HoS Application for Spacious House / S. House
Usual character name: Spacious House / S. House
BYOND username: Shmiggy
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Shmiggy

Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Goon 1, rarely Goon 2 and 3

Reason for application:

I believe that after all my time  as an officer, I have amassed enough experience to qualify to be a Head of Security.  My skills have grown to the point where I can efficiently  coordinate and lead a Security team. When I play as an officer, I tend to feel a sense of reassurance and coordination in the presence of the HoS. When I am an antagonist, however, I tend to work harder and think more strategically, due to the extra firepower and togetherness  that the Security team will possess. I hope to replicate this same effect as HoS myself, by guiding the Security team and making the round more interesting for the bad guys. Hopefully, this application can evaluate if I have grown enough as an officer to fit the boots.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

My oldest memory of playing as an officer traces back to the Spring of 2021- although I played a little bit of the role back in 2020. I didn't start playing as Spacious House until around this time, and used random names and appearances until then. I had the officer role at the same priority as the other roles, but I rolled it more often than not due to its importance to the station. I will admit, I did not enjoy the job at times. Even when I didn’t want to play as an officer, I went through the entire shift and never quit my job. My mentality was always “Someone’s gotta do it”. As my time as an officer continued, I came to realize how enjoyable it was to work on a coordinated Security team. My initial disposition to the role likely stemmed from the way I used to play it. Originally, I just stunned anyone I thought was doing something wrong, then dragged them to the brig to be sentenced, rarely speaking or responding to teammates. As I grew as an officer, however, I found the value of communicating with my team members and the criminals I dealt with as well. Security soon became my favorite job, and although I do get burnt out from time to time, the sensation of teamwork cannot be accomplished by any other department I have played in. I hope that as an HoS, I can find the players that act how I used to act as they play the job, and change them for the better by showing them the value of teamwork, and that it’s not always about winning, but about having fun.

A staple of the Head of Security is to enforce the law not only to the civilians on station, but additionally their own team of officers and assistants. While I am hesitant to punish criminals harshly- with death for example, I will not be afraid to demote a misbehaving officer. Unauthorized execution of crew members, random beatings, and arrests without evidence, etc. are all grounds for demotion in my opinion. The idea of demoting someone truly is situational, as the actions of the antagonists against the crew vary greatly from round to round, which will call for different circumstances respectively.

Speaking of punishments, unless a crew member is going on a killing spree, or is targeting the heads of staff or my pals in sec, I find confiscation and jail time as sufficient punishment. This practice of repeatedly brigging criminals instead of executing them has resulted in my death on several occasions. Though there is nothing wrong with this. This has been enforced time after time as a theme among other Heads of Security: The goal is not to win, but instead to enforce Space Law and justice. Dying is sometimes part of the job when your department is such a high value target to antagonists. Taking that wizard’s gear and letting them go free or repeatedly brigging a hostile gangster instead of executing them has bit me in the ass more times than I can count- but I try to keep the mentality that we’re all here to have fun, and killing the bad guys right off the bat is the opposite of this. For me, the spicier the round, the better. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?

