Apple Crumpets Mentor App
Star 
Usual character name: Apple Crumpets
BYOND username: Victoriae
Discord username (if you are on our discord): N/A
Recommended by (if applicable): Flourish
Goon servers you play: Goon1/Heisenbee  bee

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
After being prodded by Flourish I thought: Why me? Why would I fit? I dug around some old posts and found this thread. What I took from here is that the three qualities looked for in a mentor are maturity, knowledge, and trust. Enough maturity to take mentorhelps properly/to not belittle or be rude; enough knowledge of the game to be able to assist others, ideally some expertise in a field even; enough trust so you won't abuse information gained in mentorhelp. But really, mentors act as a helpful face for new players. A guiding hand. A voice in the head that tells you how to move a crate when you barricade yourself stuck as nukie commander. It always feels weird to me saying "I have these traits", so I will let the community vouch for me or not. [I'm implying I have these traits and am looking for positive confirmation of it lol sorry A Scientist Salarian ]

As to my reasons to wanting to be a mentor. This game is fantastic, magical at times. But it's complex, in-depth. New players end up smashing objects together like rocks. I want to give back to this game somehow. I can't code or draw, but I can teach. I can help pass on knowledge. I can arm new players with foundational knowledge so they can properly explore the game. And there are a lot of new players. It's not uncommon now to see a hundred players with no mentors, no HoS, and no admins. Sea of blue. With serverpop running at a high mentors are, I assume, needed now more than ever. Having a direct, uninterruptible method of communication would make it easier for me to help (contrast with the time I tried teaching as a French-Swedish chef!). Learning even just a piece of a bigger topic can get players invested in wanting to learn more and open up more areas of the game (the only reason I started learning chems was because I tried to make a weed-flamer as a botanist!). So I would like to help new players learn. I have already helped new players learn, may as well have better tools for doing it. And in all honesty I would rather roam as mentormouse than sit dead Boogiebot . And I'm gonna dab on crime as HoS (just try and stop me!! I'm a cop you idiot! ). [I hope I have conveyed how much I want to help people argh]

I can recount a few experiences in-game of teaching and being taught (not the 'c-saber to the face' kind either! it's okay, he'll be up again before you know it ). First was a man who walked into the bar and asked where janitorial was. Being a janitor, I showed him the cubbyhole, taught him how to put on his new janitor shirt properly, taught him some hotkeys, gave him a run-through of how to clean, and corrected some basic mistakes he was making. It feels good to see a player go from accidentally undressing to doing the basics of a new job. Having someone be patient with you is so very helpful. I once spent 10-15 minutes trying to re-limb a borg as he patiently waited. No complaining nor scolding from him, just my many apologies for taking so long. To which I am thankful. A safe space to learn. Another fun round was chilling in botany as captain and giving a new player pointers. Showed him how to make coffee, how to use a sub. Using this new insight he went on an adventure with the sub, coming back later with a gift for me! Forming a connection like that is so very rewarding. [Pretend rewarding is in italics]

I've been playing a while, longer than I've been 'Apple Crumpets'. I've learnt a great deal, and will briefly cover what fields I could help with as a mentor: Medical and doctoring I know a little too much about (ask me how much 5u charcoal heals, I can't forget Dr. Acula ), botanist (ever gibbed a killbot with a pile of bananas?), janitor (future HoS - Head of Sanitation!), security (future HoS? Who knows?), engine (oh god where do the pipes lead), antagonists  spider and most other jobs to a basic level. Just don't ask me about QM (how do I make money?? Mysterious happenings! ) or rancher! Outside the game I can point people to the code on github for advanced things (I don't really know if mentors do this ever?). I can also answer things about mapping, /areas (why isn't the generator connecting to the APC?!? Why is my door called Space??), variables and such (one day I will finish my map! In a few years...). [I have played this game too much, and will play it a lot more - what I have come to realize is how the game is so much more about the community, the community is the true heart of the game, probably should write a paragraph on it but oh well]

That's it. Thanks a bunch,

Apple

[Image: L5gYo7n.png]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None.

[Note - never use italics cause it will wipe what you have typed god why]
I will happily +1 Flourish's rec. I find Victoriae to be a very evenhanded and helpfully knowledgeable when encountered ingame (many rounds as secoff if I recall correctly), which are the two traits I look for most in evaluating mentors/HoS.
It's always a pleasure seeing Apple around the station. They're kind and welcoming towards others, including newer players. They're also very reasonable (aka the aforementioned maturity); they treat people fairly and acknowledge their mistakes when they happen. They're also just a very fun player in general. I'd love to see them as a mentor!

(Awesome app as well!)
moo

+1
Apple is great and very nice +1
Yes absolutely, Apple is a wonderful player and I've seen them already mentoring people on plenty of occasions. Access to more tools to allow them to continue doing the good that they do sounds like a great idea to me!
Yes, Apple is a good player.