP server players. I'm aware Admins are looking into clarifying some of what is going on but I still feel there is a need to make a post about some of these concerns.

First and foremost, I want to address the idea that you, an uninvolved third party, airing out another player's dirty laundry was a very unkind thing for you to do. You even went as far as to post identifiable information about how they recently had an in-character wedding with admin assistance.

Quote:Firstly, rule 4 is in severe need of clarification. Like details of what is not allowed not vague descriptions open to interpretation. As people are understanding it right now, it's believed that any romance will get you perma-banned.

As you have already mentioned, clarification on the rule is underway.  We're still in the process of deciding the final wording, but it is being changed to better match with how it is administrated and so that players have an easier time defining what does and does not fall afoul of rule 4's sexual content section. To be clear, romantic RP is not banned. Nobody has or will be banned for the sole reason of having an in character romance.

Quote:It's also believed admins are digging through peoples chat logs looking for stuff to ban them on which is harming community morale.

When someone reports that you are breaking a rule, we do tend to look into whether or not this is a one-off deal or a pattern of behavior. This is a normal part of the process. Nobody is going digging deliberately to find a reason to ban you.

Quote:That said ERP is normally considered to be things that would get you in trouble with the police if you did in public but what players have said they were perma-banned for does not fall under that.

The rule is: "Bigotry and sexual content is a non-negotiable hard 'no'. If you are unsure what sexual content includes: do not refer to sex acts, genitalia, or anything sexual in nature."

There is nothing here about what would get you in trouble with the police if done in public. If it's sexual content, it's not allowed here.

Quote:One was given a warning and had it elevated to perma-ban while they were offline after the admin dug through their logs. Whatever they did, that does not seem appropriate.

If what we thought was a one-off deal turns out to be a pattern of behavior, we may update our assessment of what punishment is appropriate after the fact.