1. Utilize the securitron control file. I always set the securitrons to patrol at the start of every round. They are more useful when patrolling than guarding a specific spot. Additionally, the robots posses the “lockdown” and “guard” commands. Nuke ops deploying at botany? Use your PDA to send the securitrons there for some extra backup.
  2. Communication is key. I can understand why officers don’t speak on the radio all the time, sometimes they’re busy dealing with a perp. However, I feel that it is crucial to communicate during the following circumstances: 1. During a health alert.  I try my best to remember  to ask someone whose health alert triggers if they are doing okay. No response usually means they are in big trouble. Sometimes it’s reassuring to know that your teammates care for your safety. 2: When flagging someone for arrest. Always clarify the reason for the arrest over the radio. If you don’t, then I’ll assume your ID was stolen and someone is using it to tamper with the records, or you are flagging someone for arrest for a petty or convoluted reason.
  3. Never confiscate items that aren’t actually contraband. PDA’s are the most prevalent example of this. A PDA is someone’s own personal property. The practice of taking and looking through a PDA is, in my opinion, a corrupt practice that could potentially soil an entire round for PDA-reliant antagonists like the spy. Additionally, there is no need to confiscate tool belts or similar resources used to stage a jailbreak, which brings me to my next point.
  4. Use the lockers inside or the prison cells. Each cell is equipped with a locker that, when locked, will reopen automatically when the cell’s timer runs out. This is a great feature that I don’t see enough Security staff utilize.
  5. Use evidence when making the decision to arrest someone. Fingerprints and obvious possession of contraband are both valid reasons to arrest a potential criminal. Arresting someone based on suspicion alone is a behavior that I do not find ethical. Something I have been seeing more and more is creating a security record for the name “Unknown” and setting it to arrest. This poses a disadvantage for players who are obscuring their identity but happen to be completely innocent. I really don’t see a point to doing this.
  6. Sometimes, talking can be the solution to a dispute. I wish I would have done this more in my earlier Security days. Asking for a stolen object back, asking someone to changeling test them, and a multitude of other disputes can be solved by just speaking with someone. People tend to run more when they don’t know why Security is chasing and shooting at them. Can you blame them? You could be mindslaved for all they know!
  7. Make sure to examine potential threats. If you are approaching someone or someone is approaching you for whatever reason, give them a glance and prepare accordingly. If they have a sec belt, chances are they’re armed with a taser weapon. If they are wearing a shoulder holster, it’s likely they killed the detective. If they are wearing a katana sheath, you may have to get ready to stun them. Unfortunately, some criminals are beyond negotiation, so stunning them outright may be a good idea in this case.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    Very recently, I was an Officer when I suddenly received the death alert for the HoS. I took a pod out and collected their gear, as the corpse was spaced. I flew the pod back and brought the HoS’s data disk back to the cloner to resurrect them. As this was happening, I heard over the sec radio that the NTSO was mindslaved. I quickly ran to the Security wing and took down the NTSO, taking him to the medbooth to remove the implant. I’m a fan of these little solo operations, they are really interesting and tend to occur when the antagonists aren’t murdered right off the bat. It is especially rewarding to be reunited with your team after cloning them and dealing with the perp that did them in. 

• What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?

1. Removable helmet lights. I find that the light on the sec helmet is extremely useful, but it greatly limits the practicality of wearing anything other than the helmet due to usefulness of the light. The ability to remove it and place it on other hats or maybe even armor vests is both fashionable and practical. Perhaps using a screwdriver on the helmet can remove the light, and clicking on another piece of apparel with the light could attach it.
  2. Wall mounted utilities. I remember hearing about this idea from another discussion about Security. Wall mounted automemders could be used to heal wounded staff members or inmates. 
  3. Secmate prompts the user for an arrest reason. In secmate, setting someone to arrest should automatically prompt the user for minor crimes description and major crimes description. The user can leave them blank if they so choose, this is just a convenience I wish that the computers had.

• Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

I tend to experience solo sec less and less recently. Lots of new players have been joining as sec on Goon 1, so really the only solo Security experiences I play are when the other members of my team are dead or missing. I am on my feet more during such circumstances, as in some cases, I may be the only officer left. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

A pointless little role, in which comedy is its goal 

The clowns in town and he’s the station’s biggest fool.

He lubes the floors he bolts the doors, he makes me angry to the core.

Now he’s bloated, red and might be dead, since my baton just met his head.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

Trials in general have always been entertaining to me. I’ve seen a clown get put on trial for being unfunny and a captain get put on trial for making buttcrabs. I hope that if I get accepted as HoS, I can hold a trial myself.
  • Draw a picture!

https://ibb.co/QMchhjj
Shitty sketch drawn on my mouse of Spacious using the lawbringer to light a cigarette in paint.net   Morty

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):

Temp banned for 1 hour for thinking it’s ok to use deadchat knowledge to identify the game mode after I was cloned as a QM (metagaming)

from my experience they've been really nice and are worth the loud shoes
yea they good +1
Played with Spacious House a lot. +1.

Overall, above average Secoff, always kind and treats others well. Decently robust. Not one you have to worry about in terms of behavior.
Treats prisoners very fairly, and nothing more. Doesn't abuse their authority or the crew. Doesn't power-game. Cool-headed under pressure.

The only thing I'd recommend you improve upon would be making decisions for yourself.
At times I've seen you presented with a situation which requires you make a decision, and take decisive action.
To that end, you deliberate too long and end up with a much more problematic end.

Namely a situation a few days ago whereby a sec-assistant gained access to the Armory, and began griefing the team by firing upon them at random, thereafter joined by an antagonist. Spacious house was the only security officer to effectively combat and wrangle them both down, while the others scattered in a panic.
However in his kindness, Spacious permitted the Sec-assistant to return to the team, voiding any punishment. He immediately began firing upon the team once more.
Myself, a Staff assistant, had to come in an perform an execution.

