Jordan Glen - HOS Application
Usual character name:  Jordan Glen (Used to be Andrew Logan)
BYOND username:  alogan19

Discord username:  Andrew Logan#3615

Recommended by (if applicable):  n/a

Goon servers you play:  I've played on all except 2 (Bombini)

Reason for application:
I posted a HOS application around May last year. I had several moments where I reacted badly to some well thought out critiques. I've reflected on them and my biggest flaw looking back was I emotionally put myself into it too much. It remains a weakness but one I am aware of and working on.

HOS can help keep the rounds fair not just for the players but also back up the newer sec players when they get "SHITSEC SHITSEC" when they've really done nothing to deserve it. I'd like to cover that gap where newer Captains can be a little....yikes in the punishments they distribute and coach/guide the sec team into how to enjoy the game fully without resorting to murder murder murder the antag in the round.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I joined in September 2020 when I found a YouTube review on SS13. I've often done RP on other gaming communities so I focused on the RP server. Security ends up playing three roles depending on the round.

- Zen Master
When a player has found an antag early on or there is a disagreement that has arisen as a result of some blood filled struggle between two players. (Someone tried stealing medbay supplies or started nicking items from cargo) - Security need to model a level of restraint when it comes to what happens next. This involves calming down the affected parties and making liberal use of the ticketing feature on the PDA to inspire comedy in a tense moment. I'd add that it also means people can be pretty harsh/upset - Looking for ways to defuse tension also.

- Inquisitor
There are dangers humanity (+ other friendly NT affiliated humanoids) will face in space. To determine who is a danger to life and company property, whilst being armed with a glorious xeno bashing baton, You need to decide not how to use it but when to use it. Choosing targets carefully for justice and dispensing the correct amount. Whilst also protecting company property so you don't get fired at the end of the shift. Inquisitors must also be able to prioritise the larger threats, you could chase the clown throwing cream pies or focus on the evil blood sucker assassinating crew whilst a Syndicate traitor destroys the engine. The ability to remain calm will help.

- Judge Dread - Judge Judy
Then there is that time when you need to walk into a situation, declare I AM THE LAW and ruthlessly curb stomp a trouble maker until they learn submission. < This is what I wrote on my last app plus more, I'd like to change this.

In the game dynamics of a round, the goal is for people to have fun. Conflict and positive drama can lead to that but if someone (especially antags) is being rail roaded into execution just for exsisting, that's not so good. You have to be able to judge how the round is going, found a newer traitor with a C-sabre and an agent card 5 minutes in because he was getting the items from PDA? Let him go with a warning, if he starts rampaging and killing sure but taking advantage of people to punish them to win is not a good dynamic. Also you need to know when to put your foot down and say no. Recently I had a regional director who pretty much gave himself AA and became super sec, he brigged a player for 15 minutes while he "interrogated" on a bit of a power trip. I stepped in, tried diplomacy, tried chain of command, then resorted to releasing the prisoner myself as it was a really bad situation they were in.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?
You will be called shit sec, you will receive verbal abuse, you can tell the difference between players who are abusive for the sake of it and maybe someone is just emotionally upset and let the words go right over you. Listening to others who are giving advice and counsel. Asking for help and even spending time watching and learning from the other guys on the team

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
I was Captain at the time. I was taken hostage by 3 antags at the radio station where they did a game show, they asked lore questions and if I get them wrong, zappy zappy. Watching security trying to mount a rescue was impressive but more impressive was the effort the antags went to, it was brilliant interaction.

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
An easier way to set status on players in front of you, I know there is a hand held tool to set status but it often goes missing or one person takes it. By the time you log into SecMate, find their record change it, log out, restart, take back your ID, it adds to the time interruption for the player. Perhaps a simple PDA app would help where you are able to TAP the player like a forensic scanner. Whilst yes the sec assistant role is there to help in a chaotic round this is not always the case nor are they at terminals to assist.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
With a team I am able to be a supporting role, namely I'd spend so much time saying "No you don't get to execute them because you don't like them" to the angry botanist whose area was just sabotaged. When doing solo it is normally because the rounds are calmer with lower pop so you end up playing Sheriff, most antags tend to not go murder happy crazy either.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
Security, you inspire me to write.
I love the way you detain and prevent,
Protecting the station all day and through the night,
Always seeking to stop the big dissent.

Let me compare you to a pretender?
Security is more funny, loathsome and power.
When I signed up during the leafage of September,
And autumntime has the control tower.

How do I love you? Let me count the ways.
I love the glorious boots, baton and gun.
Thinking of the gorgeous baton fills my days.
My love for you is the alarming chun.

Now I must away with a heavy heart,
Remember my loyal words whilst we're apart.

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
Yeah it is kind of over-done but I had great fun disguising myself as Snake from Metal Gear, hiding under a box and looking for criminals. The ability to pounce from that box was good fun with the well known catch phrase.

Draw a picture!
https://imgur.com/a/reDgqLo - A comic strip.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I received a ban for going Skynet under standard laws in my first week on the server, I received a job ban from command roles that in that same period.
havent seen you in game but i love the comic strip
no, you wordlessly stationwiped on rp 3 days ago and tried to inject someone with sedatives as a nonantag on the shuttle 2 days ago. you probably need more time to learn when to reign in the classic-esque powergaming and how to de-escalate situations effectively so they dont end up with people shooting each other to death over something minor.
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to negative community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be July 7. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!