Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PR idea - making names of those set to an arrest status visible through sechuds
Information 
I was thinking of making a PR that would make it so that anyone wearing sechuds would automatically see the names of anyone set to an arrest status - basically like examining a person to see their name but always on. Looking for thoughts/feedback if this would be a good idea or not.

On one hand, I think this would be nice for sec officers to see the names of people set to an arrest status, considering there's already an icon symbol available showing that they are set to some status. It would also help with quicker threat assessment.

However, I wasn't sure if this would be too much of a leg up for sec officers in terms of having an advantage over other players, notably the antagonists.

I wasn't sure if this wasn't in the game just because it was never added, or if there was a reason for not having it done.

Also a side idea, I was thinking of making it so that another setting in a security records computer could be set - a "Sechud flag," which if set, this value would appear along with the person's name, in place of the pronoun that appears for examining, which could help communicate reasons why someone is set to arrest a little easier, but not sure if this would be valuable/wanted or not. Like someone could set a flag "Murder" or "Husk."
I honestly do not play enough Security or Antag (or really at all recently oops) to have a say in the balance side of things. However, this is a very clever idea that I very much so like the sound of, and just seems like a QoL feature for an already demanding and punishing role, which is always good.
I don't believe this would provide any sort of advantage, beyond cluttering the UI.

We don't really need to know who we're arresting.
If we see their name, we still have to call it in and determine if anyone wants them, or if it's a Jailbird.

I believe your second idea to be more appropriate, as we often ask, not "Who is marked for arrest," but "Why is this person marked for arrest?"
All the same, I'm not sure how this'd interact with the UI. I think it'd be more appropriate to add it to the Examine screen.
So that you wouldn't know why someone is wanted, until your SECHUD reads it out to you.
(When you ALT+click someone, it describes them. Sechud would allow you to view their reason for arrest, at the bottom of the examine report.
Though this field is often left empty, in RP it might be more useful.)
(01-23-2022, 01:17 PM)Chayot Wrote: I don't believe this would provide any sort of advantage, beyond cluttering the UI.

We don't really need to know who we're arresting.
If we see their name, we still have to call it in and determine if anyone wants them, or if it's a Jailbird.

I believe your second idea to be more appropriate, as we often ask, not "Who is marked for arrest," but "Why is this person marked for arrest?"
All the same, I'm not sure how this'd interact with the UI. I think it'd be more appropriate to add it to the Examine screen.
So that you wouldn't know why someone is wanted, until your SECHUD reads it out to you. 
(When you ALT+click someone, it describes them. Sechud would allow you to view their reason for arrest, at the bottom of the examine report.
Though this field is often left empty, in RP it might be more useful.)

Forgot to mention it, but an alternative could be making a separate mode for sechuds, like how meson goggles have, that turns the UI functionality on/off, if that makes more sense/works better?

Some of the motivation was more around threat assessment, like if you know there is someone going around on a rampage who you haven't caught yet versus someone who's been set on released and who's gear has been taken away. More cases would be for someone who is changing appearances often, or fast paced moments.
I am going to provide a counterpoint to Chayot here there could be a scenario where you have a nuisance set to arrest, a jailbird, and an actual threat. If I see a name attached to a message like Corporate SHill is stabbing me to death I currently have alt over their icon to I know who is who. With the proposed idea it means that I can walk by MOPSY as a nuisance, Holmes Alone as jailbird, and get laser focused in easier on Corporate Shill all because their name was added to the ui. It is especially handy for recognizing new people to the station, people who frequently change character, and people who change roles often. That being said it honestly might be too good would make sec dogpiling even easier.
Seems like some good suggestions here. I especially like the idea of making the arrest reasonable visible, perhaps as part of the examine text. During chaotic rounds it can be really annoying to have to constantly check the sec list and/or call it in on the radio whenever you see someone with an arrest flag who you've not heard anything about or possibly forgot about. On RP spending time to check is probably fine, but on the regular server it can be quite a headache.
I do like the idea of Sec Huds and the arrest record having synergy. Like an option to examine someone and have their record automatically pulled up on the PDA program

[Image: tumblr_nvi7z0L4HM1rdb6zlo1_500.jpg]
Alternatively we could give sec PDAS a record track built in or a scanner like the medtrak scanner medic PDAs have

Probably not the track, it would be far too powerful if someone steals a sec pda
I like the idea, though i prefer the "examine sends info to PDA" option more, as it seems more balanced and useful. I wouldn't have to ask sec over the radio if anyone set them to arrest, i could just check the records myself.
I think the premise of the initial idea is to make it so that you don't have to try and alt+click on someone once you're close to them to get a solid read on their name; being able to ascertain an identity at-a-glance seems to be the primary suggestion here.
Maybe make the amount of ! on the icon for arrest correlate to severity? 1 for stuff like underage drinking and jailbirds, 2 for crimers, and 3 for people who have an APB out for them
(01-25-2022, 07:44 PM)aft2001 Wrote: I think the premise of the initial idea is to make it so that you don't have to try and alt+click on someone once you're close to them to get a solid read on their name; being able to ascertain an identity at-a-glance seems to be the primary suggestion here.

Yeah that was one of the main ideas. I think the PDA program would be cool, but in terms of having fast feedback I think it would probably be easier to read through the examine report, if not displayed visually with the person, like others have suggested, just including the sechud flag and maybe who set them to arrest. From this view, I think the PDA program would probably verge on the scope of a separate, or follow up, PR, but again would still be cool to have.
Examine adding a sec record with the examine would be pristine as hell imo
Mhm. PDA Or Examine screen.
(Though with PDA, you'll have to grab out your PDA, and suffer a pop-up box on your screen while they may initiate combat if they realize you're onto them)
With Examine, of course you can keep walking, watching, reading and scrolling.

I'd support Examine screen more. But eh, whatever y'all decide.

Overall, getting names would make SEC's job easier, but is that what we want? For Sec to know at all times, who's who in a room, without having to rely on skill, preparation, or experience?
As it stands, with arrest record, this requires planning on part of sec to do set up, thereafter you can easily enough identify someone in a room who is your target.
(In your sec gameplay, look up their job description, inform your team they may be wearing staffie/engineer jumpsuit, in case their identity is being hidden, negating arrest status.)

So someone who is wanted but not yet set to arrest might better slip past sec at least until this is done. In that regard, they may see you enter a room with them in it, and slip out, or strike first. That is their advantage in remaining hidden. However if Sec enters a room, and within seconds, can identify their target by name, (Unkown) that would take away their advantages. Is this really what we want?

I guess y'all'd've thought on it more than I, just think of yourself on the other end of the deal there.

This may be considered off-topic - As it stands, the AI can already track crew instantaneously as long as they're on cams.
If Anything, I'd think it to be more appropriate for the AI to get this ability, as a toggle function, as a large part of their job is collecting and relaying information, otherwise generally being plugged into all systems on the ship. I don't know how far of a fetch it'd be to say they know who is who, and where, at all times (on cams).

Sorry to bore with a wall of text.