Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New player Unfriendly
So I joined Goon2 a couple weeks ago and have been playing trying to learn my way around almost every day. During this time I have noticed a trend. This game is extremely new player unfriendly, and some of that is due to the nature of the game, which is honestly just fine. I have no complaints about the game being hard, it makes it fun more often than not. However, the players themselves often make this game EXTREMELY hard to play when you don't know what's going on. I have quite a few stories where a very experienced player decides that they're gonna run the show and either abuse the fact that the new players don't know the systems yet, or just straight up kill them and grief them. Even in the last game I played, I finally had gotten Captain for the first time and was trying to learn how to play, when suddenly someone breaks into the bridge, steals things from my locker, and runs off. Later on in the same round that same person stole the HoS locker and tried to break into it. They also broke into the armory, set of flashes and smokes everywhere in the hallways, and were just really obnoxious. The biggest annoyance was when I actually was trying to be friendly with them. I told them I was new and they took advantage of that. They asked to borrow my glasses (I know now that I'm actually a fucking idiot for listening) and they flashed me so they could steal my captains saber. The entire round this person had basically just taken my job, was running the ship, and had stolen nearly everything off of me of any value.

Is this something reportable? I'm so sick of this continuing to happen no matter what job I play, no matter what time I play, and no matter what server I play on (Goon1 is just as bad). Or is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? I honestly don't think I'll continue to play if I'm never even afforded the opportunity to learn how to do so.

TL;DR: I'm new and your experienced players are toxic af. I can't learn how to play if I'm just being fucked with every time I play.
My advice to you would be to NOT start out as a captain. Sure there's not a whole lot of actual responsibility, but you tend to get fucked with more since you have the All Access IDs.
If someone is being a jerk, absolutely ahelp the situation and calmly explain what's going on with names.

If they were a traitor, you're out of luck and your best course of action is to try to laugh it off OR recruit people for Security to help you, in my opinion.
Lessons learned, Buckleman. The player, whether Antagonist or not, decided to leverage his experience over you.

You, too, learn how to best combat people like this.
I'm not trying to say "Get good loser!!!!", I'm saying skill and experience are a big part of the game.

You can beat down anyone with armor and guns, with your bare hands, if you're skilled enough.
To me, that's a big reason why I like SS13, and Goon as a whole--you never know who will win.

Consider your situation, and how you can do better next time.
You are Captain. You command the ship, including Security and the AI.
There are any number of orders and help you could've used at your disposal.

Learn, and do better next time.

I get what you're saying, and I'm not trying to downplay it.
However, to try to control the actions of others--that's just silly. They're not Toxic. They got an Antag round, finally, and are going wild.
While I agree that it's mean to pick on new people, I don't believe that was his intention, he was simply having fun by the sound of it.
I think the moral of the story is we should stop calling captain a new player friendly role and timelock it like security
(01-31-2022, 03:39 PM)Chayot Wrote: Lessons learned, Buckleman. The player, whether Antagonist or not, decided to leverage his experience over you.

You, too, learn how to best combat people like this.
I'm not trying to say "Get good loser!!!!", I'm saying skill and experience are a big part of the game.

You can beat down anyone with armor and guns, with your bare hands, if you're skilled enough.
To me, that's a big reason why I like SS13, and Goon as a whole--you never know who will win.

Consider your situation, and how you can do better next time.
You are Captain. You command the ship, including Security and the AI.
There are any number of orders and help you could've used at your disposal.

Learn, and do better next time.

I get what you're saying, and I'm not trying to downplay it.
However, to try to control the actions of others--that's just silly. They're not Toxic. They got an Antag round, finally, and are going wild.
While I agree that it's mean to pick on new people, I don't believe that was his intention, he was simply having fun by the sound of it.

I think I might have failed to explain the situation. They were not the antag. And I got autofilled into the captain role when I didn't even have it prioritized (It was pretty late at night with few people, so it makes sense). If either of these were not the case then I wouldn't have any issue. And as far as this players fun goes I'm fine with people screwing around. Genuinely. I screw around all the time and that's what makes it so fun, but I don't use my innate knowledge of the game to force new players into a stunlock so I can steal their shit when I'm not an antagonist. I was under the presumption that if you aren't an antagonist your job was to work together, or at the very least not remove people from the game without due cause. 

