Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blindness could use a rework
As someone who sometimes plays a blind character without a VISOR, I think being blind needs a small rework.

Firstly being blind is almost always a choice. It's trivial to to fix eye damage from flashes or welders, and VISORs are scattered all over medbay. It also has the benefit of being undetectable eye protection. Being blind should be treated as a optional way to spice up the game.

The range that blind people can see should be reduced by one tile, 3 tiles is extremally generous and doesn't really sell the idea of not being able to see anything.

There should also be some small quality of life changes, such as being able to see your own emotes, or being able to tell if you've been injected/force-fed (but not if someone's trying to inject/force-feed you). Being able to read doesn't make much sense either.

An idea I'm not 100% sure on is having people around you appear as unknowns and not being able to examine them, however this might be too big of a disadvantage.

Feedback and more ideas would be great!
If someone farts or screams their icon should flash briefly visible
As I also play a blind character and take the visor off, heres my thoughts!

Firstly, I think the range blind people can see is fine. I RP that I dont see anything anyways, so having something to look at is nice compared to a very empty screen.

I would love being able to see my own emotes, and I’d argue that a blind man would know when someone is TRYING to inject/force feed them, cause like, they would be holding their arm still or opening their mouth.

As for reading, its a similar thing where I RP that I can’t read it, however honestly wouldn’t mind losing the ability to read.

While it is strange you can examine people, I like having that ability. It gives me something to look at OOC. And say, what if someone says they have some sort of smell in their flavor text? It’s nice to know this and to be able to RP, well, smelling said smell.
Can you not see your own emotes?? Can you bug report that, I’ll look into it. I thought I fixed blindness overlay issues with text and emotes
it's not an overlay thing, you just can't see most emotes when fully blind for fairly obvious reasons
Just got out of a mime round where I spent the round on a sec cart, and only at the end of the round realised emotes didn't work in vehicles. Blind people really need to see their own emotes.

(02-08-2022, 09:23 AM)Merlin1230 Wrote: As I also play a blind character and take the visor off, heres my thoughts!

Firstly, I think the range blind people can see is fine. I RP that I dont see anything anyways, so having something to look at is nice compared to a very empty screen.

I would love being able to see my own emotes, and I’d argue that a blind man would know when someone is TRYING to inject/force feed them, cause like, they would be holding their arm still or opening their mouth.

As for reading, its a similar thing where I RP that I can’t read it, however honestly wouldn’t mind losing the ability to read.

While it is strange you can examine people, I like having that ability. It gives me something to look at OOC. And say, what if someone says they have some sort of smell in their flavor text? It’s nice to know this and to be able to RP, well, smelling said smell.

I hadn't thought about it from an RP perspective as I only play main. My suggestions were really there to force non RP players into actually being blind, but your points make a lot of sense.
Here's something i've experienced when i last became blind (through using a welder with no eye protection): you can't see floating text.

This forces you to look away from what's going on so you can look at chat screen, essentially creating a situation where being blind makes it harder to hear. This should not be the case.

I think it'd be better if we could see the floating text. Not only would it make sense, but it would allow us to get a rough sense of where someone who's talking is.
(02-11-2022, 08:18 AM)stuck_in_void_HELP Wrote: Here's something i've experienced when i last became blind (through using a welder with no eye protection): you can't see floating text.

This forces you to look away from what's going on so you can look at chat screen, essentially creating a situation where being blind makes it harder to hear. This should not be the case.

I think it'd be better if we could see the floating text. Not only would it make sense, but it would allow us to get a rough sense of where someone who's talking is.

This has been the case since early january. If you've experienced it after that, you should report it as a bug.

see https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/7029