Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
[MERGED PR] AI Law Rack - Replaces AI Upload
(02-19-2022, 09:14 AM)amylizzle Wrote: *Borgs created by the roboticists would be expected to default to the station AI's law rack - how do we handle this when multiple racks can exist?
- Solution: maybe the roboticists have a tool that links un-associated borgs to AI Law Racks?

Personally think all borgs should default to station law rack period, would be the most sane and intuitive solution. Also good job with the ui I like it a lot.

Also re: different racks, I think the default rack being able to detect other racks and tell you which silicons are part of that rack would be good. Itd allow people to go oh okay the AI isnt/there isnt one self antagging its just these silicons that arent following the same laws.
(02-28-2022, 06:17 PM)Ikea Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 09:14 AM)amylizzle Wrote: *Borgs created by the roboticists would be expected to default to the station AI's law rack - how do we handle this when multiple racks can exist?
- Solution: maybe the roboticists have a tool that links un-associated borgs to AI Law Racks?

Personally think all borgs should default to station law rack period, would be the most sane and intuitive solution. Also good job with the ui I like it a lot.

Also re: different racks, I think the default rack being able to detect other racks and tell you which silicons are part of that rack would be good. Itd allow people to go oh okay the AI isnt/there isnt one self antagging its just these silicons that arent following the same laws.

Yes, that is already the case. I've added the tool anyway because there are situations where you will want to change a borg's association (as traitor for example), but by default the first rack built get Asimov laws and becomes the default rack. If the default rack is destroyed, the next rack built becomes the default, and any unconnected non-emagged borgs are reconnected to it.

This does present a new traitor strategy - get set up to build a new law rack and put your evil laws in it, destroy the default rack and then build yours! Suddenly, all the borgs on the station are following your laws.

As for silicons recognising each other as following different laws, I agree. I was thinking of having something like an in-built sec-hud, that gives borgs following different laws to you an icon. Also, to incentivise capture over kill, opening up a borg and prodding it with the linker tool will reveal where it's connected rack is.
Even though this went through and got merged, I am gonna point out that the old system worked fine and I think this just adds a unneeded layer of complexity. Cause now rouging the ai is *atleast* a 40 second process in which you cannot be spotted by anyone, along with making reseting a nerdy AI hell. (cause before you just needed to touch the upload with the reset, and now you need to stand still for a while which a nerdy Ai will just teleport you out of the room with. The additional law racks are just gonna be a headache for everyone to deal with and it's going to lead to less people ahelping shitters cause the borgs might be on non default laws on a different rack. Basically, If it aint broke dont fix it.
i mean building more racks is an entire Process requiring mechanics, and mats, and a linker
[Image: Untitled418_20220318225708.png]
I think it was mostly just to add something new and fun to the AI upload system because the old way has been the same basically since the game was first made.
It might be fun if we give it a chance. Though I do agree rogue nerd AIs will completely destroy anyone that has to spend longer than 20 seconds in the upload to reset the laws.
My take on this PR since it has been merge.

First, as a borg each time a law is removed and then inserted, you get a law update message. I think there should be a button on the AI rack that initializes the laws, finally updating the AI. I say this also because moving from Asimov to NanoRobo laws means you have to replace all 1-3 laws, and well, things can go to shit pretty easily from that.

Next is that the laws default to slots 1-3, and you cannot easy access put in place a law 0 anymore. This is sort of a good and bad thing considering how easy it is to actually change laws, but I do have a gripe about actually changing the laws, and that is...

It takes so damn long to actually remove laws. You can still put in a freeform that states it overrides laws 1-3, and you can't just upload a law 0 that overrides it now but if the freeform is already in place because the clown put "Pepsicola is now King and Discount Dan is a big fat loser." It takes like 20-30s to remove the damn law if its put in place properly. Removing takes about 3s? Unscrewing is like 10s, and unwelding is 10s? Give or take some time on that? If you want to remove that freeform, rogue the AI, and then put it back in and secure it you're stuck in the upload for a solid minute doing AI rack shenanigans.

You can also print AI modules from the robotics fab, but you can't print a freeform. Once the freeform is gone it seems its gone forever, so i'm going to toss out some ideas.

First, Syndicate Omnitool should have some use in this. Using the Syndicate Omnitool to unscrew and unweld should be fast, way faster than normal, like 75% faster.
Second, using an Emag on an asimov board should create a Freeform module, or something there of.
Third and finally, the AI linker is a neat thing. You can use it to switch silicons from one law rack to another. Problem with it is a personnel problem, literally, its a person to person thing. You have to walk up to each active borg and set them to the new law rack, after popping their top with a head ID and then crowbarring open their chest and then getting their head exposed. It honestly should work off of the robotics console, or a different tab from the AI rack or something.

Opinions?
(03-18-2022, 10:39 PM)RGBDeadSilent Wrote: First, as a borg each time a law is removed and then inserted, you get a law update message. I think there should be a button on the AI rack that initializes the laws, finally updating the AI. I say this also because moving from Asimov to NanoRobo laws means you have to replace all 1-3 laws, and well, things can go to shit pretty easily from that.

I would actually prefer there not be an 'initialize' button, because people would forget to press it. Or fail to do so in the heat of the moment. Or not know to press it, adding additional newbie-trap value.

But I do think we need to do something about spam control. We had three ion storms, and I felt awful that I had to already spam the silicons just to fix them. Three law updates for every storm. Ouch. At some point as silicon your eyes glaze over and you just stop paying proper attention, and hate your artificial life.

Instead of an initialize button, maybe a 'Pause upload' button. An opt-out instead of a required booton. That will prevent the law rack from updating until the button is pressed. To let you screw around with the laws, then click the button off, and let the system update. For those times when you're doing mass law surgery like full default replacements.

I guess in either case, with either button, it would be nice if the rack made a computer beep or something when the upload successfully happened.
The main issue is that anything players aren't forced to do they will probably not bother to do or forget to do.
A traitor might go to the effort of Pausing Upload to avoid detection but the captain resetting the rules would likely happily jam in and out six modules.
Maybe have a button to immediately apply changes, and otherwise just have the rack check every minute or so for changes? You could force it in an emergency situation where silicons are actively causing chaos and you need a change right now, but making some smaller changes and forgetting to manually apply them before you leave will inconvenience you for a grand total of half a minute or whatever.
So just to clarify a little on this: I actually intended there to be a moment where the AI could act on its reduced lawset while you were messing with it.
If you take out Asimov 1 while doing maintenance on the AI, it was intended that during that time, the AI could hurt people if it chose to. Just to encourage some time pressure & thoughtfulness when messing with the AI.
I haven't played with this yet, but can wraiths still rogue the AI?
(03-19-2022, 11:50 AM)Mouse Wrote: I haven't played with this yet, but can wraiths still rogue the AI?

Yes, you can possess the AI law modules just like the old circuits. You can't weld/screw them in, but you can insert them.
Wraith roguing was removed a month ago, should probably be added back for rack.
Please make it so these things cannot be built on merchant shuttles or the listening post.