Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Genetics read only view
I think the change so only authorized IDs can use the genetics console is great and removes the situation of staffies etc running in and going straight for the empowered hulk injector.

However....

If theres one department that can truely screw your round over very easily even by accident its genetics. Yes mutadone exists but Id rather not have to loose my jumpy/adrenaline/etc just cause they decided mutagenic field was also good to activate. Mutadone is not always available either - bottle gets stolen by a feral staffy/monke, doctors are all busy etc. It makes walking into genetics nearly as risky as walking into robotics and many people simply just will avoid it entirely just cause of the potential to have their round ruined without any warning or visibility. You also get the opportunity to ask for genes the geneticist might not realize you want - a lot of the aesthetic genes like horns are skipped over by some geneticists and

The other issue is that it basically makes it impossible to teach genetics unless you are the other geneticist. As a non geneticist I have given many ad-hoc lessons in genetics by being able to see what they see and explaining stuff. Its an area where there are multiple ways of doing the same thing and often with only one good way. An example is splicing, you can either splice directly in scanner or store and splice. The latter removes the stability penalty negation - maybe not a biggy if its just biomass getting sync'd but its a major bit of information if you want to get a full hotbar of powers and not descend into a unstable mutating genetic mess. Its the type of thing a new geneticist learning the ropes would benefit by knowing but its not obvious.

The 3rd situation is somewhat niche and unlikely but it also means only people with a handheld gene scanner or console access can see stability. This is far more likely to be an issue only if you are a geneticist yourself but again that comes back to the teaching point. Atleast being able to grab the geneticist who can no longer produce anything recognizable as speech and throw them into the scanner and confirm yup your at 30 stability your fucked would be helpful (even if they cant fix it if they atleast know low stability was the issue so they know for next time).

I suggest that using a gene console without a valid ID gives a read only view - the same view you used to get when in scanner. You cant interact with the console but still see whats happening.

This enables teaching still and also allows you to see if mutagenic field or radioactive pairs start getting unlocked whilst retaining the benefit of the ID lock change.

Overall however the change is good and im hoping a read only view would be easy to implement given it is/was? already a feature.
We actually pondered whether to do this or not and the main issue is whether it would be immediately obvious just from the yellow eye symbol that the UI is uninteractable. It'd suck if it only confused people and they thought it a bug that they can't interact with the console. I think some sort of a visual change to the UI to present this more clearly might be necessary but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it. But yeah I think a read only view is good.
Maybe you could fire out a little message or something into the chat text? Something like "you need genetics ID access to use this console". For those intent on trying to use it they should spot it as the text output is where most things happen.

Agree a more visual prompt would be better but its hard to think of a change that would be obvious to someone unfamiliar with the UI in the first place.

Would it be possible to a bit of bold red text or something that appears on the genetics screen itself if your not authenticated?

Not sure whats feasible to implement.
If this was added, I would not mind if on RP, sec was still able to use the computer so they can remove some mutations that can be annoying to deal with, IE natural anti toxins with any other strong mutations.

Opps, looks like i was out of the loop, I did not know this was already put into the game.
At the cost of my sanity added in
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...3d28da262e
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...003d932544
See here for how it looks in action:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/8...MQgIEO.mp4
and a static image because myBB can't embed videos:
[Image: unknown.png]
Thank you Pali.
Nice! Great stuff, thanks Pali!
Ummm not 100% sure its related but the buy more materials $ button seems to be unclickable? Tried restarting client but no luck.