ilovemybonk Mentor Application (Johnny Jofefee / Terry Hintz)
Usual character name: Johnny Jofefee and Terry Hintz (Terry is a new teacher character).

BYOND username: ILoveMyBonk

Discord username (if you are on our discord): iLoveMyBonk

Recommended by (if applicable): I’ve been told by a few people that I would probably make a good mentor because I'm friendly, but no official recommendations. I was encouraged by Adhara to write this application, but not specifically recommended either.

Goon servers you play: Mostly 3 and 4. (Rarely 1 and 2).

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum): Where to begin. I’d say I’m joining for two main reasons. First off, of course, is to teach newer players how to play. Helping newer players take the first step in this game can help them make the paramount decision as to whether or not they want to keep playing the game or not. First impressions can make a world of difference. I want to be able to teach new players how to find their footing and continue seeing them in the coming weeks and months, until they’re basically better than I am at the game. Secondly, I’d like to be more connected to the community. I want to be able to give more back to this community in the way that it gave to me. I want to do more than just exist around this community; I want to help grow it as well.
Now, with that being said, despite having around six hundred hours in Goonstation, I’m not the most learned player when it comes to the most complex of this game's mechanics. Hell, I’ll be honest, I started the engine once and I decided I never wanted to do it again and I still don’t know how to calibrate the teleporter. However, I still have loads of experience in certain jobs. My main jobs have been security officer, medical doctor, and janitor. I know just about everything you’d need to know to play those roles and then some, given these jobs are actually rather simple when you come to learn them. Sec is considered very hard to play, but you just need to know how to communicate with your team, manage a few computer systems, ticket or detain trouble causers, and make sure you don’t give someone an unjust sentence. Besides that though, I mostly know how to play all of the jobs except engineer. I’ve learned how to: cook sandwiches, mop floors, brew liquid flesh, serve drinks, grow herbs, buy low and sell high, lead multiple departments, cook high explosives, give new ids, attach new limbs, give someone fire breath, box, repair doors, hack doors, break down doors, start revolutions, remodel different rooms, lead unions, revive the dead, given pep talks to murderers, tasered rampaging antagonists, performed exorcisms, summoned godly powers, summoned a big hat, went to hell, came back from hell because I complained too much, and make friends. I am more than willing to impart the how to’s of this information upon the new generation of spacemen and spacewomen.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I’ve been discord banned for about an hour by UrsulaMajor. I said something about the coprolalia genetic trait that I don’t think she liked, even though I basically agreed with what she was saying about it. Nothing else has come of it so I don’t think about it too much.
Please take this as some constructive criticism, as this isn't exactly a full negative or positive and I hope some of these things have changed.

I've played some rounds with you in security, and I've seen you set a rather bad example in terms of RP and how officers should act. You can be very heavy handed in your actions, such as little talking, quick to arrest, and talking over the HoS who is trying to defuse a situation and escalating the situation past what it needed to be. Granted, while most of this is about security, I would feel that a mentor playing as security should set a positive example, and a big part of teaching the newer officers is to relay the attitude to them needed for the job. I would not feel too great about you teaching those interested in security, especially if they're using you as an example. This also makes me very apprehensive about you being able to roll HoS on Fridays. I feel a mentor should be setting a positive example for everyone, no matter what role they're playing. My main concern here is ingame decisions and interactions with other players. Also, for just me personally, I have not witnessed you ever helping anyone. This is my own observation, you may well very do so and I just haven't seen it.

That being said, you do seem to have a good grasp of the game mechanics, and you certainly know how to use security tools. I can also tell you very much love the community and want to help. A little bit of time has passed since the above play, and it's very well possible that behavior has changed. We all make mistakes, (I've made plenty and still do), learn, and change for the better. I'm more than willing to come back here and give an updated response if I can confidently see this has changed, as well if I witness you helping folks and have just missed it.
You're right KingMorshu, I haven't been the best security officer in the past and I'd be lying to you if I said I was a model officer now. However, I do promise that I have made an effort to better myself and be a better figure when it comes to sec, and even all jobs as a whole. I hope that I can prove to you and the other people I may have let down concerning my conduct that my playstyle has changed for the better!
haven't really seen you teaching or helping people ingame at all, and the part about wanting the role to get more integrated in the community really sets off alarm bells in my head. cannot trust that you're in it to help people and not just planning to use the role as means to a social status end.
I definitely try to help people out where I can, but I don't usually run into too many people that need too much help because Security, basically my main job area, has lately been staffed full of people that know what they're doing. Don't get me wrong though, I like helping out newer Security Assistants and even newer Security Officers when they come around though. I'll try to make it a goal of mine to put myself in more situations where I can help others, maybe play Terry (my coach) more or play in med bay, where I can meet more people. Regarding me chasing social status, I won't give some bland self-righteous response about how status means nothing to me. Status does mean a lot to me, but I'm striving to gain a positive status through my actions and deeds, not just a title. I genuinely want to be able to help newer players and answer mentor helps more than just getting a new title and a purple name, although I will admit it's a nice upside. If me admitting that gives grounds for one to not support my application, I understand; I don't wish to be untruthful. However, I mean this wholeheartedly, if I was given mentor abilities with the tradeoff that I couldn't have a purple name or the mentor title, I'd take it any day. I'm hoping I can prove this in the coming future, like how I want to prove to KingMorshu that I've become a better security officer.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to negative community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be May 5. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep being a friendly and welcoming member of the community!