HoS app - Danger Noodle (Sophie Crow)
Usual character name: Sophie Crow, Sapling (Cyborg)
BYOND username: Danger Noodles
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Danger Noodle#9588
Recommended by (if applicable): A couple people have in the past but it was so long ago that I can't find it.
Goon servers you play: More populated RP server and Heisenbee from time to time.

Reason for application: Ever since I started playing security I found it a fun and rewarding experience. I really enjoy teaching new players the basics of security and proper sec etiquette and as a HoS I would have more tools to make that process easier and smoother.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I started playing proper security I want to say a couple months ago but before that I mostly played security as a brobocop cyborg focused on helping security and making their life easier by noting things down and the like. Back then security assistants weren't a thing so looking back at it this was a great place to start.

I feel as if the lack of weapons shaped my current playstyle. I got to watch officers interact with crew and criminals, learned brig times, what overpowering antagonists looks like and why that isn't great but most importantly I learned that talking is an officer's most powerful tool.

As a security officer I start my round by greeting my team if they’re present, gearing up, tidying up sec, doing that all over again when someone messes with the table and getting a clone scan. If nothing is going on I’ll man the front desk and talk on the radio. If someone else wants to do it I’ll head out on patrol or sit in the arrivals checkpoint and greet latejoiners.

Whenever I am confronted with something I try to deescalate it to the best of my abilities and I try to be as fair as possible when dealing with criminals or antags. If they are willing to stop and talk they’ll get a lower sentence and unless it’s their second or third crime won’t be searched with obvious exceptions. Everyone is here to have a nice time afterall.

I really dislike it when officers dogpile on antagonists or criminals that haven’t done anything all that bad and remove all their agency in a situation because it’s not fun for the security players or the antagonist and makes the round worse as a whole because antags are it’s driving force sadly this can be a pretty common sight especially with newer players who don’t have great judgement or self restraint and I always attempt to teach the officers why it’s bad or make the situation easier to deal with in other ways.

In my opinion the most important thing an officer can do to help the team is keep in touch on the radio. It doesn’t have to be complex or all that informative. Even just a „Copy that!” will suffice. Saying why someone is set to arrest or why they’re brigged helps avoid confusion and telling your fellow officers your status or location reassures the team that you’re okay and listening.

I
know I’m not perfect and that I can make mistakes but I want to learn from them and if you find some problems with me or my playstyle please point them out.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
  • Pairs are good, squads less so.
Having a buddy is great! You have someone you can talk to, get a second opinion from, eat donuts with but the biggest strength of a pair is the fact that two people are harder to take down. But there are limits in my opinion 3 is stretching it and anything above that is detrimental. A squad of 4 or higher makes antags have a way harder time if you find one, significantly increases the chances of friendly fire or that help intent sprint shuffle and decreases station coverage quite a bit.
  • Don’t have your weapon out if it’s not necessary.
Your weapons are among some of the best in the game and if you slip or someone disarms you and gets lucky because you were just standing around doing nothing with it you have lost one of the key parts of your kit and will now need to chase that person for possibly the entire game and if this happens during a chase good luck trying to arrest the original criminal you were chasing.
  • Try to have fun.
It’s pretty obvious, I know but a lot of players can take the game too seriously or play security in long sprees which often drains the fun out of being an officer as you deal with the same type of annoying minor crime, self antags and people calling you mean things. If you’re not having fun as sec consider going to cryo or taking a more reserved job as the desk officer. Maybe swap to something else for a couple rounds. I find that clown (for those who like it), doctor and botanist are good jobs to chill out with. After a pretty long break I have started enjoying the game a ton more and it feels fresh again.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
This is a pretty recent story but I think it's really funny either way. Halfway through the round the AI got an ion storm law to make the crew go to centcomm but the law got reset a couple minutes after it got it. About 15 minutes later the AI says that a geneticist is in it's upload so I go there expecting to see someone tampering with the laws but no, I saw a mildly aggresive drunk geneticist complaining to the AI about his lower wage and how it turned off his power so he can't work genetics anymore. I tried to explain to him that the AI didn't do that and that the shuttle is coming soon but in his alcohol fueled state he did not listen to my pleas.
What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
Bee
Buzz
Happy  Sleeping bee
What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

Draw a picture!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None
My Experiences with Noodle have been Positive! when playing security i see them trying to keep things fair for everyone! and often try to talk first and use force only if needed! and i also remember rounds where Noodle helped teach new security the basics! and helped them learn different key things! from my experience! i feel Noodle would make a good Hos
+1
I've had a fair few shifts with Danger Noodle, both when they played Computron almost exclusively, and now that they are playing mostly Sophie Crow.
Overall my thoughts of them are quite positive. They often keep records, communicate well, discuss with the team and are generally pleasant to be around.
They seem to care alot about maximizing the fun of everybody, which is an important aspect of being HoS in my opinion. I trust them not to steamroll antags and to instead approach them with words, first and foremost, and letting the bad guy escalate before confronting them.
I've given them a hos tryout approximately two months ago, and while there wasn't a whole lot to do that particular shift, they handled themselves quite nicely.
The only thing i'd like to see a bit more of is to see you take the lead from time to time. You already work with the team to delegate tasks, and generally try not to step on people's toes, i'd simply like to see how you handle the duty of making sure everyone on the team has something to do and no one is feeling left out.
+1
Really enjoy seeing Sophie in the security team. Got a fair number of shifts as hos, security officer and ntso with her and I know I'll have a reliable coworker that will stay comunicative, handle the interactions with the crew and antagonists respectfully, giving the second time to breath and prepare their gimmicks. It will be really interesting seeing her on the role leading, and more importantly, organizing the security team, facing the IC and OOC responsabilities it comes with the hos role
I remember them teaching me some of the basics of sec when I was testing the waters with the secass role months ago, felt very welcoming. Shadowed them and admired watching them work that shift, regularly engaging with an antag's inner primal alien gimmick while keeping tabs on everyone with comms throughout the round.
Been many rounds since, and I cannot recall seeing them losing their temper or abusing their security status. They've got the right attitude and mindset for HoS, would love to see their full potential play out.
+1
I've observed Sophie a bit and they seem like chill and competent sec. They communicate well, are helpful to others, and have a good sense of fun. Would definitely like to see them as a HoS!
I think Sophie is a really good bean, just a cool player to be around and to play with. Definitely +1 from me for HoSophie heh.
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a HoS. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our HoS Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.