HoS/NTSO App, Henry Greene (RP)
Usual character name: Henry Greene
BYOND username: 0nemore
Discord username (if you are on our discord): 0nemore#9868
Recommended by (if applicable): Me.
Goon servers you play: RP 3&4, I bounce around. Don't really target any pop but 30 is comfy.

Reason for application: 
      The presence of HoS and NTSO players on RP is rather sparse, especially since if you look at the number of approved whitelists is around 1-2 a month. I am mainly a Sec player on Goon I thought to give this a go, the dynamic of a security team improves drastically when a HoS is active, and it opens up new RP experiences, I also enjoy teaching new seccies once in a while, and the HoS's words tend to carry more weight. It's also great to have a member of command in security as it's often missing due to HoS being a whitelisted role. Also I want to say "I AM THE LAW" without blowing up. HoS also adds some accountability to the sec team.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I have a fair bit of experience in security I'd say, but I'll stick to things from Goon. Goon is weird in the way that it has made me enjoy playing security, I don't often play security in other servers, Goon is the sole exception. Be it interactions with crew or antagonists, I've had a positive experience with security (on both sides). However, the most enjoyable shifts have nearly all had a HoS to lead security.

I've done many different things while a part of the sec team, be it forensics, front desk, manhunts, interrogations, etc. And would say I've gotten pretty good at it (When my ping isn't 500ms), and I am always glad to teach people who would care to learn, especially forensics which I am rather proficient in.

My approach as a security officer has always been casual, as much as possible, RP-focused unless it's a large threat (someone is killing someone, breaking into sec, etc.) I am lenient with brig time and punishments as much as possible, however, maybe a five-time attempted murderer isn't someone y 'want out in the station. I am also known to be thorough with forensics and investigations, (PDA tracking, finding people who swap gloves, etc.) Most importantly, I always keep the communication going between me and my fellow officers, as it is very important to keep everyone in the loop, and knowledgeable of the current situations onboard the station.

I have also, always been willing to teach new security members the ins and outs of the department. How to get your gear, how to approach suspects, how to use secmate, computers, and how the forensics system works. And as always, how to keep the station from falling into chaos. When I just started playing security, I received basic guidance from other officers which helped me learn the role quickly and issue-free.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Ten cool tips:

1. You don't need to be robust to play security, but it certainly helps.
    2. Don't give up just because the suspect was wearing gloves, check doors inside of departments etc, this can often help you narrow down what job they work.
    3. Partial prints can be strung together with a little brainpower.
    4. RP is important! Especially if they reciprocate.
    5. Don't try to do other departments jobs, unless the department is empty, in which case good luck.
    6. Don't take security too seriously, yes it's RP but don't get angry over spessgame.
    7. Try not to meta, just because this one character is often an antag doesn't mean you should pick on em'
    8. Be nice to the antags, don't ruin their round or anyone elses.
    9. Ticket everyone for everything.
    10. Lastly but most importantly, COMMUNICATE, helps peeps know if you're alive, and helps the sec team stay organized.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    I really dislike how donut 3 never has enough forensic scanners, also donut should have more donuts for security. I also wish I could get robust donuts in some way other than using a sec token, maybe order it from cargo or something.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    When I'm the only sec officer, I'll usually carry a toolset with me, and try to avoid brigging people, since I can't keep the peace if I have to watch crimers in their cells. I also tend to talk more on the common channel since I have no chatter on security to keep up with, I however prefer playing with a sec team more than I do alone, except when I play det that once in a while.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    Chef's exotic needs
    Blood is flooding the station
    No pets surviving
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    Not really a gimmick but we did have a donut stand once.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
    None at all.

I've made a previous application which is here! https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=15498 (Got dunked for advertising, my fault, I have also improved on the criticisms given.) Also I think I got formatting right this time!
Played a good amount of shifts with Greene now, and they've been pretty consistently good within the realm of security.  I haven't seen them give any unfair punishments or anything else of the like.  They are extremely good on security comms, something that is vital for the success of any security team.  Any shift that I'm in with them has noticeably more radio chatter and communication, which results in a more cohesive and reliable team.  I have always seen them use the appropriate amount of force for a given scenario, they know their rights from wrongs, and escalate things properly, while treating antagonists fairly and keeping it fun for as many people as possible. 

I think they are a good fit for HoS, +1.
no rec either way; you do have a tendency to push docs out of their lane by grabbing the MedU/pmed/nanomed remotes and treating people yourself
+1 for me.

I haven't played all that much Sec, but I have been playing more, and in every round I have played where Henry Greene is in there, he's been the steady rock for the Sec team and myself, that is always friendly, supportive, communicative and cool-headed with both Security and antags. They're absolutely someone I consider a great role model in my newbie Sec career. Maybe my primary one. And I really can't imagine higher praise for a HoS than being someone for Sec to strive to emulate.

The grabbing of medical supplies, beyond, say a medkit/healthscanner upgrades/one or two autoinjectors to get people alive to medbay IS a thing I wish 0nemore would do less. Nabbing the far too rare spare menders that prevent any transferring doctors from being effective in until cargo makes money (if ever) or miners find gold (if ever) is probably not something that should be done, especially. Still, it's kind of a small issue. Certainly not anything that gets close to making me remove my +1 for a SecOff of 0ne's quality.
Hey there, thanks for the replies! I do however want to clear something up about the medical supplies thing. I have never taken automenders from medical, the only medical items I have as apart of my loadout are 2 auto injectors, a medical PDA (cartyparty) and the robust donut box. I have also not used the portanano for anything but situations where medical could not reach me (stuck in space). However I have been sending people to medbay using the portamed which I do not believe is pushing into the medical lane.
I've been gone for a bit! its been a couple of weeks since i last played security, but! from my experience when i last played security with Henry, they did great with handling situations calmly and in a polite manor, often trying to talk first, also fair with the treatment of crew and antags alike, Henry also communicate well and when there is no HoS, Henry does a good job leading security.

+1
im going to go ahead and -1 this fully. you're good to have on the team as sec, but my interactions with you in med have been less than good despite feedback IC and here to stop shoving past other players in med to do everything on your own. this happened as recently as yesterday.
with particular nuance to the nanomed thing, I am thinking specifically of a round where I was at sec's door after a radstorm, announced I was there, was visible from the brig, and watched as you used your PDA to teleport the nanomed and portamedbay away from me into the brig in order to doctor three people yourself.
hos has to be aware of what they do and dont run, and medbay isnt their department.
(03-20-2022, 12:26 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: im going to go ahead and -1 this fully. you're good to have on the team as sec, but my interactions with you in med have been less than good despite feedback IC and here to stop shoving past other players in med to do everything on your own. this happened as recently as yesterday.
with particular nuance to the nanomed thing, I am thinking specifically of a round where I was at sec's door after a radstorm, announced I was there, was visible from the brig, and watched as you used your PDA to teleport the nanomed and portamedbay away from me into the brig in order to doctor three people yourself.
hos has to be aware of what they do and dont run, and medbay isnt their department.

Don't think that was me, haven't been stuck in brig during a radstorm for a few days, also don't know how someone is supposed to open the door for a doc when there's a radstorm?
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be July 7. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!