Mentor Application: Gonzako
Music 
Usual character name: Gonz Ako
BYOND username: Gonzako
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Gonzako
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Mainly 3 and 4 but I skeddadle around main every now and then.  

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
   My free time has gotten a bit short as of late but I still want to interact with the community so I thought this would be a great avenue. As of knowledge mainly I've delved a lot into the mechcomp and packets side of the game even though I've learned a bit of everything in every department except more advanced medical and botany. 

Since I've said all I wanted to say already I'm just gonna start listing facts that I found slightly obscure but intriguing nonetheless:

- Chaplain can heal by hitting people with their Bible. 
- Even though you can't normally operate on people over tables if they emote *faint (or are unconscious) over one will allow you to perform surgeries on them. I believe it's the same for dead people but I haven't put it to test yet. 
- Farts strangely convert co2 to plasma 

Now onto computer stuff:
- Running the guard buddy command "prman recall all" will let you sniff the headpass
-You can technically decode the sindicate pass for infinite pda explodes but it'll require luck.
- There are two ways to send a packet silently. You can use your pda with the packet sender program or you can send packers through writing to /mnt/radio/desiredFreq 
- Mech components use diferent encoding methods. This only comes into play once you start trying to nest packets. What matters here is that you sometimes have to use %26 on the signal builder to get an & character. 
- The security files don't use any kind of packets whenever they get updated. 

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about i t will):

None I know of.
well well well, if it isnt the notorious chair thief of Oshan...

in all seriousness Gonz is a great mechanic who knows an amazing amount about MechComp and how it works. Hes also very active in the Discord and is a nice person to talk to. As he stated in his app he is lacking knowledge in other departments but he is never hesitant to ask for assistance where he needs it and is always willing to learn new things.

i give him a +1 for the MechComp knowledge and willingness to learn how to do things he doesn't know.

However, I would recommend you try more varied roles and reading up on the wiki to boost your knowledge about other aspects of the game. While MechComp is a very hard to learn job and not many people know how to work it, its also a very niche job so a base knowledge about the rest of the stations mechanics would greatly improve you as both a player and a mentor
This is not a - or +1, but your "Reason for application + game experience" section is only 258 words.

Also, I suggest you put something a little more substantial about WHY you want to be a mentor rather than game tips unrelated to your experience + motivations.
iffy on it. your playstyle skirts awfully close to shit I would report as self-antagging, and you seem to not only be fully aware of this, but revel in it. I have no doubt you have a ton of mechcomp/packet knowledge that you can share with anyone who asks, but I wouldn't really be confident saying you'd be the sort of positive role model that mentors are expected to be
To me, a mentor is more than someone having in-depth knowledge. The most important part is how they would communicate with other people. They're someone who is willing to set aside whatever gimmicks or plans they were working on - and patiently and kindly talk to others. They are always open to cooperate and help with whatever is asked of them, when it is not expected of them or even relating to their current job.

From what I've seen and observed, you have good knowledge of things like mechanics, which a lot of people struggle with. But generally I've noticed you being too absorbed in your own gimmicks and plans to gauge if you are mentor material. I'd like to see you engaging and being more open to helping out other people around the station. If I notice it repeatedly, I'll be happy to give you the +1.
While your knowledge of the game certainly seems impressive the app itself is kind of lacking with some seemingly random facts about the game. There's more that comes to mentoring than just game knowledge. From my personal experience with you in game I just can't really recommend you. For now indifferent as your knowledge about the game certainly seems large.
+1, while the application is a bit lacking I've never actually had a bad experience with Gonz and they've helped me any time I did need it.
Afraid i remain largely unconvinced, not a -1 but i can't give it a +1 either. Like some people said, this doesn't come down to your knowledge as from what i've seen you seem quite knowledgable but rather i'm not convinced your general demeanour i would like to see in someone with a Mentor role. I'l have to agree with Jory/Waffleloffle where there were moments where you seemed quite proud when you managed to powergame or otherwise dominate.
He appears as a non-antag, to wish to force confrontations with other departments, especially security, when a gimmick of his is not received well. This would be setting a rather poor example as a mentor. While he does have the knowledge required, at this time I feel he does not have the temperament for a mentor. Also the reason for application + game experience section is not 300 words, and it would be better if he told us why he wants to be a mentor instead of random facts. -1
(02-14-2022, 02:06 PM)alexandregtg Wrote: He appears as a non-antag, to wish to force confrontations with other departments, especially security, when a gimmick of his is not received well. This would be setting a rather poor example as a mentor. While he does have the knowledge required, at this time I feel he does not have the temperament for a mentor. Also the reason for application + game experience section is not 300 words, and it would be better if he told us why he wants to be a mentor instead of random facts.  -1

Look, I didn't believe that a chicken gibber would give much trouble at all. On my side, it brought great interaction as I got to talk with a new topic with lots of new people.

Now on terms of our interactions. I publicy made it known to sec that I wasn't gonna dismantle it. So I wasn't gonna do it myself or give you the tools to do it. Now, the other interaction. I told you "I'm not comfortable with you on my mechlab, please stay behind the counter". We are in the RP server and, even if security has expanded access. I believe I can tell you not to be in what we'd call "the workplace". 

Look, I brought up an interesting topic around choice and death in a game where death matters very little. I'm sad you got frustrated but I'll stand my ground.
i don't really care for the application not being perfectly up to regulation, gonz has consistently been a friendly, well-meaning player whenever i see them. every interaction i've had with them has been friendly, even when there are good rationales to not be. i can definitely see them picking up the odd mentorhelp here and there.

i'd +2 if i could. i'm a big fan of your gameplay style and how you stir up the rounds.
as for the prior complaint - ultimately not every gimmick will hit the mark perfectly but don't let it deter you. i could see you picking up HoS if you play sec some with that round-deepening mindset i've seen from you.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to mixed community feedback and some concerns around your playstyle and conduct. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be May 5. (Also yeah please meet the word minimum next time.) In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep being a friendly and welcoming member of the community!