Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CLOSED PR] Removes Forensics from Security, HoS, NTSO, and Inspector PDA's, adds ...
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR

This change removes forensics scanner from:

- Security PDA's
- Head of Security PDA's
- NT-SO PDA's
- Regional Director PDA's
- Inspector PDA's
- NT-SpecOp PDA's

(This is all but captain and detective)

and adding in the new NT-CSI cartridge to the public PDA vending machines. The NT-CSI (or NanoTrasen-Crap Shoot Investigator Cartridge) contains: Forensics Scanner, Reagent Scanner, and a Packet Sniffer.

This causes Sec Officers to make a choice between if they want to keep their security cartridge, or if they want to go more into forensics.

This change does not change the forensics scanner devices that can often be found around security or in the starting gear of Security Assistants, meaning that security forensics is still very possible at round start, just not stored in the PDA of security.

Why's this needed?

The role and niche of detective is very undefined. When Security can do one of the most important parts of the detectives job all from their roundstart PDA, it can make the role feel useless in helping solve crime.

This change defines the detective as THE forensics job on the station, being the person you need to call for forensics. A side effect of this change is also making security assistants more important to solving crime, as their token gets them a forensics scanner by default.

The forensics cart is for security who really want to fill the role of forensics, in which they give up their security cartridge in exchange for the forensics, reagent, and packet scanner. It also allows for non-security private investigators to have a chance at solving crime.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Yellow/Myco
(*)Removes Forensics from Security, HoS, NTSO, and Inspector PDA's.
(*)Adds new NT-CSI forensics cartridge to PDA vending machines

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
From my perspective when it comes to forensics there are tow different game direction forces at play which oppose each other:

- Making forensics available to anyone who could reasonably use it to make it so the system actually gets used at least sometimes since it's a cool and interesting system with a lot of good potential but tends to be used almost never.

- Making detective a more defined job by giving it only to them since currently they are too close to security officers.

I am not sure which of these is more important or if there is some way to resolve this conflict, just giving my thoughts I had when I thought about a similar change before. However, what you propose seems like an ok direction to take this in. Maybe the forensics cartridge could be available in the security equipment vendor or something like that?
Regarding the forensics debate imo the system should be accessible to all of sec but should also be much slower or harder if you aren't a detective or HoS.

Putting one or two cartridges in sectechs sounds like a good compromise for now but it is important to note that security gets at least one forensic scanner somewhere in mainsec and they can use their utility credits to buy more and scanners are much much more useful than the PDA app because you can scan and identify prints/dna.
Dislike. Causes a lot of trouble for Classic Sec, and just causes a lot of inconvenience for RP sec. You, the PRer, are putting holes in your own argument on Discord by saying "Oh, well only one officer has to download it and send it out."

How about instead, more robust ways for the Det to do forensics, and leave the current system alone? Ability to see time of death, murder weapon, footprints others wouldn't see, etc etc...
Personally, I agree with cal. This doesn’t make dets job more relevant in sec as on some maps there are just scanners lying around, and it just takes one person to buy the cart and now they can share the program with all of sec. sharing programs isn’t obscure knowledge either, it happened all the time with the port-a-sci back when the app was useful.

I also agree with cal in that we should just expand upon the det’s forensic tools instead. The current forensics system is pretty barebones and has lots of room for expansion. It would also make the det more important as they would be able to tell more about a crime scene then an officer.
looks neat, would like to have more importance as det or chap and this could alleviate some of that.

maybe people will ask sec assistants to join them in the field more too?
Cal has the right idea with this. A Cartridge can just be sent out to other officers, thats why the Forensic scanner exists already, so it can't be duplicated. Detective already has the Adv. Forensic scanner, that can scan from further away. Can agree that the Det should get more information.
I always used the forensic scanner rather than the PDA anyway but it seems kinda strange to just remove it from sec PDAs.