On another instance about two months ago, the HoS was harming science. Bolting them in, setting up NARCs, harming them to the point of death; all on the basis that QGP had been made the round prior. An NTSO showed up, and began firing upon the HoS, in an attempt to halt his actions against the crew. Spacious house was one of three secoffs who descended upon the NTSO, stripping him of his gear and leaving him mostly naked in the brig. Up to this point, S. had never shown any such behavior, and hasn't displayed any such behavior since. If I recall correctly, from the 3 Secoffs, Spacious recommended that they return the gear, though that fell upon deaf ears.

These examples show a long-standing pattern of inability to decide, and act for oneself.
If you intend to be a leader, you will be making decisions not only for yourself, but also the team.
While not a bad secoff as a whole, I'd attribute this to a personality trait, or lack of experience.

It's good to be kind and listen to others. Do not be afraid to discipline your team. Don't be afraid to stand up to authority. Act decisively.

I can recommend Spacious House for Head of Security. +1.
(02-07-2022, 02:36 PM)Chayot Wrote: Played with Spacious House a lot. +1.

Overall, above average Secoff, always kind and treats others well. Decently robust. Not one you have to worry about in terms of behavior.
Treats prisoners very fairly, and nothing more. Doesn't abuse their authority or the crew. Doesn't power-game. Cool-headed under pressure.

The only thing I'd recommend you improve upon would be making decisions for yourself.
At times I've seen you presented with a situation which requires you make a decision, and take decisive action.
To that end, you deliberate too long and end up with a much more problematic end.

Namely a situation a few days ago whereby a sec-assistant gained access to the Armory, and began griefing the team by firing upon them at random, thereafter joined by an antagonist. Spacious house was the only security officer to effectively combat and wrangle them both down, while the others scattered in a panic.
However in his kindness, Spacious permitted the Sec-assistant to return to the team, voiding any punishment. He immediately began firing upon the team once more.
Myself, a Staff assistant, had to come in an perform an execution.

On another instance about two months ago, the HoS was harming science. Bolting them in, setting up NARCs, harming them to the point of death; all on the basis that QGP had been made the round prior. An NTSO showed up, and began firing upon the HoS, in an attempt to halt his actions against the crew. Spacious house was one of three secoffs who descended upon the NTSO, stripping him of his gear and leaving him mostly naked in the brig. Up to this point, S. had never shown any such behavior, and hasn't displayed any such behavior since. If I recall correctly, from the 3 Secoffs, Spacious recommended that they return the gear, though that fell upon deaf ears.

These examples show a long-standing pattern of inability to decide, and act for oneself.
If you intend to be a leader, you will be making decisions not only for yourself, but also the team.
While not a bad secoff as a whole, I'd attribute this to a personality trait, or lack of experience.

It's good to be kind and listen to others. Do not be afraid to discipline your team. Don't be afraid to stand up to authority. Act decisively.

I can recommend Spacious House for Head of Security. +1.

I really appreciate your feedback. I can most definitely accredit  the poorer of my decisions to my personality. Mainly, the fear of being belittled for performing potentially provocative actions against my team. But after reading your feedback, I can say that I must change how I make decisions and evaluate my them in comparison to the law and justice, rather than the opinions of my teammates. I can additionally blame my lack of questioning authority to the situation involving the NTSO. I complied with the person that I should trust the most, and didn’t question their actions even if they were corrupt. I have since learned that it is sometime necessary to act independently of my teammates and in the best interest of the law, but I have yet to directly question the decisions of a head of security.
House is a good sec off, very trustworthy, would very likely be a good HoS
I think Spacious would make a fantastic HOS.
+1 from me, I think S.House is ready. They have been putting quality secoff rounds in, round after round, and I believe now know how to influence the course of a round positively as HoS.
+1 They're entertaining and fun to play with as well as being reasonable as sec.
Good seccie, haven't had any problems with them from when I've played with them.

+1
Haven't seen much of S. House. But what i have seen was good. Polite, corteous, communicative. In fact, i recognice S. House's name more than his appearance, such is his presence on comms.

That being said, i haven't seen you a whole lot - Maybe a difference in timezones? Whatevet the case, my opinion here is based on limited data/first-hand knowledge, but since it's all good, then it's a 👍 from me.

+1
Yes, I believe you could handle the big hat.
+1 spacious is smelly enough
While I dont play security much, from what Ive seen of them theyve been pretty good, has a good presence on comms, +1
cool dud i like him
+1