I don't really want to control people's actions. I'm just looking for a way to avoid these situations or a clarification on what can be reported as griefing. Like I've said before, if every time I log on to this game I get beat into submission or killed by someone who isn't an antag then how am I ever supposed to learn how to play? I'd really like to learn this game. It seems really fun. I just can't play for more than two minutes without someone fucking with me.

(01-31-2022, 06:44 PM)Lady Birb Wrote: I think the moral of the story is we should stop calling captain a new player friendly role and timelock it like security

Please do. I got autofilled into it and I was so pissed because I just wanted to figure out some QM or science stuff
If they are not an antag and they are doing antag shit ahelp them full stop. If a player doesn't respect the most basic of server rules we don't need them around end of story.
I’m sorry that happened to you, experienced players should really know better.

To reinforce what others are saying: what you have described them doing as a non antagonist (flashing and stealing stuff off of people, breaking into the armoury) is griefing and against the server rules - if this happens again you can report it via ahelping. Note if you do report someone don’t expect a response or visible action (in the past people have abused this to try and antag check…), but round logs are very extensive and all ahelps are sent to discord and will be looked at eventually.
Hell, PM me the player name if you remember it and around the time you were playing, and I'll check it out.

PM though, please!
Mhm. Just sounds like griefing in that case, not even someone trying to play the game.

And eh. Timelocking the Captain is just unnecessary at this point. The sole reason Security was timelocked was because players kept joining Security for the weapons, and immediately griefing the crew. Thus the timelock, and Sec-assistant, were born.

Captain's haven't been a problem, and this is just one instance out of an untold number of new players, including myself (when I was new), who got it and did just fine.
Something to keep in mind is that captain has priority over other roles, so putting it on low still gives you a high chance to roll captain. The best way to not roll captain is to well, set it to unwanted. Captain also doesn’t really have any responsibility, it’s responsibility is whatever you want it to be, so its not exactly the worst role a new player can do.
Captain is fine for new player unless its on RP. I don't know shit about RP but on normal goon servers the captain really doesn't matter to the round. It's just an all access grey suit.
I'm considerably new (~3 months) and I've never had a problem on Goon 4

Being a grayshirt main in the beginning seems like the way to go, because there's very little no real expectations of you.  I have one character that's just an absolute fool who I use to test out game mechanics, and a second alt character that's Just A Guy Doing His Best™ for practicing other roles by doing "internships"

There's some definite things that put a target on your head though, like openly carrying around items antags need or that security wants back  or having a fancy custom job title, clownin' around, etc. 

I played my first game as ling this week and the people I killed all helped me in OOC chat to be better at it. Goon is a good community, don't let a couple people give you the wrong impression.
If you're still having a rough time, you can always join one of the RP servers. I won't claim they're perfect, but lately they have pretty mid level lobbies. If you're willing, hop in on a round and radio someone if you want to learn the ropes. Even if you mistakenly get captain, security is very responsive.

To be clear, I don't know how you enjoy the game. If RP isn't your jam, i completely understand
(02-03-2022, 03:39 PM)swinglow20 Wrote: If you're still having a rough time, you can always join one of the RP servers. I won't claim they're perfect, but lately they have pretty mid level lobbies. If you're willing, hop in on a round and radio someone if you want to learn the ropes. Even if you mistakenly get captain, security is very responsive.

To be clear, I don't know how you enjoy the game. If RP isn't your jam, i completely understand

I actually recommend RP to learn the game since RP tends to be slower then Main.
Main has some RP elements but it's very low, people rather meta on it.
On RP Meta-gaming is frowned upon unless to setup a RP gimmick that isn't gonna murder/cripple other players.

Also on RP since people have time and use LOOC, you get time to learn some basics.
Also don't be afraid to hit the call a mentor button.

The game is indeed NEW PLAYER UNFRIENDLY, it's suppose to be part of the game universe where you are all cheap replacable employees and incompitence leaves to death but death is cheap so.. "Eh"

But if you want to learn more.. just go to RP, we do not mind players that don't RP alot if they wanna learn things. Just don't do things that breaks RP, breaks your job or breaks the station (Unless antag). And even if you do break the station (Donut 3 Singularity), people understand that it was incompetence.
But as far as I know... RP Antags 9/10 DO NOT do this shit on a regular basis.
Most of the time they gotta be provoked and try something goofier like making chicken POT pies that have 110 potency so people go crazy!